PDA

View Full Version : Landing at an ala in training area

MCKES
29th Jan 2008, 05:49
In the privileges and limitations of the BAK book for a student pilot with GFPT. It says that they may fly within the student pilot area limit ( training area ). It doesn't however mention the use of ALA's or other fields within the area such as Kagaru in the STA of YBAF. Does a student pilot have the right to land at such a strip? To me it was always known that you could only take off and land at the same aerodrome which you were trained at.
Thanks

Jabawocky
29th Jan 2008, 06:31
It never applied to me as I never had a GFPT, went straight past and did not collect $200...........however I think you can, but I am really keen to see the responses on here.

Good question....lets see what you get!

There will be a reg covering it......just too lazy to look it up!:}

J:ok:

No1Dear
29th Jan 2008, 06:47
the regs permit it.
so too must the company operating manual.

ForkTailedDrKiller
29th Jan 2008, 06:51
I would be surprised if you can legally do that.

I have never held a GFPT but I did hold its predecessor the Restricted PPL for a few weeks - many years ago. Under that you could only land at the aerodrome from which you had taken off and you were restricted to flying within the training area of that aerodrome.

.... but what would I know!

Dr :8

WannaBeBiggles
29th Jan 2008, 07:48
Pretty sure you have to land at the same aerodrome you departed from.. just can't find the damn reference! :ugh:

Charlie Foxtrot India
29th Jan 2008, 12:29
Ask the instructor who is authorising your flight.

Yes, you can land and take off from elsewhere, eg a student on a navex with or without a GFPT, along the route authorised by your isntructor.

CAR 5.69

chimbu warrior
29th Jan 2008, 19:35
If it is an ALA, then the owner's permission would be required.

Capt Mo
30th Jan 2008, 08:41
I agree to alot of the above

- The ALA needs to be approved in the company operations manual or by the CFI

- you need permission to land from the owner

- you must be authorised by your instructor to do so - as CFI said. Even for the BK guys - you cant just go to YHOX or YSCN on your GFPT unless you have been authorised to do so.

Mo

MOQ
30th Jan 2008, 09:50
CAR 5.69 states;
(1) An authorised flight instructor must not permit a student pilot to fly an aircraft as pilot in command if the flight is not:
(a) in a traffic pattern; or
(b) if the student has flown 2 hours of flight time in a traffic pattern as pilot in command of an aircraft of the category used for the flight — within the student pilot area limit; or
(c) if the aircraft is being flown for the purposes of cross country training — along a route specified by the instructor.

CAR 5.72 states;
(1) An authorised flight instructor must not permit a student pilot to fly as pilot in command of an aircraft in which a passenger is carried.
(3) It is a defence to a prosecution under subregulation (1) if:
(a) the flight takes place solely within the student pilot area limit; and
(b) The student pilot has passed a general flying progress flight test, and a basic aeronautical knowledge examination, for aircraft of the category used for the flight.

CAR2 states;
Student pilot area limit, in relation to a flight undertaken by a student pilot, means:
(a) A traffic pattern; or
(b) The area within 10 miles from the aerodrome reference point of the aerodrome from which the flight commenced; or
(c) A flying training area associated with the aerodrome from which the flight commenced; or
(D) the most direct route between the aerodrome from which the flight commenced and a flying training area associated with the aerodrome

I cannot see how a student pilot can be authorised to fly in to ALAs within the training area with passengers on board, unless the instructor has authorised the student to conduct a “cross-country flight”; in this is the case no passenger can be carried on board.

It is also worth considering that flying school’s air operator certificate only allows the school to conduct flying training from a particular aerodrome. This is normally the aerodrome where the school is based, and possibly another aerodrome or two if the school is big enough to have satellite bases.

Student pilot area should be specified in the operations manual of the school, and I doubt many schools includes aerodrome other than base aerodrome.

MCKES
30th Jan 2008, 11:11
Thanks everyone for your help full replies, I was just interested as it was not 100% defined, thanks:ok:

Lasiorhinus
30th Jan 2008, 11:21
I cannot see how a student pilot can be authorised to fly in to ALAs within the training area with passengers on board, unless the instructor has authorised the student to conduct a “cross-country flight”; in this is the case no passenger can be carried on board.

CAT, CAR 5.72 (3) (b), in your post, gives the answer. If the student has passed the GFPT, they may carry passengers. Flights are still subject to authorisation by an instructor, but you can carry passengers.

MakeItHappenCaptain
5th Feb 2008, 08:30
Had a student return with excessive split on times from solo nav. When queried further, confessed to having conducted ops at two very busy CTAF's along the way. One of which has meat bombing, rec, gliders and GA. Definitely not a place to send a pre-PPL student.

In this case student was couselled and will not offend again.:=

I would strongly advise that all authorisation sheet routes should include minimum heights, sequences to be practised, landing points allowed, etc. When bloggs decides to practise strafing the island ferry at 50', the man in the white wig will be looking squarely at the authorising signatue and what they allowed the student to do.

As far as I'm aware, Kagaru is no longer friendly to flying school training (PFL's, Prec Sch and definitely not landings) anyway. Something about the owner being stung big time for a reveiw with no consideration for allowing the school to use his facilities.:confused: Anyone confirm?

MCKES
5th Feb 2008, 20:05
Yes ops are ok at Kagaru, have done so before under instruction. Must have permission though.