PDA

View Full Version : Options for Change

SpaceBetweenThoughts
27th Jan 2008, 10:15
Not sure this is really the best forum to post this but here goes.

I work for a large airline based in the UK but have been posted to a new base following promotion to command. I am being careful to avoid identifying myself or the airline concerned.

Following completion of the command course I spent several weeks waiting to start in the new role with no flying for reasons which appear unclear. It was then necessary (understandably) to do some refresher sectors. I have no problem with the flying and indeed still enjoy same since I am quite experienced.

However the experience of having to wait several weeks, be posted to a different base at short notice (I have to arrange my own accommodation etc) away from friends and family I have found very unsettling and indeed stressful. Although having a few weeks off work sounds like a holiday in reality it isn't when you are wondering whether the next phone call or email is going to be from the Company. It's like being on permanent standby and it's obviously not possible to go away on a holiday.

I hope I have painted the correct picture, all is not doom and gloom but in all my decades in the airline business I have never felt so depressed with my lot at a time when I should be ecstatic!

I am thinking seriously of dropping out - my circumstances are quite unique - and really wonder what it is all about. This is not like me at all and maybe I will go to the doctor but am not sure what help he will be. I don't think I am clinically depressed and am healthy in the physical sense.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

gingernut
27th Jan 2008, 13:20
It sounds like your having an "adjustment reaction," rather than a bout of clinical depression. Quite a natural reaction to multiple minor and major changes in your life over a short period of time.

There is some evidence, (I think from the Gulf situation), that "standby" situations can be more stressful than the event itself.

Is there certainty and routine in sight yet?