PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best root into aircraft engineering

heinzbeanz
27th Jan 2008, 11:52
Have been reading a few threads on airmech and I a bit confused as to which is the best root to becoming a licensed engineer. I would of posted this question on their but it wont let me at the moment.
Is college or apprenticeship the best way. I would prefer an apprenticeship as your paid whilst you learn. Although I have been looking at newcastle avaition college!!! Any thoughts??:ugh:

blueplume
27th Jan 2008, 12:07
beanz,

if you want a root stick to gardening, or go to Australia.

Engineering also requires the ability to read, write and spell correctly.

There you are, those are my thoughts.

heinzbeanz
27th Jan 2008, 12:34
fanks for the selling korrection. My girlphriend laffed as well two.:rolleyes:
See, i can spell really. :8Go on give me some proper advice:}

JSaeroengineer
27th Jan 2008, 12:42
Apprenticeship is usually the way to go, but even a young'un like me has difficulty finding one. I'm at college at the moment, it's good, but an apprenticeship would be even better. Apart from the fact that you get paid to learn, you almost always have an employer waiting with open arms after you finish the apprenticeship.
I've heard good stuff about Newcastle Aviation College.
At the end of the day, any route into aircraft engineering is a good one!

blueplume
27th Jan 2008, 12:53
Social intercourse is a wonderful thing.

Find the school/course/apprenticeship that works for you in terms of how you can arrange your life around it. It might take longer but understanding and passing your exams is the object of the exercise, after all. Hands-on (apprenticeship) can be a good way to go if you have the time.

Take it easy.

heinzbeanz
27th Jan 2008, 13:07
Does anybody offer apprenticeships these days?

Vortechs Jenerator
27th Jan 2008, 13:17
Does anybody offer apprenticeships these days?

Yes they do.

Lots do but it's sporadic at times and the numbers are tiny. I've seen a few places take on 5 or so per year.

It's also a transient industry - don't expect all the companies that start apprenticeships being in existence at the end!

Am I going to find a big list of names and addresses for you?

No - do it yourself:E bloody lazy apprentices!

Wing_man
27th Jan 2008, 13:50
A lot of airlines take on apprentices because it "looks Good" , Apprentices are rarley taken on full time.
I would avoid engineering completley and do medicine, that is my advice to you.
Engineering degrees are not worth the paper they are printed on, and everyone wants to be a pilot.
This is from my own experience however i may be wrong, but have seen it first hand.

If you really want to be an engineer join the RAF gain experience earn a crust then step into civi street.

Good Luck

Exxon22
27th Jan 2008, 15:13
From experience having been through an apprenticeship in the rotorcraft industry, I would say Vortechs is right as I did not finish it with the company I started with, but it was worthwhile.
Now running my own rotorcraft engineering company, I would say that personally I feel that a lot of the college courses available at the moment are a waste of time due to a lack of true hands on experience, I get many C.Vs through begging for work experience from students at these places, the best engineers I have worked with have done it starting from the bottom as a fitter or through the forces.

Krystal n chips
27th Jan 2008, 15:45
Based on recent experience, I have to say, regretably, that the training offered by HM Gov't is no longer to the standard....or rather depth.. that it once was. Thanks to the various beancounter inspired "initiatives" :ugh: and various "policy makers" :ugh: it would appear those in training now recieve only the basic skills to enable them to do 1st Line and some minor 2nd Line work....thereafter it's all done by engineers who, ironically, gained their experience in a different era....with HM Gov't.

I wouldn't decry the Forces as a basis for gaining experience and entry into engineering however....just be aware they no longer offer the same depth as was once the case.

Finally, once you have learnt to spell that is, why do you wish to become an aircraft maintenance engineer...and in what discipline....and why that particular discipline in contrast to another ?. What would you hope to gain by entering the maintenance world and what would you do if you could not find an entry point ?.....and why would this not be your first choice of occupation?

Vortechs Jenerator
27th Jan 2008, 16:03
The RAF does what it's always done probably (1984 - 1996 myself). It trains you well to do a job. No less but also no more!

When I left and started my licenses, I had to learn quite a lot of skills and theory the the mob had left out (I could a also ditch some stuff I'd learned like anti G, Molecular Sieve Oxygen, lox, BDR, OTR's etc that won't be on civi jets anytime soon).

If you had to shoot a gun - they train you ad-nauseaum (ad astra:hmm:) for it but I don't think the trade training was all encompassing!