PDA

View Full Version : Jet* and SAFA crew

whykikamoocow
28th Jan 2008, 17:07
Hello Gentleman,

As you are all aware Jet* was interviewing in SA January 2008. They interviewed 40 pilots from SAA, Mango, Comair, 1 Time etc…

They are back in February to interview another 60. The target market obviously SAA 319 drivers.

The question being, how many of you are seriously considering it?

As you may have read via pprune the Oz pilots are understandably pissed because of the wage battle over the pond and the SAFA’s want outta darkest Africa. (A separate thread on its own!)

Word on the street is that not many of the applicants were happy with the offer and therefore holding out for something better. So how many of you are considering FO’s slots with Jet*?

Grant 737 you are exempt from this thread as we are all aware of your choice. Good luck to you all :ok:

Q4NVS
28th Jan 2008, 19:10
How about we get Statistics SA to do a proper CENSUS regarding your question...

They should be able to publish the results in 2014, when ESKOM is back online.

:E

Placido
28th Jan 2008, 20:14
Hi,

Will Saffers go?

If it was all about T&C's, very few would take up the J* offer.

I also don't think J* will be taking their FO's pay to a level where the Australians o/s at EK and CX would want to go back and slot in at the bottom of the sen. list.

Now J* sits with the problem of expanding without enough pilots employed, and if they employ 400 GA pilots with, say, 2000hrs, how fast can they be moved to the left seat? Who will do all the training?

The SAA pilots can hardly afford to move exept if they are very junior, in which case they're not prime candidates.

The rest of the people at 1Time, Mango and Comair can make the move, and probably will, taking into acount the fact that the country is falling apart.

For many people back home it is fast becoming a survival game, and they will rather face a couple of angry Ozzies than let their loved ones become part of the crime statistics in a country that's in meltdown.

loveflying737
28th Jan 2008, 21:00
sure hope this doesn't mean that the Ozzies are bitter about "Saffas" heading out there. Those who do go contribute a fair share to the Oz economy - bringing often-needed skills along. It's very clear though that those who can leave, will eventually. Just think of the rugby nation that Oz will become (amongst other things).

Gautengflyboy - you better believe it - there are a few of them that are as mad as snakes. The guys that do go will have to be vary careful about what they say in the pub. A few (and thank goodnes it appears to be just that) of the Oz guys see a handful of SAFFAS being able to destroy everything they ever hope to achieve. It would appear though that most of the "objectors" are not even flying for Jet* but are based outside of Oz and are hoping that if no one applies to Jet* the nett package will increase to meet their nett salaries in EK and CX.

loveflying737
28th Jan 2008, 21:03
The SAA pilots can hardly afford to move exept if they are very junior, in which case they're not prime candidates.

Placido - I think you would be surprised to see how many of the SAA guys are prepared to make take the opportunity offered just to get out of the country

UncleJack
28th Jan 2008, 22:16
You won't have to wait long another 3 or 4 weeks before the first lot know about a job offer.

How many would have to go to put the A319 schedule into melt down?:hmm:

A319's have already lost drivers to other overseas companies. No one seems to be to worried???:zzz:

whykikamoocow
29th Jan 2008, 05:45
Thanks for your reply :)

ByAirMail
29th Jan 2008, 06:15
In the late 1980's S.A.A. Cargo, through SAFAIR, got some cheap Russian crew's to run AN 32's on night freight to Durban and up and down the coast.
We as pilots complained bitterly to ALPA-SA.

How can we employ pilots who was prepare to work for a chance to get out of the East Block, stay in cheap accommodation, low allowance etc. was the big out cry.

Now we cannot understand that the Aussies are upset at us interfering and undermining their domestic situation??

777Contrail
29th Jan 2008, 08:03
If they call me I'll be there faster than you can say: "Have a VB with ya Barbie mate!"

grant_737
29th Jan 2008, 13:48
As you all know, I'll be there to pick 777Contrail up from the airport. :ok:

mppgf
29th Jan 2008, 22:04
777 Contrail, If you do come over to Aus please don't even contemplate drinking that sh1t.You would be better of importing and drinking Mageu number one you know that pot of gold.:yuk:
Gauteng boy, stop being such a pussy, as a poster on a previous thread directed go here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY3TfjOeuhM :E
As for you guy's coming over here for work, It won't help our current T & C's situation but thats not your problem.All these guy's bitching about you coming over would do the same if they were in your situation.Actually they would probably offer to work for 10% less if it would secure them the job over their peers.We try to ignore them on this site.
Finally, about 5% of the population give a rats arse about rugby.
:}

Woof etc
30th Jan 2008, 05:35
Here some interview tips from a genuine aussie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4rSZP0nNCc

loveflying737
30th Jan 2008, 08:42
Well I don't recall "Saffas" or anyone else in the African contract scene having made a stink about Ozzies flying around in Africa to build hours. And that won't change either. I guess we are more accepting (and please don't now change last statement into a racial argument
No fear nothing racial here.

Check out Godzone and Dunnunda and go to D & G Reporting Points - you'll soon get an idea of the sentiment a few of the Aussie pilots have about SAFFAS applying for jobs in Oz.

I don't think that it is the general opinion though. It appears as if no Jet* pilots have had any complaints - just a lot of whinging from those few wanting no one to take the jobs on offer so that the Terms and Conditions will be improved. Then they will leave their expat jobs and apply.:{

Bartholomew
14th Feb 2008, 00:15
I've been watching this thread for a while now, and several things interest me:

1) Why are "certain" Aussies getting so worked up about "Saffa's" going to work for Jet*? If their Aussie mates were up for the job, Jet* wouldn't be looking elsewhere, would they?

2)If the Aussies in 1) were as worked up as they make out they are, and actually happened to WORK FOR Jet*, they would have stopped Jet* looking elsewhere and would've made a plan BEFORE Jet* was forced to look elsewhere.

3) Point 1 and 2 indicate the fact that the "certain" Aussies objecting to "Saffa's" might actually work elsewhere (EK, etc), and so they can't really comment as they are just commenting on a situation over which they have no real control anyway?

4) If the "Saffa" pilots really want to leave RSA - it is their decision to do so! If they feel that it gets them out of a life-threatening hell-hole and might lead to a better family life.... who are these "Aussies" to tell them they can't come?

If the "Aussies" don't like it... they have a few choices....
a) Come back from EK, etc and take up the Jet* jobs.
b) Get more hours and apply for the Jet* jobs.
c) Let pilots with more experience than you and more life-threatening situations than you join your Company, and learn from their experience.
d) Should you happen to actually work for Jet*... go to the management, and stop the recruitment drive NOW with real commitments BEFORE a whole bunch of "Saffa's" uproot their lives and move to Oz! We'd all like to be paid more for what we do. If you think Jet*'s offer isn't good... look elsewhere.

It is a very real situation that the entire world is a pilot's market at the moment. Why must silly politics - (personal, company or political) - decide if any pilot is allowed or not allowed to go anywhere he/she chooses to go?

If I find a job tomorrow, on an aircraft which I have plenty of experience on, somewhere else in the world... why must I base my decision to take the job, to go or not to go, on local opinion, local experience levels, or local availablility?

If the job is advertised, there is an opening available. If the Company concerned hasn't run throught the correct political channels, I'll find out soon enough (if I've done my homework). Is the move financially viable (sp) for me? Will it give me and my family a better quality of life?

Pilots are family people like everyone else... they are just searching for a better life for their families. Don't burn them at the stake if they happen to come from other countries... chances are, they are just like you, but might have been through a bit more to get where we are now?

Granted... we all know that this is not a perfect world. Why else would Grant 737 be so willing to leave the country of his birth to find greener pastures?

Good luck to all.... read the fine print :ok:

PS - No offense is intended in any way to the Aussie guys flying for EK, I only used you as an example in the discussion. Apologies.

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Feb 2008, 03:53
Gautengflyboy said:
Well I don't recall "Saffas" or anyone else in the African contract scene having made a stink about Ozzies flying around in Africa to build hours. And that won't change either. I guess we are more accepting (and please don't now change last statement into a racial argument).

Plenty of low timers in SA have whinged about foreign pilots taking jobs they feel should go to them. It's something that happens until they gain enough DF to realise that aviation is a global market and their calls for restricting that market only expose them to the same restrictions later on in their career.

Run a search on here for more.

JetNut
14th Feb 2008, 15:50
A319's have already lost drivers to other overseas companies. No one seems to be to worried???

Alas...only +-4 pilots have left from this pool to date, from resignations (out of about 110). More need to go please...at least there'll be some movement on the seniority list :D

SubsonicMortal
15th Feb 2008, 06:01
Has anyone that went to the January interviews heard from jetStar yet regarding a starting date and joining procedures? I know references have been contacted but would like to know if the ball has rolled so far yet.

max autobrakes
15th Feb 2008, 07:27
One question please, just exactly how are these chaps going to get into the country? Contacted the appropriate Government department and guess what, JetStar havn't even applied for 457 visas yet, nor has QantasLink!
Not to mention now that the JetStar EBA has been knocked back, what direct entry command slots are now available to our southern cousins and on what conditions and security? :bored:

Bartholomew
20th Feb 2008, 23:35
max autobrakes - "One question please, just exactly how are these chaps going to get into the country? Contacted the appropriate Government department and guess what, JetStar havn't even applied for 457 visas yet..."

Mate, I know of at least one of them who joined, on a 457, and has been employed for some months! I find that statement a little far-fetched, perhaps?

edited for spelling

whykikamoocow
21st Feb 2008, 13:28
So has anyone been called yet?

There's been alot of sending and resending info to our new good friends Pilotrecruitment BUT any real news?

max autobrakes
22nd Feb 2008, 10:08
How lucky for your friend, Bart.
Change of Government= change of heart on such matters I would hazard a guess.
Just how many Safa mates have been employed since the Federal Election?
I'd also say the NO vote on the JetStar EBA ref: direct entry captains may also have an influence on more of your friends joining.

P.S I stand by my statement.
Like they say, time and the EBA results will tell.:)

Bartholomew
25th Feb 2008, 18:56
Max, he might be luckier than we first imagined... Just received this in the mail...

"Dear Applicant,

To ensure that our current database of Pilot applications is up to date we will be refreshing our StaffCV program this afternoon.

Your personal information will remain saved within the StaffCV system however the upgrade will require you to re-submit the application form.

Therefore, should you still wish to be considered for a Pilot position with Jetstar Airways, you must reapply by resubmitting your application form after 17:01pm today (Friday 22nd February 2008).

Jetstar will be recruiting on an ongoing basis over the coming years and will be contacting applicants as necessary in order to meet our operational requirements.

Please note: if you have previously been unsuccessful in the Jetstar Pilot recruitment process there is minimum 12 months waiting period, from the date of your written notification, before you may reapply.

If you have been successful in the Jetstar recruitment process, please disregard this email. You do not need to update your details online.

Due to the high number of applications we receive, we encourage you to continually update the information in your application (ie. any change to contact details or application information including flight hours etc.). We also seek your patience during this very busy period and ask that you refrain from personally contacting the recruitment team; we will endeavour to contact all applicants in a timely and orderly manner.

We would like to thank you for your continued interest in working with Jetstar.

Kind Regards

Pilot Recruitment Team
Jetstar Airways"

Seems your initial predictions may just prove to be correct?

Good luck to all concerned - it appears Lady Luck is visiting other "pastures" at the moment? Maybe she doesn't like to work in the dark? Or maybe the rising costs of processed fossil fuels has her concerned again?

edited for punctuation

SubsonicMortal
3rd Mar 2008, 06:39
Anyone heard anything more?

FMGEC
19th Mar 2008, 00:22
Some SA (not necessarily SAA) pilots have now been offered positions at Jet*. Fact. A friend has received the job offer in his grubby little inbox. The waffle about Jet* not having applied for 457 visa's is absolutely untrue. Looks like starting dates in June/July due to the time involved to get the exams written and medical done and then have the visa issued.

spinex
19th Mar 2008, 07:25
What experience have the offerees? Is it A319's as discussed earlier or have they gone for potential DEC's on the A330's and later 787's?