PDA

View Full Version : Norton/Vista Conflict

gehenna
29th Jan 2008, 04:24
HI Folks

Have just bought a computer with Vista and Norton 2008 installed. Norton is working fine, but having disabled the Vista defender, it says there is no firewall? The Norton green 'tick' indicates that all is working and protected.

Any ideas please.

hellsbrink
29th Jan 2008, 05:49
iirc, go to "security centre" and you can tell it you have Norton.

Llademos
30th Jan 2008, 13:16
Norton is the Devil's Spawn; it will end up eating your processor at the expense of everything else. I would suggest (and this is shared by others - see here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=308618)) that you get rid of it, put a decent anti virus/firewall such as Avast! or AVG on instead, and watch your computer fly!

Ll

Stripholderloader
30th Jan 2008, 16:08
I recently bought a laptop that had Vista installed on it along with Norton. The first thing that I did was completely get rid of EVERYTHING associated with Norton.
if you are using a router then the firewall/Defender etc with Vista is sufficient.
NEVER install AV from Norton. (IMHO)
Regards
SHL

hellsbrink
30th Jan 2008, 18:26
Stripholderloader

if you are using a router then the firewall/Defender etc with Vista is sufficient.

WHAT!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Windows Defender basically looks at spyware, not virii/trojans, Windows Firewall is useless (and that is a nice description of it) as it only filters SOME things that are "inbound" and will not stop something dodgy from sending all your personal details to one of them nice phishing sites (not forgetting how a rogue piece of code can turn off the Windows Firewall, what a nice design feature) and no router will prevent you from getting a virus/trojan as they don't have the very definitions built into them that are needed to distinguish a virus/trojan from a regular file.

If you really think that is enough protection you are very much mistaken as you do not have the rather important program necessary called anti-virus which has the definitions and the capability to intercept and destroy virii/trojans before you even run them. You're leaving yourself wide open to all sorts of trouble there.