PDA

View Full Version : CSAR historical questions

Jackonicko
26th Jan 2008, 23:45
I was just looking at Air Commodore Brian Bates', Director Joint Capability, presentation on UK JOINT PERSONNEL RECOVERY, and came across a few acronyms that meant little to me, and some snippets of information about what we do now that led me to wonder what we did before.....

I know that they're not the same thing, and that one is just part of the broad spectrum that is Personnel Recovery, but when did we stop talking about CSAR and start talking about PR?

What's DSAR?

What's the difference between an IRT and an MERT?

Who/what was responsible for CSAR before we declared an IOC for JPR with the three Sea King 4s ("@ 5 days NTM for global ops") in 2003?

When the good Air Commodore presented his powerpoint (in 2006) he said that:

"the Full Operating Capability (eg the IOC (3 Sea King Mk 4) + 6 Merlin Mk 3s)" had been "proven in 2006 but was yet to declare FOC due to ongoing commitments...." Is that still the situation?

Where does the Chinook force fit in?

What's the JSRC?

What Royals unit provides the GEC for the Sea King 4s, and which Regiment Squadron parents the GEC rocks attached to E Flight, 28 Squadron?

Evalu8ter
27th Jan 2008, 08:17
Jacko, I'll have a go in a non-beadwindow style.

DSAR-Deployed SAR, ie UK SAR ac deployed to an operational theatre to provide "normal" SAR cover. Think 1564 Flt in the Falklands. There was a move prior to the Merlin/SK4 CSAR bit to train a handful of SAR crews to do CSAR-style ops but I think it died a death.

IRT - Incident / Immediate Response Team. A team of troops/EOD etc held on short ntm in the event of an incident.

MERT - Medical Emergency Response Team. Think "Above Enemy Lines".

CSAR is not flavour of the month at the moment; there is no perceived rush to declare FOC on Merlin (my 'umble opinion).

Chinook Force used to do a bit of JPR, but in reality we'd discuss TRAP/I-TRAP (Tactical Recovery of Aircraft & Personnel). The Chinook was a capable platform. Fast, long-legged (with internal tanks), well defended and with space/payload for both the IRT and MERT. Plus the "A" part of TRAP dictated the CH47s prodigous lifting ability.

JSRC-guessing at Joint Services Rescue Centre (?)

Not a clue with the rest. Sorry!

Jackonicko
27th Jan 2008, 11:02
Thanks all. Most interesting - much food for thought.

I should have given the url for the good Air Commodore's briefing, which is

http://proceedings.ndia.org/7040/19%20Bates.pdf

Jackonicko
27th Jan 2008, 13:11
What does Glenn Torpy's statement say about the seemingly 'dedicated' JRP capabilities outlined by Bates?

CAS: "The RAF’s contribution to the UK’s Search and Rescue (SAR) organisation is vital in capability terms, as witnessed by the magnificent efforts during the recent flooding, but it also has a very beneficial effect in raising the profile of the Service. As now, the new organisation will consist of a mix of military and civilian helicopter crews, with the military element providing skills not currently available within the civil sector. In terms of the military rescue task, I see little change to our peacetime capability. On operations, combat search and rescue is conducted as part of the routine support helicopter role, calling where necessary on additional support such as fixed-wing close air support and attack helicopters. I don’t, therefore, see the new SAR arrangements having an adverse effect on our capability, provided we retain the right number of military crews in the organisation."

Evalu8ter
27th Jan 2008, 13:28
Jacko,
Translated it means "we can't afford dedicated JPR assets, we'll rely on the nearest SH cab to do it and if it's any more complicated we'll ask the US to help..."

Not really unique; the USMC play it the same way, though they will train part of a MEW to be "SOCOM" qualified to conduct PR if required.

IMHO the whole JPR piece was a bit of "we've got the Merlin, now let's find a niche for it..." as the Puma/CH47 community was getting the plaudits at the time. Since the Merlin has been proven to be doing a superb job in Iraq the need to justify the types' place in the OrBat has waned, and hence has the need to push JPR. Mind you, we did suddenly do IOC at the rush a couple of years ago, close to the original CSAR-X award. I wonder if...?

Jackonicko
27th Jan 2008, 13:32
Ooh you big cynic, you.....

and to think that I just thought that Glenn must be thinking that if he can't afford to go down the route of flushing an autonomous national capability down the toilet in order to pursue a 'pooled fleet' with the USAF, then he wasn't interested.

Evalu8ter
27th Jan 2008, 13:40
Of course he's not interested, it's not a Typhoon....