PDA

View Full Version : Navy Helicopter Crash Jan 18

HELOFAN
26th Jan 2008, 13:27
I cant find anything more on this... does anyone have any details as to what happened here?

updated 7:14 p.m. CT, Fri., Jan. 18, 2008
A Navy helicopter crashed Wednesday night just outside the Corpus Christi city limits.

Four crew members believed to be on board the chopper. Rescue crews were able to find one survivor from the wreckage. He was transported to Spohn Memorial, and his condition has not been released.

The helicopter went down near County Road 20 and County Road 2444 around 8:15.

Authorities were still looking for the other three crewmen at 10.

Witnesses have said at the time it went down it was a tremendous explosion.

:(

HF

Dan Reno
26th Jan 2008, 14:21
Locals newspapers report it flew into the 850 foot level of a 1000 foot antenna in the fog and investigators went home already.

kwachon
26th Jan 2008, 14:28
Very sad, same thing happened a few years back at Fort Hood, flying in fog!, :confused:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/5468194.html

Fort Hood crash

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/200411/30/eng20041130_165602.html

RJ Kanary
26th Jan 2008, 16:07
?????????????? The lights were OUT on the tower, correct? The FAA KNEW the lights were out on the tower, correct ? And yet the pilot of this aircraft somehow was kept in the dark about this issue ? [NO pun intended.] How does this occur in the Twenty- first Century after the dawn of the Information Age ?
What did I miss ?

Puzzled In Pennslowmania

Phil77
26th Jan 2008, 20:03
very sad accident indeed!

Kanary:
I usualy don't participate in debating who could be to blame for an accident, but here I go: did it ever occur to you - if the news reports are true for a change - that they hit a tower at 850 ft? in fog?! :eek:
WTF are they doing there THAT low in the first place? ...oh and speaking of the "information age": what happened to reading notams?
I bet a bright red flashing light enlighten the cockpit just as the blades hit the tower wouldn't have helped anybody.

sorry for the rant - running for cover!

tottigol
26th Jan 2008, 20:27
It is sad, and we mourne the loss of three fellow members of the armed forces.

A couple of details that not everyone may know: the SeaDragons routinely train at T.McCampbell airport very, very near the crash site.

The memorial services were held yesterday at Corpus Christi NAS.

kwachon
26th Jan 2008, 20:47
One of those aboard the Fort Hood accident was a 3 star General who a meeting to attend. (Some pressure maybe?)

RJ Kanary
27th Jan 2008, 00:23
Phil 77. That was going to be my next question,[after I remove what's left of my stick from the hornet's nest.] <VBG> Were NOTAMS mentioned in any of the reports? Were THEY up to date ? Who did what where that mad an apparent "failure to communicate" possible?
I'm not a pilot, nor do I portray one on television.At the same time, it irritates me to no end to travel around my 'neighborhood' and see broadcast and business radio service towers with non- operational obstruction lighting.{For weeks or MONTHS without being remedied.}
In this day and age however, travelling up to a tower to get the FCC Facility Identification number in order to report a deficiency could likely get you shot. :(
Bottom line, a LACK of information appears to be a major contributor in a needless loss of life.So sad....................

tottigol
27th Jan 2008, 00:42
As probably explained here and elsewhere before, communication towers lights are not under the FAA jurisdiction, unless the tower itself lies inside an aerodrome obstruction plan.
Those lights are controlled by the FCC and unless reported by someone..........