PDA

View Full Version : N reg. aircraft in UK shared by owners

zakka
26th Jan 2008, 01:53
Hi

It has probably been discussed before, but I havn't been able to find a good answer so far. My question is, if it is possible for several owners to share an aircraft that is N registered with just one pilot who works with a fixed salary in the UK?
All expenses would be shared by the owners. It has to be said that it's all for private operation. I am well aware, that if you want to charter your plane, you need UK register and an AOC.

Thanks

B200Drvr
27th Jan 2008, 05:08
Any aircraft on the N reg has to be owned by a private individual or a "company". If your shared owners are not "board members" on the "company" that owns the aircraft, you might be accused of charter.

Jetscream 32
27th Jan 2008, 08:05
zakka,

no dramas at all as long as a proper contract / agreement exists between all the owners that relates the the trust or individual that owns the aircraft - then as long as the pilot holds the necessary type rating blah, blah, then all should be ok - but you need to make sure that the "owners" through ignorance dont try and offer the aircraft to their friends for a discounted fee as you then cross the line in to AOC / Charter.

PM if you want more info

Tequilaboy
29th Jan 2008, 17:26
Is there any reason they would not want it on an AOC, charter revenue can only reduce owner costs if done properly?

youngskywalker
29th Jan 2008, 18:46
I'm guessing that to put it on an AOC they would need to be European registered, have an expensive ops manual, expensive AOC post holders, FTL's etc etc

Private owners probably don't want this hassle, and also they will want availability of the aircraft when they want it.

Tequilaboy
29th Jan 2008, 19:13
....however with a good management programme these costs can easily be offset. I saw a cracking proposal from a private management company the other day but at the end of the day with an established company whom already has the AOC and post holders etc this overhead is just divided across the fleet so you could end up paying a quarter of that overhead for example whilst still reducing your hourly costs.

Steak&Kidney_Pie
8th Feb 2008, 20:24
Tequila boy,

Very True, but it is difficult to charter an aircraft when several users require its use...trust me it doesn't work with my aircraft! Chartering is excellent for cost reduction, but it comes at the price of more regular maintenance, increased wear and tear from members of the public, and more down time, because things seem to break more regularly (probably my luck tho!)

Zakka

You need to realistically setup an American company if you wish to buy and operate the aircraft, but there are people who can help you with this. There is no real issue at all with what you want to do.

Tequila Boy is right if you wish to reduce the costs, but it requires an aircraft that is JAA OPS compliant (more expensive to buy, even more to convert) and will require a second crew member and hence salary/expenses etc. If you can do it privately then go for it!

As long as the only passenger are shareholders/directors, company employees or family members of the former, then it is acceptable.

S&KP