PDA

View Full Version : Aeropelican

geeup
27th Jan 2008, 01:25
Does anyone know what the min requirements for Aeropelican is these days?
Or conditions?

Kickatinalong
30th Jan 2008, 10:08
Give them a ring.:ugh:

Duck Pilot
30th Jan 2008, 20:14
What are they operating these days,are they still operating the Metro and Bandit ? What ever happened to the old Belmont airport,is it still open ? Is WS and GH still there ?

Skystar320
30th Jan 2008, 21:47
They brought 4 x BAe 32EP Jetstreams to replace the sewer pipes [metro's] and the bandit still remains

Belmont? Havnt been for a while though I think its a residential

Trojan1981
30th Jan 2008, 22:08
I was in Warnervale last week and a local aeroclub member told me that Warnervale is closing (next year I think) and they are all moving to Belmont.

Apparently Belmont was not re-zoned as AP Mgmt desired.

tinpis
31st Jan 2008, 05:45
Wheres Warren S got to?

geeup
31st Jan 2008, 06:16
Kickatinalong why didnt i think of that? :confused:
Thats like the most logical thing i could do:sad:

Oohh ooh hang on a minute i did think of that but there was a reason why i did mmmhhh what was it again :confused:

Perhaps its that fact that im base overseas not in Australia....that could be it i think.. yeah i think that is what it was. :ooh:

So in summary i choose to post a question on pprune:eek:

What was i thinking?????

I dont think i was!:rolleyes:

Scion
31st Jan 2008, 19:27
If warnervale goes, aeropelican doubtful, it doesnt leave a lot between Maitland and Bankstown

There could be a few fuel incidents perhaps?

Under Dog
31st Jan 2008, 20:11
Duck Pilot
I believe WS is still their cos I saw him a few weeks back at
willy.He has risen to great heights these days with his name being on the
side of one of the Jetstreams and all.
GH has a start with Virgin ,Dont know wether he has left yet.

Regards The Dog

RENURPP
31st Jan 2008, 21:26
There could be a few fuel incidents perhaps?

If people can't manage their fuel for a 70nm leg there are some serious problems out there.

Scion
31st Jan 2008, 21:29
It has happened you know! and the problem is the lack of alternative landing grounds north of Sydney.

Kickatinalong
31st Jan 2008, 21:34
Geeup
Maybe if you put your location instead of King Sol then others MAY know where you are, Dah !:ugh::ugh::ugh:
Kickatinalong
And I do know what you ask but you can kiss mine if you think I'll tell you.

Trojan1981
31st Jan 2008, 22:35
Wasn't there a Metro in late 2005 that made an emergency landing somewhere up there due to fuel exaustion? It was enroute to YSSY I think.
I will look it up.

Not sure where exactly it landed but it only had one engine running and about 8 litres of fuel left OB due to faulty/corroded sensors.

...Just found the report on the Metro. It had 51 lb of FOB, one engine inoperative and sensors showing 950 lb of FOB! The incident actually occured in Bundaburg, QLD. I don't know why I thought it was in NSW.

It could, however, occur btn regional centres and Sydney.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2005/AAIR/aair200504768.aspx

Like This - Do That
1st Feb 2008, 00:34
..... and we're leaving aside the entire question of the usefulness of aviation to the region. There seems to be an assumption that nobody in GA uses their aircraft (or leased/hired aircraft) to GO anywhere.

Gosford / Wyong / Lake Macquarie region, ie the 'Central Coast' must be approaching a population of 500000, and effectively has NO airport. This must surely be a brake on development and successful conduct of business. Someone wanting to leave home in the middle of this region (The Entrance, let's say), to attend to their business in Brisvegas or Melbourne, faces a 2 hour drive IN IDEAL CIRCUMSTANCES (and more likely a 3 hour drive to KSA) before they even check their bags in.

Half a friggin million people effectively without access to air travel. :ugh:

OK I've vented me spleen - normal programming resumes:*

Trojan1981
1st Feb 2008, 03:48
I think you can fly to Bris/melb from Willytown, can't you?
Airports seem to be fast disapearing in NSW.

Like This - Do That
1st Feb 2008, 04:39
Trojan

Yep, and I've flown to/from each from/to Willy commercially. But what about the possibility of flying in one's own aircraft - for business or pleasure - to this region? Pretty much can't be done.

Willy won't let private GA in, and fields like Cessnock are just too far from the centre of this region. In any case, I'd argue that Willy is also too far from the likes of Gosford (for example) to be a viable choice.

You're right, airports do seem to be disappearing.

I know that the USA and Australia aren't the same, but imagine there being a SINGLE place in the USA with this sort of population without a single airport!?!?!?

geeup
1st Feb 2008, 05:35
Kickatinalong once again i see how its my fault for you posting.

First my location you will need to focus your brain for this one and do a little task once a week;

I'm currently in the Solomon Islands at King Sol, now next week i want you to look at my location again as i will be in Papua New Guinea at Port Moresby (are you still comprehending the location cause the next one is hard), the following week (thats 3 weeks from now) look again i will be location Tabubil which is also in PNG (thats short for Papua New Guinea)

Now im sure geography was not your strongest subject at school but i hope you can use an Atlas. Its not my fault for your stupidity :8

Am i going to fast????:ugh:

As for you knowing the answer to my post but not will to tell me has actually answered my other question

While people like you are in Australian aviation i will remain working overseas :ok:

Here is a question before i write you off as a complete :mad: idiot

Why reply to my post knowing the answer but not willing to tell me???

Seriously do you have some sort of mental illness? Its worth considering as im sure Centrelink will contribute an allownace/pension. You hang in there tiger with modern Medicine i hope they find a drug for you.

Trojan1981
1st Feb 2008, 08:03
Ok Gotcha. Makes sense.

Scion
1st Feb 2008, 09:24
Therefore taking the most populated portion of the east coast there is a monopoly controling GA from Maitland to Albion Park.

Think about the implications!

geeup
1st Feb 2008, 20:10
What about Royal Newcastle Aeroclub, is that still at Rutherford? If my memory is correct they had 3 runways.
Going even further back i think they had a aerodrome at the Broadmeadow racecourse

Scion
2nd Feb 2008, 21:13
They are at Maitland

Towering Q
2nd Feb 2008, 23:35
Aw, come on Kickatinalong, please reply....this is just like 'Jerry Springer on Pprune'.

NAMPS
3rd Feb 2008, 00:10
I find it funny that no one seems to know the answer to the question (after 24 posts) - or no one is willing to volunteer the information.

I don't know myself, but you can call them on +61 2 4928 9600.

spag
3rd Feb 2008, 09:39
Hey geeup,

The number NAMPS posted will probably work from the solomons - or even PNG!!!

Am I going too fast??

GUARD
3rd Feb 2008, 11:41
The bummer for you GEEUP is that Kickatinalong most likely works at Pelican and when he sniffs your resume it will go straight in the bin.

You're being a tad defensive aren't you. Why not put a call in?!

GUARD:)

geeup
4th Feb 2008, 04:58
Thanks Namps I will use it later.

spag your right that number would work from both Solomon’s and PNG (and every other country I fly in and out of), but the problem is I’m not able to use the number as I’m not even close to an international telephone line during business hours at the moment nor in the near future… Hence the posted question. Therefore no you aren’t going to fast for me:=, it would seem you cannot appreciate my situation! Do you require further explanation?

GUARD, to be honest I don’t care if “Kickatinalong” is President of the local model aeroplane club or the CEO of Boeing. It doesn’t change my opinion of Kickationalong and nor should it!

Pprune is a “Forum” (definition - An Internet forum is a web application for holding discussions and posting user generated content ) upon which I posted a simple question RE: Mins & Conditions @ Aeropelican in the D&G General Aviation & Questions section. Nothing more nothing less. Upon which I received the 1st response “Give them a ring.” Perhaps the simple question was misread???:rolleyes:

My biggest problem is with the other response “And I do know what you ask but you can kiss mine if you think I'll tell you.”:yuk:

Airmanship people airmanship, a common curtesy to help a fellow aviator, the reason Pprune exists. As far as I’m concerned Kickatinalong has broken this golden rule…:*

For example if I was flying to a airstrip and heard a departing aircraft and wanted an appreciation for the weather at the stripe whether I knew the pilot or the company I would expect an accurate pleasant response (airmanship) if they responded with “And I do know what you ask but you can kiss mine if you think I'll tell you.”:eek:

No matter what position that person has with ANY company I would think and point out they are a :mad:ing idiot. I'm not being defensive I truly believe Kickatinalong is a :mad:ing idiot. And demonstrates very poor airmanship.:yuk:

As for him sniffing my resume on passing his desk I would prefer he put it straight into the bin if that’s the way he operates but be careful as his could pass my desk. :oh:

It would have been simpler for Kickatinalong not to have posted a response.;)

Once again why have a go at me?:confused:

toronto_flyer
4th Feb 2008, 05:07
Golly gosh guys, the lack of an airport in the Central Coast region is not as massive a deal as some people on this forum would have it. I live in Toronto (where it's always sunny) and Willy is only 35 mins away, Sydney airport is only 1hr 45mins max from here. Conversely, my brother lives in Gosford and Sydney is only an hour away for him. So the furthest away you would ever be from an airport would be a little over an hour, unless you got stuck in traffic or a bushfire or something.

Regarding Cessnock and Maitland, they are certainly only a stone's throw away from Newcastle, however with the closure of Warnervale, residents from the Central Coast will have a bit of drive on their hands. However, visiting GA pilots and their passengers can land at Maitland and find public transportation that will deliver them into the heart of the city, with enough time to open a bottle of bubbly on the way.

toronto_flyer

spag
4th Feb 2008, 10:03
Yeah sorry, I was a bit cranky last night and your post rubbed me the wrong way. Hope you find the info you seek.

Kickatinalong
4th Feb 2008, 10:05
1300 363622 that's the number for The Salvation Army on the East coast of Oz, give them a call at the same time you make the other call they may care. OR as someone else said give Jerry Springer a call with an attitude like that I'm sure you will get a set of Jerry Beads.
Kickatinalong.:=:=:=

tinpis
4th Feb 2008, 21:02
If WS:hmm: is still there that makes 30 years that I know of.......

Under Dog
5th Feb 2008, 05:10
Tinpis
WS left the aviation scene for some time and only recently returned
in the late ninetys.He was a legend to work with.

Regards The Dog

RENURPP
5th Feb 2008, 05:23
I haven't been to Warnervale for a while, last time I was there I was waiting for the banjo playing mountain people to hop out of one of those 1950 C150's they still use.

It would be nice to have more choice between the sydney and Newcastle, but I don't think Warnervale dissapearing will have much affect on the industry.

If you look at the Central Coast aero Club site you will see that it does look like they have a reasonable, not yet confirmed chance of moving to Aero Pelican.
With some forsight the local council will encourage more operators to take advantage of the runway. It used to be pretty much a closed shop, no private flights allowed.

tinpis
5th Feb 2008, 05:25
Mr Dog
Agreed
I worked with him in PNG :ok:

O2
28th Aug 2008, 07:44
Belmont Airport sold for 5.5 million....looks like Mr F cleaned up on this one.

Johnny_Fabulous
11th Sep 2008, 05:58
How's the Duck going.....anyone heard??

OCTA
11th Sep 2008, 10:47
Don't know what you guys are on about plenty of runways up that way if you have the correct equipment. A new RPT operator just started running up and down the coast and seems to be poaching a few people from the pelican!

Tmbstory
11th Sep 2008, 15:58
Duck Pilot:

When Aeropelican started its commuter service to Sydney it used Cessna 402 aircraft, that did a good job considering the limmitations of the airstrip.

The first commuter service departed on the 2nd June 1971 and subsequently served the region extremely well..

Tmb

Snatch
12th Sep 2008, 03:38
...I presume you are speaking of Brindabella? :confused:

OCTA
12th Sep 2008, 04:06
Nope this one goes from city centre to city centre so no 30 min drive to and from Willytown and drops you off in the middle of sydney so no grotty taxi drivers from Kingsford Smith.

Sydney Seaplanes: Harbour Flights, valentine day gifts, romantic getaways (http://www.seaplanes.com.au)

Under Dog
12th Sep 2008, 08:22
They had a service like that runnin a few years back but it didn't harm the good old duck much.

Regards The Dog

40Deg STH
13th Sep 2008, 10:38
I don't know if many ex duck pilots read this, But it would be great to have a reunion and catch up on old times.

Living overseas for many years now, I have lost touch with many.

i hope there maybe some interest in a get together.

Tmbstory
14th Sep 2008, 08:43
40 Deg Sth

As one of the original pilots in Aeropelican, I think a reunion would be a great idea. I am living overseas at present but please keep me informed.

Tmb

40Deg STH
14th Sep 2008, 13:40
Are there more ex Duck pilots out there or do you know any who would be keen for a reunion

Binoculars
14th Sep 2008, 15:20
Had three years as a go-getter FSO in Sydney , used to love working the SY-Pec_Wm sector. Only recall the Twotters TGY and TGW (how many times did I say tango golf wankee?).. weren't Masling running around in their Queenairs or was that only into Willy?

Otters never called taxying at Pec cos it was out of VHF range. One apparently got airborne one day about to announce departure when a Mirage went under his wing tip. SY HF noticed a remarkable increase in calls from Twotters taxying Pec.

Norm? Never knew his last name, never met him, but he was a legend in FS, "Okay thanks, 4000."
"Hey guess who's still holding at 22 DME? I'm getting giddy out here....."

Still lots of good memories......

RENURPP
14th Sep 2008, 21:21
Bino's the three twatters, TGY, TZL and MMY, repleced in the early 80's with KZL, KZP, KZN and KZO. 402's test the memory a bit, MWF, MWE, EVF, ROX, ELT, UBZ, CKU.
Masling's QueenAirs operated the same time as the 402's and they were in and out of Willi, when aeropelican got Twatters, Masling got Bandits.

"Roger thanks" That was Noel Batcheldor, excuse the spelling. Noel died a few years back and he is a legend, a really nioce bloke.
he had some great bad habbits. I remember he got to 22DME called approach as though he had a clearance and a min or two after passing the boundary was asked "confirm you have a clearance", the response was somthing along the lines of "I think so" it was too late then, he was half was 15nm from landing. It was all planned, he had this seriously aplogetic voice when needed.

RENURPP
14th Sep 2008, 21:28
OCTA, that mob may be new, but the service certainly isn't.
Aquatic Airways, and I can't remember the bloke who started its name, where operating Newcastle-Rose Bay 30-40yrs ago. the used Beavers and then Nomads.

Stationair8
14th Sep 2008, 23:16
That would be Vic Walton.

tinpis
14th Sep 2008, 23:20
Where is "Groggy" these days?

RENURPP
14th Sep 2008, 23:20
Groggy went to Virgin, he's now at Alteon as a sim instructor for Virgin and playing with Ultra lights (instructing) in his spare time.

Vic Walton, thats it, i have been searching for his name, couldn't find it. do you know what happened to his wife, also a Pilot?
Vic was the one of the initial test Pilots for the Nomad if my memory serves me well?
Test pilots Vic Walton (left) and Neil Johnstone (http://nla.gov.au/nla.cs-pa-http%253A%252F%252Fwww.slv.vic.gov.au%252Fhwtports%252F0%252 F0%252F3%252Fdoc%252Fhp003362.shtml)

Stationair8
14th Sep 2008, 23:23
I only knew Vic, met him at an airshow and he gave me I ride in the Nomad while did the flying display.

RENURPP
14th Sep 2008, 23:27
A couple of photo's from the past.

If anyone can help me with the names of the people in the photo's I would appreciate it. I recognise Keith Hilder far right
and Stan Hone shorter bloke in the mifddle, the rest are a mystery.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm167/Peterpilot69/22.jpg

Bino,

here's your TGY
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm167/Peterpilot69/TGYandMMY.jpg
And a 402,
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm167/Peterpilot69/UBZtakingoff.jpg

and right at the beginning.http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm167/Peterpilot69/U1_edited.jpg

Stationair8
15th Sep 2008, 01:01
You can see why the duck failed no security fence, security staff to hassle you and park next to the terminal.

Would have liked to work for Aeropelican.

I was looking at a 1967 Ansett timetable at the flying boat exhibition and showed both Maslings and Davey Air Services running out of Sydney, what aircraft did they operate?

RENURPP
15th Sep 2008, 01:31
Masling, DC3', C402's, B80's, E110's.

Davey's, not sure actually, sort of think it was chgeiftan 402 maybe 310 type stuff.
I wonder if Bill Davey is still alive?
He was living on the central coast NSW last time I saw him around 1990.

40Deg STH
15th Sep 2008, 01:46
Those Aquatic guys/girl were fun to fly with. One nice clear day we had a DHC2,DHC6 and DHC4 in formation at 500 ft coming up the coast.
I wish I had a picture of that flight.
RENURP.......Always made me laugh when Curley would ride his bike along the path beside the terminal and scatter the waiting passengers

RENURPP
15th Sep 2008, 01:48
Or when he went DUI and had to ride the horse to work in full uniform,. earings tattoos and all :D
having to bail super ace out of the jail to go to work! I didn't have the pleasure myself, but I was around :eek:

Actually, the more I look at the photo of those guys, I think the one second from the right next to Keith Hilder maybe old Ces Redmond, the grader driver and long term supporter of the rissole.

40Deg STH
15th Sep 2008, 04:22
RENURP

Poncho, his horse would graze around the hanger while he went flying:D

Can you think of all the stories we could all tell!!!!!

I arrived on the scene after that though.

I vaguely remember some late nights at the old flying school with our fine engineering staff too. Slats even put on a great "Divorce" party there and was very proud he spent more on that than he did his wedding!!!! All good men

RENURPP
15th Sep 2008, 07:31
It was a good place. The best i have worked at.
from your comments I may have left before you started. 1984.

What happened to slatts, still looking at radio's?

Binoculars
15th Sep 2008, 13:06
Thanks for that info, RENURPP. Had forgotten about TZL. Was thinking that was the one crashed at DKI but maybe that was AQB.

I would love to have been able to get out and meet the crews in those days instead of being stuck at a console. Remember Hazelton lassooing the undercarriage of a C310 down from the back of a ute at Cudal or Orange? Legendary!

Was on in the wee small hours of the morning when MWK had twin engine failure in tiger country near Goulburn. Interesting story attached to that one. Pilot went on to Qantas; you around these parts Steve?

*eyes mist over at my youthful enthusiasm in those days*

O2
15th Sep 2008, 21:29
Just heard the Duck will can Tamworth.

Should have done Canberra....it's Brindabella's most profitable route now.:ugh:

Under Dog
15th Sep 2008, 22:03
Bino's
TZL has had an interesting life. After it left the Duck it ended up with Whitakers in QLD for years before being sold to a company in WA where it has been rebirthed under a different rego.It must have well in excess of 30 thousand hours on it by now.

Regards The Dog

RENURPP
15th Sep 2008, 22:13
I can't remember what their wing spar life is, MMY's time was up years ago, late 1970 or early 80's, ended up against a fence at Bankstown.
Maybe they can do a mod or respar them, would imagine it would be $$$$$$$$$$$.

TZL was a pig to fly, wonder if its any better now.

Johnny_Fabulous
15th Sep 2008, 22:18
All 200s are dogs....can't wait for the new 400.:ok:

RENURPP
15th Sep 2008, 22:32
I think TZL started life as a 100, i.e. short nose, it was worse than other 100's or 200's.

O2
19th Sep 2008, 05:29
Aeropelican Air Sevices sold to Business Air Holdings Pty Ltd for $600000.

Announced today on the ASX....transaction to be finalised by Oct 1.

Maybe good news for the Duck:ok:

Stationair8
19th Sep 2008, 09:44
Where the Aeropelican C402A's yellow and white and did they operate ELU and ELV?
Does anyone remember a RPT operator called Nationwide Air Services from the mid 1970's?

RENURPP
19th Sep 2008, 10:42
Where the Aeropelican C402A's yellow and white and did they operate ELU and ELV?

No and No.

See the pic on page 3 of a 402. The 402's were MWF, MWE, EVF, ROX, ELT, UBZ, CKU.

Stationair8
20th Sep 2008, 01:13
When did Aeropelican actually get taken over by Ansett?

Skystar320
20th Sep 2008, 06:07
Aeropelican became part of Ansett in July 1981 when 80% of owner Masling Commuter Services was purchased by TNT - News subsidiary Bodas Pty Ltd.

Stationair8
21st Sep 2008, 11:59
Did the Aeropelican guys get a seniority number in Ansett when they got bought by Bodas?
Where the Twin Otters always operated two crew, or did that only come into effect after the Kingair accident at Sydney in 1982?

dogcharlietree
22nd Nov 2008, 12:51
I wonder if Bill Davey is still alive?
He was living on the central coast NSW last time I saw him around 1990.
I met Bill about 3 years ago and he was living up around Caloundra area (from memory). A pleasure to meet and talk with him. :ok:

RENURPP
22nd Nov 2008, 22:14
Did the Aeropelican guys get a seniority number in Ansett when they got bought by Bodas?

Yes

Where the Twin Otters always operated two crew, or did that only come into effect after the Kingair accident at Sydney in 1982?
No in the early days they were single pilot. The regs requireda "radio operator" if the autopilot was unserviceable, and memories fading however i think if there were more than 15pax?
Aeropelican used carry one most of the time, until they required two pilots in 1984 I think.

O2
9th Jan 2009, 03:36
Looks like the Duck is spreading it's wings...takes over the Narrabri to Sydney route in March.

4th J32 to come on line soon.