PDA

View Full Version : Celebrities Concessions

justawanab
27th Jan 2008, 05:42
A question for cabin crew (I think), prompted by the recent sad passing of Heath Ledger ...

In a situation such as this, where the recently bereaved family of a well known and successful celebrity are passengers on a long haul flight, does anyone, either within the crew or management, take responsibility to determine that things like the in flight movie aren't likely to cause distress?

I could imagine that it would have been a bit distressing to Heath's family if they had been effectively forced to sit through "Brokeback Mountain" between Australia and the US a day after his death.

JEM60
27th Jan 2008, 06:45
Well, I am not sure that anything would be done. They do have several choices, after all. They could telephone the airline and find out what would be showing, or the could switch the film off and read a book. After all, on most flights, there will be people with terminal cancer, recently bereaved, victims of war, I could go on and on, yet I doubt that the F/A would consider MY feelings if I had recently, lets say, lost a very close relative in a situation about to be portrayed on a film on board. After all, what's the difference between MY feelings, and a so called 'celebrities' feelings. NONE. hey are only people like you and me after all

JEM60
27th Jan 2008, 06:54
I would like to think that this wouldn't happen. On probably every flight, there will be passengers who have lost very close relatives in unfortunate circumstances, for example cancer, war, accidents, etc., The family could telephone the airline, and find out if it's being shown, or they could merely switch it off if it's a small screen, and simply read a book!! Certainly I doubt that any consideration would be shown to ME if I had recently lost a relative in a scene depicted on film, and celebrities are merely people like you and me, aren't they, with the same feelings. It's just that SOME of them think they must be treated differently because of their assumed status.

JEM60
27th Jan 2008, 06:56
Please ignore the first reply. Cat sat on the keyboard at the wrong moment:):):)

radeng
27th Jan 2008, 07:21
Cats do that sort of thing - mainly because it allows them to demonstrate how awkward they can be!

justawanab
27th Jan 2008, 08:11
Ah yes. Shows how long since I flew long haul. I forgot that most major airlines now have individual screens for movies and not just a few along the top of the cabin. :ugh: