View Full Version : Compatibility of US LCD TV in HKG

gvandy
29th Jan 2008, 22:58
Hey guys, I am heading to HKG in March and would like to bring my LCD TV with me. I am coming from the US and am familier with the Voltage differences (could use a stepdown transformer?..) I was wondering if anyone on these boards has tried this with any success or if it is even worth it??

Ex Douglas Driver
29th Jan 2008, 23:01
Have you had a look on the back of the TV as some are multi-voltage capable (i.e 110 - 230V)? In that case all you'll need to get is a new cable.

HotDog
30th Jan 2008, 00:04
Not so, Ex Douglas Driver.

Hong Kong television standard is PAL1.

Color encoding
There are three main standards in use around the world, PAL (Phase Alternating Line), NTSC (National Television System Committee) and SECAM (Séquentiel Couleur à Mémoire—Sequential Color with Memory).

The system used in North America is NTSC. Western Europe, Australia, and Eastern South America use PAL. Eastern Europe used SECAM, but switched to PAL after the change of the political regimes there. France still uses SECAM. Generally, a device (such as a television) can only read or display video encoded to a standard which the device is designed to support; otherwise, the source must be converted (such as when European programs are broadcast in North America or vice versa).

Dan Winterland
30th Jan 2008, 02:38
Depends on what you want to watch. Terrestial TV has two English language stations, but they are now available in High Definition. Neither much good, all game shows and American sitcoms. And you can get CCTV9 if you really do want to watch the PRC propoganda channel in English.

Most people sign up to another service such as PCCW or I cable to get a whle range of channels and you can use an NTSC TV with some of their decoders, I know at least a couple of people who do this. But if all you want to do is watch DVDs (very cheap over the border ;-) ) it doesn't matter what TV you have if your DVD machine is multi region/ multi system. Most are these days.

However, TVs and electronic equipment are very good value in HK. the usual first purchase for any new mover to HK is an enourmous plasma/LCD screen which is usually far to big for your apartment. 42" is usually considered the minimum! Now what I would do if I was in your position is by a big screen with a DVI input driven by a multimedia computer with a Blu Ray drive, a terrabite of memory, good sound card, TV card and internet connection (very fast in HK). This will suffice for all your entertainment needs and be future proof.

My big plasma screen has a DVI input and the multimedia computer is an imminent purchase!

Remember, he who dies with the most gadgets wins!

Beta Light
30th Jan 2008, 06:16
This thread translated for those joining from Africa:

No, you don’t have to bring your own candles.

Ex Douglas Driver
30th Jan 2008, 08:34
Thanks HotDog

I made the assumption that because it's an LCD TV, it'll accept all the international video standards coming through a traditional video plug (composite, S-video) - perhaps wrong but the last couple I've had, did.

If the input is either DVI or HDMI then there's no international format problem, just so long as the resolution output is supported by the display (either native support or the display scales the image).

My 42" Sharp Aquos LCD 1080P display supports PAL, PAL 60, SECAM, NTSC 3.58/4.43 through all of the inputs, as well as the TV tuner, as well as being multi voltage.

NOW Tv has released a few HD channels (not that I have them) - hopefully there's a few more to come, as the 64 pixels used to display the rest makes viewing a chore sometimes!