PDA

View Full Version : CPL helicopter training..

kristy7781
26th Jan 2008, 03:49
I'm just about to start flt training towards my CPL in helicopters at PHS - Professional Heli Services at Morrabbin. They seem to be held in high regard from everything I've read about them, and they seem to have a good reputation for quality of training.

However from my initial contacts with the school, I've been less than impressed with their ability to provide me with assistance and advice to start my flying. I expected them to be fully prepared for new students, and give me as much help and advice as possible to start flying at their school - after all it is a sale that they are making, and a $40-$50k one at that!

I was less than impressed however, and found that I had to chase them for information, and was passed around to many different people to answer a simple question such as the cost of their theory courses. No one could answer a basic question such as that! I'm a bit hessitant about joining them now after this first impression, and was hoping someone out there can shed some light on whether they are a good school. The problem is there aren't too many helicopter schools around melbourne to choose from, and PHS 'seemed' the best.... I don't want to take a gamble with my career.

Cheers,

K

bigsquirrel
26th Jan 2008, 04:08
Hey Kristy, you are probably better off placing the same message in the Rotorheads section, probably will get a better response.

Good luck

Bigsquirrel

Capt Wally
26th Jan 2008, 04:29
yes a much better place for this topic, rotor heads. I will be interested to hear some of the rotary guys responses there. I too was once considering a conversion to 'angry palm trees' flying but decided to keep the wings 'fixed' where they where meant to be after doing some basic research that ended up pretty much as our learned friend mentions here! :}

CW:)

RBS
26th Jan 2008, 04:47
Kristy

My advice to you is to take your hard earned 50k, walk next door and speak to the helicopter group. They will give you better bang for or buck. PHS is a very busy school, but lack the personal attention that you would expect after handing over quite a considerable amount of money.

I trained there, flew when I wanted and found them to be extremely comitted and professional. Speak to as many people as you can, and if they can't give you the time and the info that you need, blow them off.

RBS

Duck Pilot
26th Jan 2008, 04:49
kristy7781,
Check your private messages.

flying-spike
26th Jan 2008, 05:22
My Advice, Head for Mangalore.Good operator up there.

Willyboy
26th Jan 2008, 06:38
Helicopter Group! :)

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
26th Jan 2008, 10:18
Graham Gillies at Maroochydore is fantastic ( blue tongue helicopters ), a very well known member of the industry, he is the only operator in that area i would deal with.

Do not know much about PHS.

Lasiorhinus
26th Jan 2008, 12:43
However, a while ago, after completing a certain milestone in my training, I thought I would reward myself by going for a TIF in a helicopter. Being at Moorabbin, I dropped by PHS for a chat with an instructor - but the staff in there got as far as hearing "interested in flying helicopter", and wanted to book me in for the TIF right there and then. No pleasantries or friendly chit-chat, but a rush to take my money.

The overall impression I was left with was they were cold, impersonal, and wanted my money.

Helicopter Group next door were far more friendly.

PHS seems to be a bit of a sausage factory. Having spoken with quite a few of their students, it seems there is a lot of dogma and indoctrination into "the PHS life". This impression has been gained secondhand, but I'm sure you can do better for heli training. Don't forget to look outside of Melbourne, too. There are some VERY reputable operators outside of the captial cities.

Capt Wally
27th Jan 2008, 01:42
hey "las" have to agree with you on that one. A friend of mine now in the majors mentioned the same as you did with 'that' Co. The guys next door where I did a heli TIF a couple of years ago couldn't be more helpful. Even after the hr or so of trying to stop the best from crashing they didn't make me feel as tho I should sign up on the spot. Always do research when it comes to the big bucks we have to shell out just for the privilege of fooling gravity !:)

CW:)

Howard Hughes
27th Jan 2008, 01:46
My suggestion is do a TIF with a number of different operators and then make up your mind!;)

Also by the third or fourth try you will have a definite idea of what and who you want to fly with!:ok:

kristy7781
27th Jan 2008, 05:54
Thanks for the advice all. I'm going to drop into The Heli group and have a chat to them, and talk to the operator at Mangalore, Kestrel - although they're probably too far away.

I guess the biggest thing was that PHS claimed to offer their students their first job, which I hear is one of the most difficult things at the start.

Better to try get things right the first time, than be doing this :ugh: in a few months time!

Cheers.

Lasiorhinus
27th Jan 2008, 06:05
Do PHS actually guarantee you that first job?

(Or do they guarantee that the job will actually be flying? Some PHS students I know have recieved their first job... selling tickets for helicopter joyflights, while one of their instructors racks up Jetranger hours actually doing the joyflights).

Once again, my experience is all secondhand, but it appears that there is a great deal of inconsistency among instructors: scant effort is put in to ensuring students have the same instructor time and again - it seems normal to fly with someone new every lesson for your first half a dozen flights.

They have an operational base at Uluru, and yes, many of their students fly for them up there. I believe that PHS won't employ anyone who didnt train with them. But they do seem to put "the rock" up on some kind of pedestal, implying that the lucky few who get selected for a flying job over there pretty much will have their careers made, and those lucky few fortunate enough to be selected for the job of "hangar rat" without any chance of flying an actual helicopter for a year or so, should be grateful for the opportunity. :yuk:

Capt Hollywood
27th Jan 2008, 06:56
No one will guarantee you a job, not even the military will guarantee you a flying job at the moment!

PHS and the Helicopter Group operate virtually identical operations at Ayers Rock. When I left two years ago, PHS had two Jetrangers and a Longranger. The Helicopter Group, or Ayers Rock Helicopters as their Ayers Rock operation is known, had an R44 and a Jetranger. Having said that, the aircraft types and numbers vary through the year depending on interstate contracts and the seasonal variation of the tourism industry.

Both companies have trained and employed a lot of pilots, most of the students that they have employed have succeeded in the industry, some reaching command IFR roles, others finding success at other levels.

Check your pm's.

CH :cool:

Kulwin Park
28th Jan 2008, 12:06
I'm just about to start flt training towards my CPL in helicopters at PHS - Professional Heli Services at Morrabbin. They seem to be held in high regard from everything I've read about them, and they seem to have a good reputation for quality of training.

However from my initial contacts with the school, I've been less than impressed with their ability to provide me with assistance and advice to start my flying. I expected them to be fully prepared for new students, and give me as much help and advice as possible to start flying at their school - after all it is a sale that they are making, and a $40-$50k one at that!

I was less than impressed however, and found that I had to chase them for information, and was passed around to many different people to answer a simple question such as the cost of their theory courses. No one could answer a basic question such as that! I'm a bit hessitant about joining them now after this first impression, and was hoping someone out there can shed some light on whether they are a good school. The problem is there aren't too many helicopter schools around melbourne to choose from, and PHS 'seemed' the best.... I don't want to take a gamble with my career.

Kristy, I agree with you! I'm thinking of starting my training with PHS also, but found the same thing in regards to not sitting down for 5 minutes & explaining how to start, when best time to start for your own personal situation (they hear how busy you are, or what upcoming work/commitments that you would have to work around), what you need prior to starting, or maybe book an appointment for this - not just quickly rush you thru the criteria since they have a class they are doing. Personally I feel better whan they listen to how you would structure the CPL around your requirements. This would be better in an appointment.

I did go visit THG next door, and they were of similar help, and thoroughly said how it would happen. 2 things tho about them were ... 1- they seemed dis-organised, cluttered, nobody in reception & were even unsure when books or even staff were or even knowing if they were in today (not a good image). ... and 2- they have no in-house theory school (have to use a guy at Peter Bini's).

I dropped by PHS for a chat with an instructor - but the staff in there got as far as hearing "interested in flying helicopter", and wanted to book me in for the TIF right there and then. No pleasantries or friendly chit-chat, but a rush to take my money.

The overall impression I was left with was they were cold, impersonal, and wanted my money.

Yes, Las, I also found that. It's really as mentioned above - you don't go and throw a lot of money into investments without sitting down withyour broker and discussing the ins & outs of your financial goals & personal situation & contributions, without having a meeting with him.

BUT, saying all that, I'm still unsure where I will go for the CPL training.

Keep us posted Kristy... Cheers, KP

kristy7781
29th Jan 2008, 02:58
Hi KP - I'm glad to hear it wasn't just me that had that experience, perhaps PHS just haven't realised what people expect to happen when they first enquire about flying training, and are too busy to worry because they get by on their reputation and contacts... one thing's for sure, they are going to lose potential students if they don't take the time to sit down and talk to them at least, and demonstrate why they should invest $45K in their flying school...

I'm going to visit both again this weekend to make my decision so i can start some flying. I got the impression that THG was also quite unorganised, which didn't put me at ease...

I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers, Kristy

totalreaction
27th Oct 2010, 11:31
Sooo.. Who did you end up going with Kristy? And how did it work out?

ReverseFlight
27th Oct 2010, 11:55
In my quest for the best heli school in Oz, I personally visited some of the major schools around the country in such locations as far flung as Jandakot, Maroochydore, Caloundra, Gold Coast, Mangalore and Melbourne.

IMHO there is no such thing as a best school, as each one is stronger in certain aspects but disappointing in others. Believe me, I had accumulated a fair bit of rotary experience before approaching these schools for further advanced training. It really depends on what your own expectations are in finding the school which best fits your own requirements. Good luck to all. :ok:

Homesick-Angel
27th Oct 2010, 13:14
Mangalore will take 1 hour 30 easy minutes on the Hume.Id take that over 30 mins on the road past southland.

tail wheel
27th Oct 2010, 20:13
Last PPRuNe visit by Kristy7781: September 13 2008.

A further response is unlikely?