PDA

View Full Version : Phantom ratings on one's licence

Brilliant Stuff
27th Jan 2008, 17:11
Now which bit by law is the correct bit i.e. which one counts in front of the bench?

For example I have a ATPL (H) which after the renewal or change of address out of the blue under ratings gains a Flight Instructor rating or your Multicrew Instrument rating has no restrictions and therefore is on paper an IR without restrictions? Does this mean because of a typo back at CAA house I have now gained two new ratings (in date) without even doing the necessary flight tests and groundschool? Would these stand up in the courts? Or would they say the licence you hold in your hand is only a copy of what is held back at CAA house?

In other words due to the CAA sending me a licence with "extra" ratings am I at fault and responsible or them or them?

IMHO since they will not let me pilot a new aircraft without the rating being in my grubby hands it would make me think they gave me a "free" rating which I can use.

Now I would not dream of using these phantom ratings in anger but other people of lesser moral fibre might.

Discuss

Regards BS

ShyTorque
27th Jan 2008, 17:48
BS,

I once gained an ATPLA plus IR from a foreign authority when my licence went off for an additional aircraft type. I had an ATPLH plus IR and a CPLA but they changed the wording which removed the "H".

I told them.

I would hope that anyone with a modicum of professional integrity would inform the CAA that they had made a mistake, just as they would if a rating had been lost.

Daysleeper
27th Jan 2008, 19:16
Mate of mine once gained a Tristar rating that way. L1011 instead of L188.
He gave it back though.
You have to check and sign your license when you receive it, by signing it you are accepting it as true so what is on there is only valid if you've earned it. Sorry.

albatross
28th Jan 2008, 00:30
During the UN operationin Somalia you could get a Somali licence with anything at all on it for 10$.

Lots of us got them as "bar Jokes"

Mine is endorsed DC-3, SR-71, Spitfire, Mustang, Concord, Apollo Space Craft, lunar landers ( bet you didn't think there was a dual endorsement required if you planned to land vs just circumavigate the moon ) and Enterprise Class Starships all marks among others.

I don't think I would jump into a SR71 and launch on the basis that I have it written on a paper with an official stamp.:=

Some wags also got Somali diplomatic passports - one jokester actualy tried to use it when returning home expecting giggles all round - Officials failed to see the humour of the thing and gave him an exceedingly bad time.

Brilliant Stuff
28th Jan 2008, 17:14
Well if you want to falsify the licence all you need is a good computer and printer. That's why I am asking are the files at CAA house the benchmark or the licence in your mitts.

Love the Somali licence.

Brilliant Stuff
29th Jan 2008, 09:28
Cheers. My thinking precisely.