PDA

View Full Version : Help with upcoming Regional Express Cadet pilot Interview

David Spart
26th Jan 2008, 06:24
I've been very fortunate to secure an interview with Regional Express regarding their cadetship. I would like to go in prepared and was wondering if there was anyone out there who may have gone through the same process and could give me any advice on what it involves e.g questions they may ask, testing procedures, tips etc. I would be very very greatful to anyone who could give me a hand. Thanks for your time.

pilotdude09
26th Jan 2008, 06:50
Congrats, but make sure you know what you are getting yourself into.

I once looked at it aswell, thought it was a great idea untill you read some of the finer print etc.

David Spart
26th Jan 2008, 07:15
Thanks. I know its not perfect but I think its a good option none the less.

mavrik1
26th Jan 2008, 07:16
Spartair, looks like Nil, Nil help for you! And your gotta fly with these guys after you get your guts pumped full off lead!

xXmuffin0manXx
26th Jan 2008, 07:47
You should just have a somewhat clear idea of what your going to say when you answer the usual questions such as:

Tell me in a nutshell, why you’re sitting here today
Do you have a plan B?
What do you think Rex's main/most important market is?

Tell us about a situation when:
1/You’ve overlooked something You’ve challenged a given/held assumption
2/When have you gone beyond what was required of you
3/When has someone disagreed with you or your suggestions
4/When you’ve had to stand your ground
5/When have you had to work or think methodically
6/Has there been a time you’ve had to deviate from this?

Then there are those questions you don't prepare for any I can't think
of any on the top of my head but questions like do you have any questions for us? think of all the questions they would ask you
and just come up with answers on a piece of paper..

then there is presentation and things like..tidy hair, what you wear,
smell etc..remember..you only get one chance to make a first impression
so make sure it's a good one..you think they might not care about these
small details..but i can assure you they do!

Overall, just act positively. Don't just sit there and answer questions like a robot..try and make the interview as a conversation; not too formal..but not too informal either..try and also be concise with your answers..most people have a tendency to bring in a background to their answer..in answer to some of those questions, its effective, in others, it just makes your answer boring..

btw..remember to be courteous..in the lead up to the interview..you should see if you can get your hands on some of their annual reports..or anything thats happened lately at rex..it may help..

and!! the program is abt $80 000 isnt it..?

hope this helps:)

David Spart
26th Jan 2008, 07:55
Thanks very much muffin man. I appreciate your time. It certainly helps. Ill remember these points for the interview.

Muffinman
26th Jan 2008, 08:19
Don't thank me - thank the guy with all the xX 's and O's

PPRuNe Towers
26th Jan 2008, 10:41
Isn't it you who should be interviewing them Spartair?

I'm sure regulars can come up with a list of top ten questions

Rob

kalavo
26th Jan 2008, 10:42
Mate, I'm actually a little disappointed at how bitter and twisted people are here on PPRUNE and the lengths they go to discourage people from committing aviation. Seriously, I find it very disgusting that you have nothing better to do than troll this place with your dull responses, hoping someone will bite on your political agenda allowing you to rant further. (Can't wait to see you respond with more of the same)

Now you may have gone through the ranks, realised that a Regional is not for you and that you specifically want a Jet Job. That's fine, and I have no problem with that. But for the people who are young, enthusiastic and want a job with a regional, and may find that being home every night works for them, why do you even bother opening your mouth? You're not contributing anything useful to the conversation here.

I've got a few mates who are with REX and having the time of their lives. Sure, if management practices don't change, they may one day become as bitter as you and complain about wages, and how the company doesn't look after them, etc. but why take away the fun they are having now, not to mention the experience they are gaining which opens so many more doors?

This kid has an interest in aviation, and more specifically in REX, why do you have to pick a fault in that? Take a page out of xXmuffin0manXx's book and give the kid a hand - doing so isn't going to hurt you in anyway. It's people like you turning this industry in to a miserable bunch of .....'s and taking away the magic and fun from the industry - what kid didn't want to be a pilot growing up? - it seriously wasn't all that long ago that crews recognised that magic and ran with it, from the airlines allowing kids up to the cockpit (heck I even scored a jump seat landing or two when I was younger) to the GA operators who would take the time to talk to a kid watching through the fence and show them around... right place, right time I managed to score a formation flight when they were going up for a bit of fun.

Now I don't expect you and your bitterness to invite kids up front or show them around, and I understand that the new set of regulations make that sort of thing harder these days. I also don't mind if you don't want to pass on the favour any of the previous generation of crews did for you when you were younger. But why do you have to go to the other extreme with "Rex sucks mate, don't bother with them!!" or "Save yourself while you still can.R*x is a a piece of :oh: of a company." and assume everyone wants a jet job like you? If you really want to warn him, explain why you say that so he can make his own rational decision. If you're only baiting others then leave it and let the kid aviate however he wants to.

Spartair, if you haven't aleady, head out to your local airfield and go for a TIF. If I was interviewing you, and you hadn't flown a TIF, I'd seriously question how you know you want to be a pilot? I'd also ask yourself if you really want to work with the two negative posters before me :) For me, the answer is no, I'd much rather fly a taildragger on weekends than drive a computer around the sky, but at the same time, you'll get so many opportunities in this industry to see and do things many people never get a chance to, you won't regret it!! :) Best of luck!

Towering Q
26th Jan 2008, 13:37
Spartair, have you read through the various REX posts that have appeared on this forum over the last few months?

Not to say that it is all true but it does make for interesting reading.:uhoh:

wesky
26th Jan 2008, 22:17
Kalavo + Muffinman (with the X's haha),

They were the most constructive posts that I have seen on here for a very long time - thankyou!

Like Spartair, I have an interview with the CP on Tuesday arvo re the cadet scheme.

I'm going in their with a mind set that i'll be doing them a favour - not them doing me a favour thus I will find out every little detail about this "deal". I already made it clear on the phone that I refuse to be in the RH seat for anything more than 3 years and she still wanted to sign me up for the interview with Chris Hine - they must be desperate hehe.

All in all, there is a lot we all don't know about this scheme. To me, the interview is going to be a fact finding mission. I'm willing to put forth the questions that will damage my reputation, thus not getting a chance.

Spartair, while I cannot provide specifics about the interview, I have started researching the Co'. Information such as fleet specs, routes, crisis related issues (read pilot shortage and what they plan to achieve), structure, senior management etc etc.

If you have any flying history (BAK/GFPT/SPL etc etc) and are a little rough on the details, no doubt the CP will question you on some of your knowledge. So brush up on that.

Also, if invited, we will be doing some WOMBAT test. From what I understand, you are in a study/learning environment for 60 minutes and then you get 90 minutes worth of testing based on what we had just learnt.

All in all, take on board all the basic interview ettiquette that muffin man has provided you with.

Lastly, do not, under any circumstances, be affraid to ask questions. You cannot go in to this interview and not ask atleast 10 questions. These guys need to understand that it is your money, your time and your 5 years of service - not that they are giving you a job.... you are paying for that job.
The other little subject is the scholarship. Make it clear to them that you cannot do the course without that other $40k being paid by them. $80k for a MECIR is a bit steep.... so tell them you will need the scholarship. Without it, you wont be doing it.

One question that is on my mind - the first "few" groups will be to address Rex's pilot shortage issue (blah blah blah). HR (Kim) explained to me that the first "few" groups will be for the Saabs RH seat... My question to that was "who is paying for the endo"... she couldnt answer. So, is it going to cost us $90 to be a RH seat driver on a SF340 ($10k for the endo) for 3 years max [it was explained that we would get command within 3 years (I laughed)]

David Spart
26th Jan 2008, 22:25
Thanks Kalavo for your opinion. Flying has been a dream of mine for a long time and I have accumulated a few hours already. There seems to be arguments from both sides and I think they both have good reasons. At this stage im still deciding which route ill take. I think the best thing I can do is decide for myself. Of course the opinions of others are always very helpful and I thank you all very much for your time. Still at this stage im trying to find anyone who has gone through a rex interview or is currently a cadet pilot. I will commit to them if im satisfied with what theyre offering. Thank you all again.

apache
26th Jan 2008, 23:51
Spartair.
It sounds like you are going into this interview with your eyes wide open, and I applaud you for that.
As someone else mentioned, you ONLY get one chance to make a first impression, so make the most of that opportunity. Whilst you do not need to dazzle them from ninute one, making rookie mistakes can really really cost you. Things like :
Not turning your phone off,
turning up late,
spelling mistakes/grammatical errors on your resume(use spellcheck!!!),
dirty shoes or scruffy appearance,
no prior preparation, etc.

DO NOT lay down the law to them in the INTERVIEW.... wait until they offer you the job / cadetship, THEN lay down your terms. If you do NOT like what is on the table, and they won't meet some of your basic requirements, then maybe the job is not for you.
Chris Hine is a lovely bloke, and will make you feel welcomed at all times. Ensure that you are warm and friendly as well as serious. The interview should NOT be him asking you questions, and you responding with one word answers, and then you sitting there in silence whilst he tries to figure out your personality!
Have some decent questions for him too! show that you are interested in moving up within the group ie not just going to sit in the RHS for six years then leave.

remember, it is them interviewing you.... but also YOU deciding if this is the right path for you! I have done a few interviews, been offered the job and decided that what I saw was NOT the path for me.Do NOT be naiive about this position/opportunity.
if this IS the job for you, then good luck!

David Spart
27th Jan 2008, 00:14
Thanks apache, your advice has been very helpful and I thank you for your time and input. I will endeavour to make a good impression and convey my enthusiasm for aviation. Thanks again.

G Cantstandya
28th Jan 2008, 03:44
Kalavo,

I was merely pointing out to the young'n that Rex is not a great company to work for, and the QF cadet course would provide a much better career path. Not for the fact you'll be in a jet quickly but also the way Rex is heading there may not be a company in 2 years!!!!

If i was asking for advice on a huge investment I would want everyones "OPINION"...

Anyway to say we are bitter and you would not want to sit with us is a joke.
I reguarly have kids on the flight deck after flights and encourage all to take up flying as a career.

Anyway, if they choose Rex good luck to them......

KRUSTY 34
28th Jan 2008, 06:59
Quote:

"I already made it clear on the phone that I refuse to be in the RH seat for anything more than 3 years and she still wanted to sign me up for the interview with Chris Hine - they must be desperate hehe."

wesky,

Do you hold a Class 1 ATPL?

Do you have at least 500 hours Multi engine command under the IFR?

If the answer to both of these questions is no, then you will not be in the RHS for 3 years. You will be in the RHS for life!

You are right about one thing, they are desperate. But be under no illusion. CASA make the rules regarding Low Cap RPT, Not the chief pilot of REX, and certainly not the Chairman. After Lockhart river, any watering down of the regs in this regard is highly unlikely.

Mr. Hat
28th Jan 2008, 09:24
Spartair, for just over half the money you can do 18 months in ga, have the time of your life, learn priceless flying and life skils and then go and fy a turbo prop or a jet when you are ready.

Times have changed mate, its a short path these days and it makes reaching your goal all that sweeter.

kalavo - This isn't about CHOOSING to stay in ga or regionals anymore its plain and simple being able to make enough money to buy a house and raise a family. (have you seen how sharply house prices have risen? and have you noticed wages haven't risen as sharply? and what do most people use to pay off mortgages? wages) Case closed.

G Cantstandya - you are right the QF cadetship is the only one.

mavrik1
29th Jan 2008, 22:35
So has anyone got anymore interview information? How did you go?

KRUSTY 34
29th Jan 2008, 22:51
wesky.

How did it go mate? PM me if you like, or let us all in on the details.

Understandably curious.

wesky
30th Jan 2008, 19:56
Krusty and all,

What can I say.

To be honest, anyone that is being demotivated by PPRune posts - there is always 3 sides to the story and you are only ever going to know 2 of them. I strongly suggest that you do your best to discover the 2 sides....

WOMBAT test - unique, nothing I have ever seen or done before. Pain staking = hell yes. Hard - no. 90 minutes of chasing a circle around the screen and flash card tests is more than enough to send a gay man straight.

Interview - put simply, a formal chat. Mine went nothing like your usual interviews of "Give me an example of when you did this, that and everything thing and how the hell did it turn out?"... nothing of the sort. The HR lady, the CP and I had a good chat for about 1.2 hours. Aerodynamic questions are asked to gauge your interest in the industry. Know Rex as much as their media and stat releases allow you too.

My conclusion - Is the program good - yes. Is there anything dodgy - no. Is 5-6 years committment a long time - yes. The big question (and dont anyone dare to ask me how it will work - just get yourself an interview) expected time to command time - 2 years (again, dont question me. get yourself an interview and get the CP to explain it). $80k is a lot of money. In saying that, it covers everything (including 2 ATPL subjects [law and HF's] - right down to the washing powder you need to wash your supplied uniform.

If you can afford to do your MECIR and 30% of the ATPL subjects yourself, do it. You can be doing bigger and better things after 3 years of battling it on the noodle diet up north. The first few groups will be mainly for Rex (SF340). Airlink and Pel arent really in need at this point in time. CP said you can forget about working @ Pel and very little chance of doing Airlink.

At the moment, it is straight out from 32 weeks then on to ground school for 2-3 months while on $30k Once checked to line, expect about $2800 take home p/mnth (base wage plus a DTA built in to the agreement). The endo for the SF340 is in way of being stuck with them for 2 years as opposed to paying $10k. This doesnt matter as you would be stuck there for 5-6 years anyways.

If you have been a pilot, want to be a pilot and can show you interest in aviation but cant afford to progress - go for your life with this - especially if you are young (6 years service at the age of 20 is nothing. If you can afford your own training - get your own training and do the hard yards with out Rex. You will move much quicker and no doubt be more happier and richer :) long before anyone taking up the offer has the opportunity to move away from Rex. In saying that, if you would be happy at Rex - you would be 'set', so to speak.

:)

lil_blueberry
30th Jan 2008, 21:10
Gday,

may not be entirely relevent to this cadet discussion but here is what a recruiter said to me two days ago:

* 28 Day roster - in which the first 14days are set in stone.
* Pay: 30k for the first 90 days then $42k once checked to line..... which ever happens first.
* D.T.A of $5 per flight hour (i believe) payed when your away from home base so you can earn depending on where your based anywhere from an extra $2k - 10k on top of your base salary.

Forgot to ask about bond period, but i believe is two years.

Good luck in the interview, interviews are generally harder with more experience you have..... but just try to relay the experience and WHAT you learned from it, even if it seemed negative. Always be learning.........

Yes while QF.link is better pay and basings etc dont listen to these morons who poo poo every thing about Rex.... truth is its RPT, Multi-crew time which is invaluable to your future airline prospects.

Short term sacrifice....long term gain...... and great experience!

Good luck. :ok:

wesky
30th Jan 2008, 21:44
DTA is down at $4.62 per hour from time you sign on to time you sign off for your shift - no other allowances unless you are CPT etc etc.

They said that it is expected that you would do 800 hours a year. So in DTA alone you could make around $3700 extra a year. Not much but it may push you in to the $3100 per month take home bracket.

The bond period is correct - 2 years. For cadets, not applicable because you are stuck there for 5-6years anyways.

I think you hit the nail on the head - multi crew opportunity and big gains.

It's a big step in the door for someone who is willing to walk a few extra hundred miles to chase the dream.

KRUSTY 34
30th Jan 2008, 23:52
Thanks wesky and blueberry.

Pretty much nailed the numbers, but the DTA will probably run to between 7-9 K PA!

One of my problems with employing low time guys and girls as well as the cadets (low time by definition) is the issue of command upgrades. As far as the concept of getting into a company like REX with little or no experience, being a golden opportunity, I couldn't agree more. I spent 9 years in GA. Had a class 1 ATPL and over 2000 hours multi IFR command before I got an interview! I am far from being bitter about that, but I think a reality check is in order as to the long term worth to the company of accepting the current situation without even trying to retain existing experienced crew.

I know I've been flogging this line for some time, but it is such a serious problem that it will, in the not too distant future, jeopodise the financial viability of the company itself. And at the end of the day, that is what really matters.

So you can understand my curiosity as to CH's response when asked the time frame for command. I can only assume that the 2 years would refer to the time it will take to log the 1500 hours total to hold a class 1 ATPL. Mind you Co-pilot time may only be logged as 50% of total aeronautical experience. So you do the math on that one. Also this would assume that all your ATPL subjects have been sucessfully completed. Do not plan on having a life over the next 2 years if you want to make this happen. You will be working max hours! Then there is the question of the min multi command requirement. If you have only, say 100 of these hours, did CH shed any light on to how the balance will be made up. There is some speculation that F/O's may be able to log ICUS whilst in the course of normal line flying. I can tell you now that most of the current line Captains will be unwilling to sign off on that one. No malice intended, but unless you are a check and trainer, the others will not be prepared to put their reputations on the line in that regard. Finally, commands are now running at less than 8 months. Mmmm.. 8 Months....2 years??? see what I mean?

wesky, one thing is for sure. There are 2 sides to every story!

goaroundagain
24th Feb 2008, 10:16
Gday guys

Well done to those of you that have got through to yoru interview stage.

Did you do the testing or the interview first?

Any feedback on the testing or the interview process?

Happy and safe flying guys and gals.

goaroundagain:ok:

Dekka
16th May 2009, 02:06
I might be poking an old thread here but i cant resist...

I have just been asked to attend an interview with REX in response to my application for the cadet ship too. Some very interesting reading in this thread however it has shown me my naivety! my interview is on Tuesday and I feel quite comfortable and prepared, but some of the terms you have used elude me...

1. endo?

2. CP? Chris Hines?

3. DTA?

I have no plans to fly 747's for QANTAS, although im sure my plans will change with time, but cooporate jets really appeal to me, as do the SAAB 340's having said that do you think that i will find a rewarding career at REX?

Keep in mind i am now 31 years old

increasedescent
16th May 2009, 04:20
Dekka,

1. Endo = Endorsement

2. CP = Chief Pilot = Chris Hines @ REX

3. DTA = Duty Time Allowance

I would suggest that you perhaps gain a bit more general knowledge before the interview. Good luck nonetheless.

ID

Dekka
16th May 2009, 07:58
well im only GFPT atm and im always hearing new things, thanks for the heads up! I would love to hear from someone who has actually done the training with REX. ??

Mr. Hat
16th May 2009, 11:03
24th February 2008, 10:16

The good ol days.

I have no plans to fly 747's for QANTAS dekka everyone says this one i reckon even i said it once.

sockedunnecessarily
16th May 2009, 12:17
So, Wesky...

expected time to command time - 2 years

You got told this in January 2008. It is now May 2009. Command should only be 8 months away now....

apache
16th May 2009, 19:54
2. CP = Chief Pilot = Chris Hines @ REX

better get his name right... it is CHRIS HINE.

note.... no "S" .... at least in the name

4520 Represent.
18th May 2009, 08:43
Just had my last interview with Kim and the ex. CP Marcus Davey at the Sydney office. All went well... I think... I get a call this friday with the yae or nae. This was for the June the 22nd intake. Anyone else done an interview for this one??

I also saw more people doing the WOMBAT testing as I was waiting... I was told the cadetship was still going strong and that there were will be many more to come.:):):):):):):):};):O:hmm:

Ytee, have you gone any farther man???:confused:

pylet
18th May 2009, 23:09
To all the guys and gals considering/interviewing for the Rex Cadetship, I sincerely hope you've done some serious research, read the reg's and spoken to as many in the industry as possible. Surely the issues surrounding the cadetship posted on this thread have been enough to deter many from applying, or at the very least, made those interested to ask the right questions.

I'm not going to bother pointing-out the conditions surrounding the Rex Cadetship (as it's been done to death many times over), but I am interested to hear from those applying/interviewing about what they expect from the program medium/long-term? The Saab is a great aircraft (I've flown them), but after 6 months the shine does wear-off, especially on the coin you'll be on, the hours you'll work and in the seat you'll be occupying!

This economic downtown will rebound, the demand for air travel will return, and although the levels of airline employment may not reach the height they did 12-18 months ago airlines will not doubt employ. Don't expect the hour requirement to drop further as the supply will once again exceed demand and those in GA and Regionals with 500+ MECIR will get the jet-jobs again. There is a lot to said about finding that intial flying job (charter or instructing), moving into larger aircraft and getting a gig with an airline with all the right boxes ticked to progress to the left seat over time.

So, getting back to the question to those looking at the Rex Cadetship. What do you hope to gain from the program post-training and career wise?

aviator23
28th May 2009, 02:26
I find it hard to believe that a Rex cadet with say a few thousand hours in the RHS of a Saab is less employable than say a thousand hour GA pilot? Yes the cadet won't have the 500 hours multi engine command under the ifr but they will have airline experience, doesnt that account for anything?

Once employed by a larger airline with a high capacity AOC any time logged from the RHS will be as command time, multi engine and ifr hence the 500 hours to gain a command/ATPL will be quickly obtained.

I have heard that often people are employed for companies (including the large airlines) even when they do not have the current criteria, so maybe there is a chance for the rex cadets in a few years time once the hours and experience have been acquired?!?

27/09
28th May 2009, 10:48
so maybe there is a chance for the rex cadets in a few years time once the hours and experience have been acquired?!? Maybe.

However there is something to be said for the pilot who has been out there making command decisions without the reliance on someone else to help make those decisions.

I think pilots that have gone directly into the RHS without getting the chance to make their own decisions as a CPL have missed out on an important part of their development as a pilot. I believe this is why there is the stipulated P in C time for an ATPL.

Chadzat
28th May 2009, 11:08
Keep telling yourself what you want to hear aviator23 but the FACTS are all on this forum. Check out this thread for an answer to all your "but surely!....." questions-

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/362953-rex-cadets.html

aviator23
29th May 2009, 05:03
Fair call Chadzat (http://www.pprune.org/members/107249-chadzat) but you have to remember this is a 'rumour' network not 'fact' network so i think we will all ahve to sit back and let it all come out in the wash!

I think if Rex did come to some arrangement with Casa in regard to the ICUS/command upgrade issue how the whole tune of this thread would change?!? Who knows, only time will tell. Goodluck

Grogbog
29th May 2009, 17:01
I know fella's who have been recruited by Cathay with around 150hrs command.... The 1000+ hours of Multi Crew time, their attitude and education was what got them the job. QANTAS also take people with 1500 Multi Crew hours and only 150hrs command from memory. Jetstar only require 250 command of which 150 can be ICUS. Multi Crew hours are GOLD, absolute GOLD. You can accrue some command hours dropping meat bombs on your days off or holidays etc if you are truely motivated and want to get a few hundred in your logbook over your first few years as a F/O.

Most of us here in Oz (me included) had to "do our time" in GA and as such we believe it creates good decision making skills and tests your attitude etc. If you don't bash round in a C206/C210 before getting 500 Multi in a Baron or Chieftan you just can't fly.... Just ask all the bitter and twisted folks out there (me included) who didn't get looked at until we had 1000+ multi command. In Europe 200hr Cadets fly SAAB's, DASH's and 737/A320's and they don't bend them, it's all just a shift in culture we GA "veterans" will have to adjust to in the future. Training is the key.

If was a kid again I'd give it a go.... GA is a huge gamble just as REX may be a gamble. The gamble that gets you 2000hrs+ in a SAAB over your first few years seems great to me. Go for it, be positive and learn all you can. This industry is full of negative people who will try to drag you down.

increasedescent
6th Jun 2009, 09:47
Go for it, be positive and learn all you can. This industry is full of negative people who will try to drag you down.

Thank god there's still some positive souls out there. I hope there are more like you.

ID

PS. apache, apologies for the typo, you are quite right.

apache
6th Jun 2009, 12:37
no need to apologise to me. Many a time have I heard him referred to as "Chris Hines". It is not MY name! I was just suggesting that it may look a bit better in the interview if you get his name right.

but appreciate your thought :)

increasedescent
6th Jun 2009, 12:54
:} Apache, don't get me started! Been there, done that and chose to run in the opposite direction. Have taken the 'traditional' route into GA - now glad I did. However, for the benefit of those still thinking of the cadetship, Chris is a very fair and understanding guy.

ID

wesky
8th Jun 2009, 09:25
So, Wesky...

Quote:
expected time to command time - 2 years

You got told this in January 2008. It is now May 2009. Command should only be 8 months away now....

Apologies for the belated reply...

I never signed up to the deal :)

As a side note, I've been in contact with a couple of the 'cadets'... boy am I glad i'm not one of them!

FlyingChipmunk
8th Jun 2009, 14:45
Dear Wesky,

now that you've got all of us sniffing for blood, could you please share with us, for the greater good of all thinking about the 'cadetship', why you're glad that you did'nt take the leap of faith?

thanks

raufo16
19th Sep 2009, 08:21
Hi all, i Have been silently reading this forum for sometime now but have never posted anything up untill now. I along with many people have some interest in the Rex cadet program. about 6 months ago i applied for it, did the wombats test, got an interview and a few weeks later got offered a spot in the program.

I also had many concerns with how it was possible to make capitan etc. and after many nights of no sleep i eventualy decided not to sign the contract and i declinded their offer. I am 21 yrs old now and am just about to graduate From uni with a bach of bussiness.I have some flying logged, about 50hours of flight time. And am having 2-3 lessons a week currently.

Anyway i Just wanted to tell everyone in particular krusty and a few others that you helped me make the decison, You raised some serious questions when i was very confused which when forwarding onto the rex group they could not answer to my satisafaction. After doing alot! of research about the program since i turned it down i still feel like i have done the right thing and so do many very informed people i have spoke too.

Now i have my degree and im getting my hours up and studying really hard.(And absolutlely living it)with alot of hard work and abit of luck hopefully it will all work out and i look back in 5 years and will be glad im still not locked into that very dodgey contract with rex.

P.s Wesky im also very interested on what you have heard and why you are now glad you didnt take up the job?

Wally Mk2
20th Sep 2009, 10:44
'raufo16' that's a nice human interest story there, well done.

I hope you can take that hard learnt advice from the many in here whom are in the know & make more good decisions along the way to hopefully a life long career in aviation. Come back here in say 30 yrs time (Krusty & I & many others older in here will be drooling at some airfield fence line by then) & tell all how a decsion for you like this one payed off:ok:

Wmk2

KRUSTY 34
20th Sep 2009, 11:27
The important thing is that you made an informed decision. Not necessarily because of what others here have said, but because you asked the questions that needed to be asked. You thought carefully about the answers, and when they didn't add up, you made the appropriate choice. Well done!

As far as the REX cadetship goes, there are many as yet unanswered questions regarding career progression. Anyone who invests that kind of money and commitment without being 100% positive of where it is heading, is probably not quite facing the reality of the situation, or at best is engageing in wishfull thinking. Ironically most of us have headed down a similar path at some stage or another in the pursuit of our careers! There are certainly no garantees with the "traditional" route either, so I guess who can blame any Cadet for taking the punt?

But remember this, REX are currently overstaffed with First Officers. The number at present is approx 30 and will grow even more with each intake. If REX lose even a modest amount of captains or the few remaining upgradeable F/O's to the major airlines, the situation will become critical. If they lose anywhere near the number they lost 2 years ago, the situation will be disasterous! REX management have painted themselves into corner with this one, and I can tell you it's keeping them up at night. Like a cornered animal, their final solution to the problem may be unpredictable. Cadets will just have to trust those pulling the strings won't decide to end their career's before they start! Have a good look at the "contract" before you sign?

Personally, I trust them about as far as I could throw them!:ok:

raufo16
19th Oct 2009, 23:54
Hey Krusty,

Now i know you have most likely explained this before and are probaly sick of talking about it. But as you all ready know i had the chance to be a rex cadet, and turned it down. Now there are many questions to be answered in regards to the cadetship, which we all know about. But the main problem i had with it was the uncertainty of being able to make captain during your time employed with Rex. I now have a freind of mine who was talking about joining the program and i was trying to explain to him this problem but im not very good at explaing it because i dont know all the laws and requirements very well like im shore you do. If its ok could you please explain to me in a basic way why you dont think it is possible to progress to this point? it would be greatly appreciated. ta..

Chadzat
20th Oct 2009, 02:31
To hold a command of a Rex SF340 which is a Low Capacity RPT aircraft over 5700kg you need a few things-

1. ATPL
2. 500 hours Multi engine command or ICUS (In command under supervision).

The second one is the problem, as you will not have even 1hr multi engine command with the cadetship. Bearing in mind even doing a command multi engine instrument rating- the training is all dual and does not count at all to that 500hr requirement.

So you need command hours to hold a command position, but you don't get any command hours in rex, and its doubtful if the company would be keen to put a Training captain in the RHS to get you all those hours.

As much as rex will tell you they are trying to get the rules changed- it will not happen IMO as the current buzz around the industry is how to get MORE experienced pilots into regionals, rather than LESS.

If your friend tries to use Qantas pilots as an example of cadets holding commands, that is completely different as they operate under a High Capacity AOC. Different rules.

KRUSTY 34
20th Oct 2009, 07:27
Spot on Chadzat. The only way REX can provide ICUS is with a candidate sitting in the left seat, and a qualified Check and/or Training Captain in the right. Huge tie up of resources!

Sorry for the belated reply raufo16, but I will go a step further. The ATPL is also a problem for Cadets with no previous flying experience. To hold a Class 1 ATPL the candidate requires a min of 100 hours command. It doesn't have to be multi, but it has to be command, no ICUS. The REX Cadet program I do believe only provides around 70 hours Command. Now 30 hours may not seem much, but try affording that on your own time whilst making $42K P/A.

I've heard that REX may include the extra 30 hours (at a price) in the cadet program. That may help with the ATPL, but then there's the 500 hours Multi-Command!

Either way it's a gamble. In 6 years time, because that's how long it will take before you reach the minimum hour requirement for command, things may have changed.

Then again, they may not!:sad:

Muff Hunter
20th Oct 2009, 21:43
Notwithstanding the req's for a command at REX, I believe they would be derelict in their duties by putting soemone in the left seat who has only had a few years exprience in the industry.

And, has only been subject to an insulted way of doing things..

oneday_soon
21st Oct 2009, 02:32
Is the Cadetship some sort of prison camp, where you get to pay $80,000 for staying there. Just reading the FAQ's for the cadetship and it says you are not allowed to leave during the week and on some weekends. Who are they targeting, 12 year olds or something. Treat people like children, and they just might act like them. This offer looks insane to me.

Muff Hunter
21st Oct 2009, 03:01
that's what happens when the head of check and training is a complete physcopath.

he even had his ground instructors throwing people out of class on ground schools when they did something he didn't like. i,e forgetting to turn your phone and it rings....get out!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw it first hand!! I thought they were going to make you do lines after class!:ugh:

amature hour to say the least...

raufo16
21st Oct 2009, 08:56
Thanks to all who replyed so quickly! As i mentioned before it really was appreciated. That clears things up nicely and makes it alot easier for me to explain. Im still happy with my decision, The idea of short term glory straight into an airline is so tempting as im shore you can understand,but im shore in the long one it wouldnt be worth it.

Just in case anyone was interested. I actualy drove over to Wagga last Sunday as there was an airshow at the RAAF Base, And the rex cadets had a little tent sent up. I went up and asked them how it was all going an some didnt really reply, then one guy said it was ok. There was only 7 or 8 of them there so i asked if that was it? He said that all that was still in that class, meaning 3 people have left recently after they dropped 5 grand which they dont get back for 5 weeks of being there. I also was chatting to a family friend who had a close member of his family finish the course early this year, And after finishing they didnt have any spots for him so they have forced him to take leave and he is just sitting around waiting to be offered a spot. I think thats so unfair and feel so sorry for him.. anyways thanks again for clearing that up for me.

Fonz121
21st Oct 2009, 09:39
gday raufo,

Congrats on a good decision. Not normally a spelling nazi but its sure not shore. Just a friendly tip.

oneday_soon
21st Oct 2009, 22:39
How is it that this airline won Regional Airline of the year award? They have treated people like crap for years, they seem to be treating cadets like crap. I don't get it!

raufo16
21st Oct 2009, 22:45
Well spotted "FONZ121". Im usually abit of a perfectionist when it comes to my grammar. After posting that last reply, i thought to my self someone will shorely comment on that poor attempt :). There was plenty of errors.Thanks for the tip though..

Blackbird14
18th Nov 2009, 04:53
mate, it's surely not shorely...

Fonz121
18th Nov 2009, 06:43
I think he was taking the piss on that last one Blackbird

Zoomy
18th Nov 2009, 19:05
I am not so shore on that. Perhaps he was. In any case, good on you mate. Get out there and have some fun in GA. It really is what you make of it.:ok:

Blackbird14
19th Nov 2009, 00:44
Fonz121, In that case i'll give him the benefit of the doubt..

GAFA
19th Nov 2009, 03:28
Heard they now ask questions on ditching:)

Grogbog
19th Nov 2009, 03:39
And a couple on interpreting WX forecasts and one or two on planning for Alternates:ouch:

Maybe a quick make over for Cleo Bachelor of the year photo shoot also....

raufo16
26th Nov 2009, 10:08
Hi all, Just to clear that up for you. Yes, yes i was taking the piss in that last reply.But thanks for the benifit of the doubt :). Thanks again for everyones help and advice.

JIM1984
27th Nov 2009, 01:14
GAFA, a tip for you my friend just out of curiosity who gave that name to you did it come about through your inherit ability of not being to keep your mouth shut :oh: so if for some reason you still feel the urge to talk garbage then pop down to your local bunnings and grab yourself some GAFA tape and then firmly apply it to that mouth of yours. All the best :ok:

Danish_4116
28th Sep 2011, 11:15
Hey Guys,
If anyone stumbles across this thread like I have, I just want to share my experience going through the REXAir interview down in Wagga.
Right off the bat, you should know that you will be travelling to and from Sydney or Melbourne and Wagga a few times throughout the selection process and REX doesn't help cover any of the costs. I didn't even get a discount when I flew REX from Sydney to Wagga, which I felt was a bit cheap.

There are two interviewers, the AAPA CFI and REX Senior Pilot. They went through a sheet with the topics they need to discuss with all candidates and wrote comments next to each topic discussed. I'm fairly certain they ask these questions to all candidates for all intakes. Make sure you really know the company's details including the names of the CEO Lim Kim Hye and the COO Chris Hine. Also make sure you are familiar with basic aerodynamics regardless of your actual flying experience. I went in to the interview with about three hours of gliding experience and still got grilled on the aerodynamics of turns, stalls and control surfaces. I was also asked about the lift coefficient (L = (1/2) d v2 s CL). That's about as technical as they got during my interview. Otherwise, make sure you know the routes REX flies, the company's ethos, what type and models of aircraft they fly. Then there are the general questions like "Why do you want to be a pilot?", "What will you do if you don't get this cadetship with REXAir?" and "What have you done to prepare yourself for the selection process?". When I asked them about my MECIR and ATPL ratings by the end of the seven years, they seemed to be caught off-guard and told me that they were "going to" introduce an ICUS program and IF you were selected to complete it, you would end up with your MECIR and ATPL.

The interview is nothing to worry about and the flight screening immediately following is a joke. All I was asked to do was a couple of turns in a simulator and that was it. The AAPA itself is quite nice, it has a sizeable cafeteria, gym and pool with decent sized classrooms and accommodation and it's all nicely kept. A few of the cadets had their cars there with them and the couple I managed to talk to all seemed to love the program.

As for myself, I turned it down after hearing about their $28k payment to start and the whole ICUS thing. ATM I am tossing up between doing a Bachelor of Aviation at Griffith Uni or just going down to my local flying school and advancing through GA.

jibba_jabba
28th Sep 2011, 22:31
Thanks for that. You did the right thing by turning it down. You will be a much more rounded pilot by going through GA.

Yes Rex are Cheap! Yes you will pay in the long run for anything you get handed in the short term with Rex.

The managment are generally approachable while your a "yes" man type pilot. But generally turn very vindictive if you step out of there tune.

Consider Qantaslink.

I would go through GA and if you want to do a degree, do it in something other than aviation, that way you will at least have a backup if you cant fly or dont want to anymore. Trust me on that one.

Danish_4116
3rd Oct 2011, 04:13
Yeah I'm sort of leaning towards GA right now. I know a guy who just graduated from Griffith's aviation program and doesn't have a job yet and another guy, same age, who went through GA and now flies for an aerial photography company.

peterspare
18th May 2016, 12:04
Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone out there regardless of their stance on the rec Cadetship good or bad, could take the time if they don't mind to explain how the WOMBAT testing for REX went for them if they did it recently (2016 or end of 2015).

I will be applying for REX and have read the WOMBAT manual but insider and first hand knowledge is and could be major advantage for me with the test.

Also, any information on the whole recruitment process (interviews, questions and any general advice) would be much highly and greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance.

Pete!