PDA

View Full Version : ME IR and Skills test - recommended skool?

D-IFF_ident
29th Jan 2008, 20:03
A 'ahem' friend of mine needs to take and ME IR and possibly a skills test too. With the required number of hours for QSP ME only requiring the Air Law exam, Class 1 Medical and an IR to open his license - he is 'current', but cannot take the IR on his usual a/c (much like the chaps of 99 I believe).

Can anyone recommend a suitable establishment for the required training? The closer to Oxfordshire the better....
And if they take short-notice applicants, he'd like to do it soon....

Cim Jartner
29th Jan 2008, 22:57
Well - for military pilots there's Airways Flight Training at Exeter - a well trodden route and, although they may not appear the cheapest on paper, you will only fly exactly what you need and won't pay any extras on top of the quoted price - unless you cock up! Not near Oxford I agree but with B&Bs available for about £12 a night down there, worth the travel!

brit bus driver
30th Jan 2008, 00:40
D-IFF....I second AFT at Exeter. They are first class, and the plethora of mil pics adorning the walls there bears testament to the level of 'repeat business' they get from the military community.

They are mostly ex-mil and will look after you and, as posted, tailor the package to fit your needs. The CFI, Brian Marindin, is an ex-RN FJ chap (and a signed up member of the M-B club) and retired Cathay TriStar training captain (fine pedigree....:cool:).

If you're on resettlement, I think you can reclaim the T&S but check with your resettlement advisor. PM me if you need any more details.

PlasticCabDriver
30th Jan 2008, 07:54
It's that Cim Jartner chap again. Feel sure I know who he is, but just can't quite put my finger on it...

Axel-Flo
30th Jan 2008, 09:46
Why would you want to put your finger on it, it's not covered in Chilli sauce.......!

Gezaware
30th Jan 2008, 10:50
MultiFlight at Leeds were excellent. Flew the minimum required to pass the IR. They will discount the cost of the MCC if you fly the ME/IR with them. MCC cost £2000. They have 3 twins and they give you priority as they know you have a tight schedule. The new cafe and facilities at Multiflight are fantastic. If you are on resettlement you can book your accom in Harrogate.

Good Luck

wetdreamdriver
30th Jan 2008, 15:08
AFT at Exeter were great and the airspace around there is nice and quiet. As for accommodation I stayed at Lympstone with the Booties - not that far to drive each day and cheap(free!). Best of luck with the most expensive piece of rip off the CAA surely can come up with!!!!

Cim Jartner
30th Jan 2008, 19:13
Shhhh - I'll give you a clue.........

http://www.tytheringtongymkhana.org.uk/gymkhana_1%20.jpg

PlasticCabDriver
31st Jan 2008, 19:08
Your name is Tyth Ho?

Cim Jartner
31st Jan 2008, 19:27
Don't be so dense - My name is Sally and I like riding horses!!! Especially my chestnut gelding....Dobbo

will fly for food 06
1st Feb 2008, 07:48
There has been a few ex military people going through BCFT at bournemouth recently.

airborne_artist
1st Feb 2008, 08:14
Especially my chestnut gelding....Dobbo

You've got two then? You must have, because the one in the picture is a dun. A chestnut wouldn't have a black mane/tail, and black on the legs and muzzle.

BEagle
1st Feb 2008, 08:27
CJ, I'm not quite sure what relevance your picture of a girl with firm thighs astride half a ton of self-propelled dog food at the Tytherington Gymkhana might have?

PlasticCabDriver
1st Feb 2008, 11:37
BEagle said "firm thighs". He he he he. Just waiting for someone to say gusset now.

Shackman
1st Feb 2008, 11:57
Actually all he's waiting for are the fireworks!