PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter logging in Scotland 1956

RINKER
29th Jan 2008, 19:21
Hope this works it's my first attempt at posting a photo.After the recent storms in Scotland we had some roof damage to our workshop and some of the inner roof covering had also fallen away.There were a number of old newspapers strewn around the floor with other debris and the newspapers caught my attention as they were all dated 1956. I think thy were used for insulation. As I cleared up the mess this photo and article were lying open on the floor and I thought you guys and gals might find it interesting.As I fly Helicopters myself and I deal with the Forestry Commission I was quite interested.If you can't read the text I will re type it.Incidentally It's from "The Childrens Newspaper" November 17 1956 page 7 ,the author is not named. I wondered about copyright and lo and behold a little googling produced a website reffering to a company that seems to have an interest so I emailed them and they e mailed me back to say they had no problem with me posting it here.They are [url]www.lookandlearn.com. So I hope it may bring back memories for somehttp://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg235/USI620/b471956pic.png
R

Jim Dean
30th Jan 2008, 01:50
Is that a genuine photo or an artist's impression? The logs only seem to be secured at one point in the middle. That's going to make it interesting in flight!

B Sousa
30th Jan 2008, 04:14
Pretty sure thats a Photo. Its just a bit old. The aircraft of course is a Bell 47 of the older fashion ( Single Fuel tank across the back of the Cabin) Military OH-13 (E) Franklin 6 cylinder engine, I think 235 HP. What a fun machine to fly. The logs do not appear heavy and secured OK based on the fact he is probably only going to fly at about 50-60 knots. With that load it would probably take no less than a year to haul enough to build a house...ha ha

Those were the days.