PDA

View Full Version : how many pilot's

darrylj
25th Jan 2008, 20:52
when an aircraft is being push-backed or coming onto stand, as well as seeing the normal two up flight crew, i sometimes very often see like one or two other's behind them peeping out :suspect:.
especially on 747-400 flights.
:confused:

are they flight crew as well as i have seen a fair few in civilian clothing.

thank you.

:ok:

BelArgUSA
25th Jan 2008, 21:34
Hola Darryl -
xxx
The first thing is to ask yourself is "short-haul" or "long-haul flight"...
My airline acquired 747-400s a few years ago, to replace our 747-200 fleet. The airline management obviously decided... Payroll only 2 rather than 3...
xxx
With our regulations regulations (Argentina uses US/FAA regulations) - the limit of flight time for a crew of 2, is 8 hours scheduled flight time, and 12 hours duty time (which starts 90 minutes before scheduled departure and ends 30 minutes after scheduled arrival). And to the surprise of the management, we are never able to fly a 747-400 to fly with its minimum crew, in view of flight and duty time limitations. The 747-400 is generally a long-haul aircraft... maybe not with the 747-400D in Japan...!
xxx
For flights up to 12 hours, we need to include 1 relief pilot. For flight in excess of 12 hours, we need to include 2 relief pilots. Relief pilots generally sit in the flight deck for departure and arrival to give a hand when needed. So that is the reason you see "many heads" in 747-400s... unless maybe operating a flight between LHR and LGW...
xxx
You might see only 2 heads with a 737 or 757 around in UK, obviously these are short flights. An extra pilot might be a pilot deadheading and being there for "social" reasons, or a check pilot to observe the cockpit crew.
xxx
Myself, when doing personal travel, I visit "the boys" up-front, and stay with them to help and add my two eyes for traffic on departure and arrival... In cruise, I go relax in the cabin and taste the paté de foie gras, the lobster and wine and cognac, and discuss with the cabin crew "how tough" life is with the airlines nowadays... and yes, I might wear jeans and T-shirt, no uniform is required to go to a Brasil beach...
xxx
And, 10 months to go for retirement...
:)
Happy contrails

darrylj
26th Jan 2008, 18:55
many thanks for that indeed.
appreciate the good explanation there.

it was just too that when i book staff travel, i wanted to sit on up there during the flight if i could somehow but hey,...those were the days.
:rolleyes:

thank you so much again.

BelArgUSA
26th Jan 2008, 19:22
Well, Darryl -
xxx
Staff travel... sitting up-front with us... no problem in Argentina even today...
Wear an airline ID conspicuously, and ask the purser for a cockpit visit.
Passengers dont get nervous (provided you appear "official").
Except with European and North American airlines, of course.
I probably will say "stay with us for takeoff, come back for landing"...
xxx
In the old days... all little old ladies scared of flying, or enthusiasts were welcome...
Believe me, with PR like that, I fostered many airline careers of young kids.
Putting them in the LHS at 35,000 feet, with my hat and earphones for a picture.
My son as an example... he is now a Learjet co-pilot, age 18...
And in a few years, maybe will be a 737 F/O...
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

darrylj
29th Jan 2008, 13:57
thanks.
well i ain't got no chance at LHR....:=

:p