PDA

View Full Version : SR technics, Dublin

Commanche 260
26th Jan 2008, 20:49
Does anyone know if Sr Technics runs apprenticeships for an airframe and powerplant license. I would like to work on light aircraft and want to know if this is the type of thing that they do there as there website does not make it to clear(well to me anyway). If so has anyone any info on what it is like to learn there.
Thanks

JSaeroengineer
27th Jan 2008, 08:22
From what i saw before, I think they run apprenticeships. I should think you would have to fund it yourself though.
I've tried many times to get an apprenticeship, but they weren't having none of it!
I assume you are after an easa part 66 licence. I think they only provide training for "big jets" and not light aircraft. Might be worth dropping them an email
Sorry i wasn't any help!

Commanche 260
27th Jan 2008, 09:37
Thanks alot, I'll send them an e-mail. I thought that same type of thing about SR Technics only running apprenticeships and courses for working on the big jets, But wasn't sure. Thanks again.

Mr.Brown
27th Jan 2008, 10:08
http://www.srtechnics-jobs.com/

Select "apprenticeships" on the left and then select "Ireland".

Here is a list of there capabilities:
http://www.srtechnics.com/datas/docs/overview_capabilities_aircraft_services.xls
Not many there you'd consider light aircraft, although maybe the Fokker 100.

Ned Coates
27th Jan 2008, 13:37
In an Irish tabloid paper the other day, page two carried a story that SRT were about to fold, if two contracts they have with Air Lingus?, weren't renewed. One thousand plus redundancies possible. Might be worth googling. HR department of EY were scuttling over last few days to circle any potential carcass.

EI-MICK
28th Jan 2008, 16:09
thats rubbish as far as im concerned 1000+ jobs,threat tactics,its very hard to see them losing the contract,theres one or two other companies in the running but i hear srt will get it.

shamrock aviation in waterford fix light aircraft and i think they have taken apprentices before,give some flying clubs in weston in dublin a ring and ask them who fixes their planes and in turn ask them are they willing to take you,you could always train as an apprentice anywhere and once qualified some light a/c place might take you on.

Captain Planet
28th Jan 2008, 20:38
Give the guys in Abbeyshrule a call,they do quite a bit of single and light twin maintenance,worth a try.

With guys like SR Technics and Shannon Aerospace, you're talking big stuff and they took on quite a few guys in the last quarter of last year so they may not be offering places for at least this September coming or perhaps longer.

Also try Air Atlanta in Shannon, but they're also heavy jet orientated.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
CP.

EI-MICK
9th Feb 2008, 09:42
yes you could try aerospace,probably the quickest route and the best training,i'd stay away from air atlanta,i've friends there who hate it and the stories are horror

B257
10th Feb 2008, 11:45
yes you could try aerospace,probably the quickest route and the best training,i'd stay away from air atlanta,i've friends there who hate it and the stories are horror
I have worked with engineers from both aerospace and air atlanta, and i have to say the air atlanta guys are streets ahead. I believe the training in AAE takes four years to complete compared to 2 1/4 years in SA. Most of the ex AAE guys are fully licenced when they finish there training e.g B1/B2(licenced engineers). Compared to SA guys who finish with an A licence(licenced Mechs able to sign for routine stuff (wheel changes etc).
I have also been told that SA trainees are placed on one section e.g cabin and thats all the do for there 2 1/4 years. Compared to AAE trainees who are rotated through all the different sections on the a/c Engines, Sheet metal, Avionics etc and also the eng, planning, quality, departments etc.
I have a friend who hires for one of the major airlines who has told me when the c.v's come in for a job its the AAE ones that go to the top of the pile..
Just so it is known i have no affiliation with either company.
I hope this helps.

EI-MICK
10th Feb 2008, 17:07
i have to disagree with you there,your years behind.SAL definitely don't task train people anymore,they send them for experience in all different workstations like you mention twith the other guys,my friend works there as an apprentice.

I dont think you'l find a class of fully licensed engineers after the 4 year apprenticeship in AAAE,some with the basic license yes but not full,and the percentage of people who pass all the modules/essays first go within the 4 years is not as high as your making it out to me,i lived with some air atlanta guys and its horror the stories,like being timed how long they were gone to the jacks,a connie I worked with recently also confirmed this,although there is horror stories about both places.

i know everyone has different views but i looked at this a great deal having spoken and shared accomodation with people in both places.unbiased,id go for the quickest route.
however something everyone will agree on is that shannon is a dump and SRT would be good as your not stuck in shannon,alternatively theres cityjet and ryanair also take apprentices.

B257
10th Feb 2008, 17:58
I dont think you'l find a class of fully licensed engineers after the 4 year apprenticeship in AAAE,some with the basic license yes but not full,and the percentage of people who pass all the modules/essays first go within the 4 years is not as high as your making it out to me,i lived with some air atlanta guys and its horror the stories,like being timed how long they were gone to the jacks,a connie I worked with recently also confirmed this,although there is horror stories about both places.

i know everyone has different views but i looked at this a great deal having spoken and shared accomodation with people in both places.unbiased,id go for the quickest route.Mick i dont have a clue nor care about the working conditions in either place. I have worked with people from both places and was giving my honest opinion.
Alot of the young guys in SA train for 2 years then leave and head out on the circuit. For me its a no-brainer 2 years vrs 4 years training, which would you think is to the higher standard. If you talk to people who contract around europe SA lads have gotten a bad name in a lot of places just ask around.

EI-MICK
10th Feb 2008, 18:34
well to be honest its up to the individual person what role of work they'd like and what exams they do and i fully agree that maybe the two years is short especially fellas going connying,but then again the good people from there have good reputations becaused they worked hard up the ladder and gained good experience.
so my opinion,advice to the person who originated the topic is to stay away from aaae because of what i do know about the place,im taking nothing away from their training methods etc but thats my opinion,if you dont like it after 2 and a quarter yrs easy to leave and still have a qualification,leave after 2 and a quarter years in a 4 yr apprenticeship you have nothing.

zigmund
27th Jun 2008, 12:38
I set a new account up for this post as my other one has my first name in it.

I said I would dig this thread up instead of starting a new one. I am currently training in SA and we've been told that we will have to work in either 'sheetmetal and composites'(S&C)or 'mechanics and engineering'(M&E). We wont have the choice apparently. I started this course to do M&E and am worried that Ill be put into sheetmetal. Im not great at it anyway but they might put our whole class in this. I presume this will pretty much decide my career for the rest of my life. I unfortunately dont have much interest in the sheetmetal aspect of things at all.

Im only a few months into my training but Im after receiving a letter to sit and aptitude test for AAAE and just wondering is it worth the change over to an apprenticeship in AAAE. Its just things seem to be getting somewhat inconsistent here at SA,i.e. what were hearing about wages when qualified, whether we'll be stuck on the same line doing the same thing for 2 years or not, not telling us what kind of money extra classes for b license training might cost(if anything), etc. Im just worried that its a small bit of a scam where they get cheap labour for about a year and a half after a bit of fas training.

My other question is, if I end up doing S&C in SA (not by choice), does that mean thats pretty much it for me? I.E. Ill never have the opportunity to work in other areas? Is there much work in S&C and is there anyone here working in that area.

Cheers