PDA

View Full Version : Advice...

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 16:48
Hey guys,

I recently graduated in June last year (BEng aerospace 2.1) and currently working for a majour airline, however I am doing a job any one can do.
I keep being told that there is room to move upp the ladder and some people that are employed here only got the position because of who they know :ugh:.
i would like to know the oppertunites out there for me because every company wants the same thing "EXPERIENCE".
I count my self lucky to be were i am now and am learining the ins and outs of the industry, however I would like to get into design or planning.

Any ideas of how I can acheive this? i.e courses and so forth

I am also studying to become a pilot (modular).

I sometimes feel exploited

Kindest of regards

W-M :ok:

Vortechs Jenerator
28th Jan 2008, 18:34
WOW, you've been there a whole 6 months and they don't let you run the airline yet. They must be crazy eh?

Perhaps you could ask your boss if you could work on slightly more challenging tasks and if you don't make an arse of them - maybe you'll gain recognition.

Or you could shag the boss! Worked for me:}

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 18:52
Say and think what you will, however graduates are underpaid, undervalued, and even exploited.
I am not asking to take over the airline and if you read my original post I was merely asking for advice.
Graduates in general are seen as cheap reliable labour, given half the chance we could and will make some changes for the better.
There are too many "old school" employees unable and unwilling to change in an industry that constantly changes and adapts.
Young dynamic people are required for such roles rather than being held back "kissing arse" and getting a job in the first place because he/she is an engineers offspring.

Vortechs Jenerator
28th Jan 2008, 19:25
Life is life mate, you don't actually know too much of immense value to your employer yet. Passing a degree is not as hard as you may think, plugging away productively in a job for years is.

In amongst my (lighthearted) response, was a bit of advice.

Work hard, conscientiously and diligently, loose the chip on each shoulder and the recognition and advancement will come.

It's your career, take it by the scruff of the neck and make it happen, no one owes you cock all.:)

Wing_man
28th Jan 2008, 19:41
Apologies for coming on strong but sometimes it can get to you, I don’t expect preferential treatment but would like better treatment.

Vortechs Jenerator
28th Jan 2008, 19:57
No apology needed.

When I've been out on the line in the pissing rain through the night without a drink or any food (because it can't get through security) at an AOG location spannering a sick aero........

I sometimes feel undervalued too.

Then I remember my film start wages:confused: and feel immediately better.

Chin up mate.