PDA

View Full Version : Operating to the US

thedeadseawasonlysick
27th Jan 2008, 11:46
Will be going to Teterboro next month on a private, VP-C registered A/C. I haven't been for a couple of years. Has anything changed in that time? Would also appreciate a heads up on the paperwork required. Last time I went to Bangor, I had a strip torn off me by a female Customs Officer for not having the paperwork in the right order and ready to present as soon as the door was opened!

Gulfstreamaviator
27th Jan 2008, 12:53
It is worse, I suggest you search the TSA/DHS web site for the private flights to USA instructions, they have a full set of forms plus instructions.
Except: beg borrow steel, the customs and imigration forms from your nearest real airport.

Ensure the pre notice to the customs of arrival, 50k$ fine if missed.

Ensure all crew have crew visas, and pax have full visas.

Radiation scan of aircraft needed, so expect to empty, and shut down.

Ensure all pax and crew details forwarded as per above documentation.

Get Customs decal, from same web site. or at least proof of application, and payment.

In circuit at TEB, be prepared for TA/RA serious warnings.

Remember the 10,000 ft at ALB, so plan plenty of fuel reserves. 150Kts head winds this week.

RVSM approval, and documentation. SLIP procedures.

USA and Atlantic charts. Plotting Chart. Planning Chart.

A SNU crew member with the recent experience in the Jump seat is a benefit. PM if needed.

Thats the basics, done three trips in last month.

if you need to refuel in Canada, its mighty cold up there, so deice procedures reviewed.

Good luck, and have fun....glf

Pilocol
27th Jan 2008, 13:38
Got the same B &%@# some time ago ... awfull ... you can not carry enough paper work ...
You are right Gulfstreamaviator .. lots of stuff to do ...
Had to laugh on the TA/RA ... it is so true .. you will get them ...

But ... why TEB ... go to Newark and you will have a better time ...plus not so crowded at the parking and you will not have the uterly stupit TEB 1 or 5 (Sorry forgot the numer) dep. when you are leaving ... got the fine once and that was good enough ...
Enjoy your flight ...:cool:

thedeadseawasonlysick
27th Jan 2008, 19:22
GSN

It couldn't be much worse. Was given a rollocking for using a telephone before being cleared and for walking down the stairs to meet her. Can only assume she was menopausal!

I have visited the TSA and DSA websites, but, being a bear of little brain, could find no link to documentation for private flights, only the requirements for commercial pax. I'm sure all the right forms will appear with the other paperwork, but I have been caught out before and it's not Dispatch who will be spending the night in clink, so I prefer to take a belt and braces approach. (I think that's belt and suspenders for our trans Atlantic cousins).

Would be grateful for a link to the appropriate website.

It was much easier in the old days, when I had a lad to do all this!

hawker750
27th Jan 2008, 19:31
Can only agree with all comments, terrible experience. Do NOT under any circumstances expect the FBO/handling agent to do anything constructive with your flight other than making you a cup of tasteless coffee and asking for your credit card. Made that mistake, wrongly assumed that they would liaise with Customs when we ran late. $5,000 fine for that one. they are incredible.

We make US Pilots and passengers welome in the UK. The handling agents help and do the paperwork for the crew. It is about time that our American "friends" did the same for us.

Just imagine if the UK required the following from American Crews:
Visa from a UK embassy in the States at least 2 weeks in advance,
Interviews just to get a visa
Full visas for passengers
TSA waivers
Customs Decals
Captain MUST personally liaise with Customs
etc etc etc

As for the TSA waivers, that is a joke. We are an ad hoc company and we cannot get TSA waivers now unless we furnish passenger names in advance!!! We do not know them untill we get a charter booking!

The American charter industry must be laughing all the way to the bank. Virtually imposible for UK operators to go to the USA at short notice whilst all they have to do is file a flight plan!

We must get together and try and do something. It would be interesting to hear replies from American Crews for their comments but I doubt if they would dare

GVA Dispatch
27th Jan 2008, 19:47
Hi all,

Let me give some hints when dealing with US Customs and flying to the USA. Let me make clear that this is based on the experience we have in our company. As a lot of regulations seem to change by the hour, check check, double check.

For a PRIVATE flight the operator requires the following items:

1. TSA Waiver, which can be obtained by filling in the following form: http://www.tsa.gov/assets/doc/international_waiver_form_407_8-07.doc It will roughly take about two weeks to obtain this approval. Yes, you should advice them about all passenger details, but just list the one you know and that's it. Nobody upon arrival will check your TSA Waiver Approval with the current passengers!
2. Customs bond, but in my previous company we didn't had one and never had any problems so far.
3. DECALL, to be obtained via the following link: > https://tradelinks4.mellon.com/cbp/Dispatcher
4. Make 100% sure you fill in the CBP 178-form and fax it to the customs officer of the airport where you clear customs. Call afterwards to make sure they got it, they will be there upon arrival as at some airport customs will only clear you during office hours! :ugh: Link to 178-form: https://forms.customs.gov/customsrf/getformharness.asp?formName=cf-178-form.xft
5. Always be very polite when dealing with these people:)

In case of any questions, just send me a PM

Cheers.

pfnotflying
27th Jan 2008, 20:47
I went there a few mounths ago, and I asked some news here...
Well the experiance was even worst.... The boss now didn't even want to hear the word TEB.

Youens
27th Jan 2008, 21:07
Unless the weather is down forcing the ILS, you can usually expect the VOR/DME-A, cross CLIFO at 1500, then cross over midfield at 1500 to follow traffic on the left-hand circle to Rwy 19. Departures are normally off of Rwy 24, pay special attention to the altitudes and headings on the departure, Newark arrivals are only 1000 ft above your initial level off altitude.

Sometimes you have to wait hours to taxi, other times you can just hop in and taxi straight away. TEB had good days and bad days, though the bad days seem more plentiful has been my experience.

US Customs/TSA/Homeland security are turning the term American-hospitality into an oxymoron... Its all about the appearance of safety to the american public... I'm a dual UK-US citizen with FAA licenses, If I could find an N-reg job in the UK, I'd be there in a heartbeat...

Good luck at TEB.

JetA
27th Jan 2008, 22:49
I hope you are not serious about going to Newark.

With all of the delays there you will wish you had gone to TEB.
Also stay away from LGA and JFK.
A good alternate to TEB is HPN. It is only a 35 to 40 minute drive to the city and it is business jet friendly.

As for US Customs/TSA, you have it totally wrong if you think they are rude and arrogant only to Europeans. They are rude and arrogant to everyone. (Americans included) The best customs and immigration officers are the Canadians:ok:

gulfstreamguy
27th Jan 2008, 23:18
Clear customs at Buffalo, rather than Bangor.

Go to White Plains, rather than Teterboro.

I've been flying international since 1976 and US customs have been a bunch of jerks the entire time. Actually, many are just fine, but not at Bangor.

Regards

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Jan 2008, 01:37
I was too old and lazy to dig out the web sites.

I agree re avoid TEB if at all possible.

Was in Newark last week too. The ground fiasco was so typical.

However the sight of the SilverJet from Luton, which left LTN at the same time as me, was sight to behold, a good alternative, for the boss. (sorry but sometimes scheduled services have benefits.)

Happy flying.

glf

hawker750
28th Jan 2008, 07:16
So, what are we going to do about it. We must do something rather than just moan.
Suggest we get a lobby together to persuade the Uk D of T to impose:
1/ 14 day notice period for any flight originating from USA
2/ All US pilots need a Visa for all European Countries
3/ All passenger on N registered aircraft need to inform Custom/Immigration 14 days in advance of ALL their personal details
4/ Enrole British Customs/Immigration staff at the TEB customs charm school.

The US only want to play by their rules, lets see how they like it if we start behaving like them.

Come on guys lets do it. First stop BGBA

DUAL RATED
28th Jan 2008, 07:59
Be prepared for long delays on departure out of TEB if you leave on say a Friday afternoon. An hours delay for start and then 30mins for taxi.

Whats others experience at that time of the week at the other airports in the New York area, im gussing its just the same?

gulfstreamguy
28th Jan 2008, 11:48
Actually, Friday is no longer the worst day at TEB. It got so bad that many began leaving on Thursday and it is now the worst. Go figure.

Pilocol
29th Jan 2008, 18:49
Right hawker750 . we should do something...

Have you heard that the French are asking for crew visas from the Americans?? :} just heard that today .. good on them :ok:.. that is the way all Europe should do it ...
They come here ...no worries .. fly around and take our business, we try to get there and the beging starts at the embassy ...:mad: ... not fair ... we are as profesionals as they are .. and some time I think more ..
Anyway .. you need a signature or a baner I will be there ..:cool:

Keep it safe ..

THROTTLE RETARD
30th Jan 2008, 22:13
To re-iterate some of the previous postings,If you can avoid the Teterhole by all means do so. It seems I spend half my life in and out of TEB and whenever possible we try to persuade our pax to use White Plains HPN. In fact I was there twice last week.
If trying to depart TEB between 1600 and 1730 be prepared for long delays and or ground stops. A number of times duty time has expired while waiting for engine start.
White Plains is far more customer friendly and is geared up for the NYC business clientelle. Some good FBOs as well.
As regards US customs, take heart from the fact that they are not prejudiced, they hate everyone equally !:* As a Brit living and working here I have had many a fine run in with them. Thankfully at my home base airport the Company I work for arranged for a customs agent to be based on the field and so now life is much easier.
Remember if you must do battle with US Customs they are ex-colonials !
Good Luck.