PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Risk?

Dato_R44
27th Jan 2008, 11:01
I know that for those of us who are enthusiastic about helicopter flight every time an incident like Lanark, Cumbria and Harrogate occurs our hearts drop and the unfortunate reality is that they will inevitably increase because PPL(H) pilots are on the increase. The rise is a predictable as day follows night, why? because there is greater disposable income available for spending, there is the opportunity of 'beating the traffic' and there always will be the challenge factor all of which promote the desire to fly.

I know that departments like the SRG and other regulatory and non regulatory bodies are doing their utmost to curb the rise but are they simply firefighting here? I feel until such times as the management of the risks involved for private pilots flying helicopters are firmly embedded into the culture of the helicopter fraternity just as there is an absolute need for recognised Risk Management Protocols, demanded by organisations across the globe. we are falling short in the management of helicopter safety. There is a great level of importance to these industries are to them a matter of life and death to their companies and they have NO doubt as to the value good RM principles and for us as pilots IMHO there has to be no question that PPL(H) pilots need to be taught the same. Realistically we have to know that there will always be risk and even the best RM practices will not remove them but I feel that we have to give ourselves the best chance to mitigate and control what we can.

I believe that soon, if not already the case, organisations and private individuals, friends or otherwise will soon demand the proof that pilots of helicopters can show what Risk Management Controls are applied by the pilot before they enter into any ship be it a 22 or a Dauphin. We cannot ignore the fact that we live in a society and culture of blame everyone is looking out for who to blame if something goes wrong and I don't think that personal or corporate liability insurance is going to suffice for much longer.

Link to questionnaire removed. No matter how you dress it up, this is using PPRuNe for research, and it ain't going to happen without Rob's OK.

If you want to contact Rob, and get his approval, then please do so. Otherwise, stop trying to use Rotorheads for your research :=

Senior Pilot
Rotorheads Moderator