PDA

View Full Version : Explaining the realities of emergencies to passengers without freaking them out...

multi_engined
28th Jan 2008, 07:06
On Sydney harbour scenics in a light single we all know there is a requirement to wear life jackets in the event of an engine failure.

When I advise passengers that they need to wear a life jacket for the duration of the trip they ask why? There doesn't seem to be a single time they haven't freaked out when I said in the event of an engine failure.

How do you explain to passengers safety requirements of certain aspects of flying without making them go red?

Cheers,

M/E

Lasiorhinus
28th Jan 2008, 07:13
" Although the likelihood of anything going wrong at all during our flight is very very small, just to be on the safe side we do require you wear this life jacket for the flight. "

Leave it at that, and dont specifically say Engine Failure. If you leave it generic, you wont put situations into your passengers heads that weren't already there.

Capt Claret
28th Jan 2008, 07:39
"Civil Aviation Orders require the wearing of life jackets on over water flights in a single engine aeroplanes."

Capt Mo
28th Jan 2008, 08:11
As Capt Claret said - and saying this I have never had a passenger become nervous or apprehensive about the flight.

Definately do not say the words engine failure! It is not necessary to worry passengers with such an unlikely event. As long as they know how to use the lifejackets and operate their harnesses and exits, I would leave it at that!

Mo

training wheels
28th Jan 2008, 08:17
I'd reassure them by saying "they're called LIFE jackets for a good reason, dude .. wear it or die" ..

How does that sound? ;)

werbil
28th Jan 2008, 08:22
Lasiorhinus is spot on :ok:, and as Capt Claret suggests I usually include it is a legal requiement as well.

At the beginning of my safety brief I advise them that as in all aircraft flying over water we are legally required to carry and demonstrate the use of life jackets. I hand the jackets to the passengers before they hop into the aircraft and ask them to clip them around their waists as we don't have seat pockets to keep them in. I also use the words "in the extremely unlikely event of an emergency" as well.

Most of my last 600 - 700 hours has been charter over water in single engine aircraft - admittedly in floatplanes - and I have yet to have a passenger freak out during a safety briefing or due to life jacket requirements. I emphasize the importance of waiting until well clear of the aircraft before inflating a lifejacket, and the location and operation of the emergency exits - these three items IMHO are absolutely critical to increase a passengers chance of survival following a ditching in a light aircraft.

I sometimes get comments about wearing my life jacket (which I wear religeously along with a registered 406MHz PLB whenever flying over water). I always explain it that if I am ever concerned about some aspect of the aircraft I am sure that you (the pax) would rather me be able to concentrate on the job at hand rather than looking for or thinking about a life jacket for me - and then they are usually very keen for me to wear it.

W

FRQ Charlie Bravo
28th Jan 2008, 12:19
Attention ladies and genitalmen (sic), please note that water and survival equipment are located in the back, doors operate this way and in the not-so-unlikely event of any one of a number of critical issues such as an oversupply of air in the fuel tanks, loose screws, slipping/punctured fuel lines, growing stress risers, huge birds attracted like magnets to props, freak storms, faulty Cessna doors, contaminated fuel or a pilot who is 'just sick and tired of the voices in my head' :bored: please note that under your seat you will find a lifejacket similar to the one I am now using to demonstrate...

Fares are non-refundable however if you are interested in upgrading to our brand-spanking new twin engine aeroplane please feel free to run away now, otherwise kindly sit down, shut up and hold on.

OK, not that I really have any ill will towards my pax, I'm just tired and had a funny conversation brewing in my head.

FRQ CB

multi_engined
28th Jan 2008, 12:54
Thanks for the response =)

boardpig
28th Jan 2008, 23:41
Could be wrong about this but at 1500ft over Sydney Harbour I wouldn't think you'd be out of gliding range of land so why would you need to wear life jackets? Admittedly bringing your 30 year old cessna down on top of someones $4mil Kirribilli mansion might not be the ideal situation, but it is land non the less. The life jacket requirement holds true for victor 1 but over the harbour I don't think you'd be out of distance from land. Could be wrong of course.:confused:

ahh, just checked the Orders, seems the definition of LAND is ..
Note 1 For the purposes of this paragraph, land shall mean land suitable for an emergency landing.

Not sure how much of Sydney Harbour comes under this type. Interesting though...

Atlas Shrugged
28th Jan 2008, 23:52
otherwise kindly sit down, shut up and hold on.

:ok:

Sit down, shutup, don't touch anything, don't touch me! :E

hogespa28
29th Jan 2008, 00:59
"Passengers, these Hi-Visibility flotation vests will help rescue crews locate your floating carcass in the event of catastrophic engine failure or spontaneous mid flight breakup. However do not be alarmed, as they are a cotton polyester blend and should not irritate the skin"

Tinstaafl
29th Jan 2008, 02:14
My current one, flying to the Bahamas: "Of course the flight is overwater and that requires us to carry (or wear, if appropriate) lifejackets. Your lifejacket is located etc etc..."

My previous one, based in the Shetland Islands in the North Sea: "Of course the flight is overwater and that requires us to carry lifejackets so that we can breathe until we freeze to death. Your lifejacket is located etc etc..." *

*Reserved for certain knowledgeable regulars who liked to joke about such things.

UnderneathTheRadar
29th Jan 2008, 04:23
"Finally, to keep the government happy, we are all required to wear these".

Works fine for me in an environment where everyone has to wear one for the whole flight.

UTR

nightmode
29th Jan 2008, 04:34
Found this some time ago on smartcockpit, nice and non-threatening for worried pax.

http://www.smartcockpit.com/pdf/flightops/humanfactors/0001

solocmv
29th Jan 2008, 06:14
Hello All

I presume not all singles are bound by this rule.
I have flown many times over Sydney harbour in singles with respected commercial operators who do not require you to wear a life jacket at all. They do definitely demonstrate their use and alert you to their locations in the aircraft, but there is no requirement to wear them.

Cheers,
Solocmv.

Capt Wally
29th Jan 2008, 06:59
......welcome aboard ladies & gentlemen (or whatever the case maybe, politicans for Eg:}) I'm bound by civil aviation law to give you a cabin safety briefing just the same as you would expect on any commercial flight....etc etc etc. That's pretty much what I say if I find myself in that position. I say the word 'commercial' 'cause most of the general public going flying in anything other than a 'big' plane wouldn't know the difference. Some measure of a calm voice always helps as well. Humor may also work but if the plane is full of 'suited' business folk then most don't want to hear anything other than what's legally required. The rest of the happy travelling public I've found seem to enjoy the few words of safety even if to just break the ice between 'them & us'

CW:)

boardpig
29th Jan 2008, 21:25
Pax can be real funny sometimes and over the years I've managed to pick out the ones who might react a tad strange. Example.. I remember taking a group of folks out to Dubbo and while in the office one of the older ladies asked me if I ever drink before I go flying? I chuckled I said "you don't think I'd get in that thing sober do you?" In any case I later found out that little gag made her sh*t herself for the whole trip. It certainly is a skill managing the "ice" between us and the pooblic.:)

...(apologies for the thread drift).