PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of wireless keyboard/mouse?

Brewster Buffalo
25th Jan 2008, 19:55
Alright if you've got a 50" TV as your monitor I can see the point of a wireless keyboard but otherwise just seems like something more to go wrong.

I am looking at a new desktop system and wireless mouse/keyboard are included.

Somebody persuade me they are worth having... I say Keep It Simple..

Parapunter
25th Jan 2008, 20:28
I say you're right & I'm typing this on mywirls kybord. Smtng wrng wth thr fking ting...

BusyB
25th Jan 2008, 21:14
You always need a backup wired mouse in case you have cause to reset up your bluetooth.:)

hellsbrink
25th Jan 2008, 23:32
Make sure that your PC speakers are not in "line of sight" of the keboard/mouse and reciver as magnets in the speakers can interfere with the signal from the mouse/keyboard. I found that out the hard way, took me ages to figure out what was going wrong.

I don't mind wireless mice/keyboard, cuts down the spaghetti

Keef
26th Jan 2008, 00:01
I've got a couple of wireless keyboards and mice in the cupboard. They came with PCs and have never been used. I still use my veteran MS Natural Keyboard with the home PC.

I suppose if you want the keyboard on your lap while watching TV, they aren't a bad idea. At a desk, once the wire's tidied away, the wired versions have a lot of advantages. I particularly like the fact that batteries don't run out at the wrong time, and I can have indicator lamps on the keyboard.

Tarq57
26th Jan 2008, 05:28
Had a problem with the wireless mouse/keyboard combo. Mouse meandered, stopped periodically, then raced to catch up. KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKeyboard tended to rrrrrrrun on a bit at times. PPPause at others.
Found an excellent compromise in a wired keyboard/wireless mouse combo.
You generally don't move the keyboard much.
Dislike corded mouse with nasty little tuggy tail.

On the other hand, they do like to eat batteries, and always seem to get hungry when you're in the middle of something important.

Background Noise
26th Jan 2008, 08:09
I have the wireless (bluetooth) keyboard and mouse with my imac and they are very convenient - no wires to clutter up the desk (it's just cluttered with other stuff!) and they can easily be moved out of the way etc.

Disadvantages (probably similar for PCs) are that the keyboard is bigger than the wired version as it has to accommodate batteries and does not have any usb ports which many wired keyboards do and which are very useful, and the mouse is heavier than a battery-free model. Been going 6 months, keyboard is down to half battery power, mouse batts have been swapped twice.

Agree with Tarq - would have a wired KB and wireless mouse.

Blues&twos
26th Jan 2008, 19:22
I use a wireless set up at home and at work - I spend a lot of my time developing software.

At work, having a wireless k/b is good, as I can clear it out of the way without having to unplug - useful if I need to unfold & look at an electrical drawing for example. I occasionally sit back a bit and plonk the k/b on my lap, but not often....and I could theoretically do this with a wired one.

However, that's the only advantage I've found so far! Wireless mice are a pain in the backside as they regularly need batteries changing (unless you have a rechargeable) - when my mouse ran out of juice a few months ago I substituted a USB mouse and have ignored the wireless one ever since, without noticing.

Flybywyre
26th Jan 2008, 20:38
Somebody persuade me they are worth having... I say Keep It Simple
Using a wireless keyboard and mouse is keeping it simple

Brewster Buffalo
27th Jan 2008, 17:27
Using a wireless keyboard and mouse is keeping it simpleNot in my opinion as there is more to go wrong - loss or disruption of signal - batteries running out at critical times..

Thanks all for the posts - I'd say the verdict you can do without the wireless stuff..

Flybywyre
27th Jan 2008, 17:48
Not in my opinion............
Exactly. How can you have a proper opinion about it unless you have tried it ?
I have NEVER had any of the problems that you mention, although I am aware of a few friends that have had some of those problems, but it was easily overcome.
Most people do not get any problems whatsoever and you will find that wireless is the norm.
Are you still using Windows 98 ?

Dee747
27th Jan 2008, 18:54
Got to agree with Flybywyre - I've been using a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse set for over three years without a hitch. Two good 'gold and black' AA batteries in each last for months (and I always keep a reasonable stock of same in the house anyway for all number of devices).

The receiver unit is plugged into a Belkin KVM switch allowing me to operate the one wireless keyboard and mouse and my 17" TFT between up to four PCs if I need to. This arrangement keeps my study neat and tidy when I'm repairing or installing new software on other PCs besides my own personal one.

I hate cables trailing unnecessarily across my work space, and would unhesitatingly recommend going wireless - provided it's with good reputable hardware, and not something cheap and nasty, which will undoubtedly give you the sort of issues mentioned in previous posts.

Brewster Buffalo
28th Jan 2008, 18:57
OK I'll rephrase the question -

what are the advantages of wireless?

two fewer wires

and thats it so far...unless someone out there knows different

WALSue
28th Jan 2008, 20:39
I've got ye olde MS wireless mouse and keyboard. Great till the batteries go, then its completly dead with no prior warning.
And you know how it is trying to find a couple of charged batteries!

But no, apart from lack of wires no real advantage really.

Duckbutt
28th Jan 2008, 20:40
OK I'll rephrase the question -

what are the advantages of wireless?

two fewer wires

Exactly so, two fewer wires trailing across the workspace on my desk to obstruct and irritate. I have a cheapo Belkin wireless keyboard and mouse which work very well and find that on average the AAA batteries in the (heavily used) mouse last about three months. I get plenty of warning that they will need changing imminently through the pointer starting to react more sluggishly.

Tarq57
28th Jan 2008, 21:00
To me, advantage is the mouse doesn't tug back. Glides and moves unfettered. (Flew a 172 once that had a corroded elevator servo spring. Apart from being impossible to trim properly the noise when the airspeed change eventually overpowered the servo was, at first, alarming. Decided from that moment on "no corded mice for me, thanks." )
OK, abstract analogy.
A cordless keyboard is easier to move around come desk cleaning time.
Weighed against battery changes are a minor inconvenience.
Aside from that, I guess its down to preference.

Flybywyre
29th Jan 2008, 12:28
I purchased a Microsoft "intellitype pro" keyboard and mouse that I saw on special offer in Maplins on the 17th July 2007.
Neither keyboard nor mouse uses the rechargeable batteries but standard AA & AAA alkaline batteries. Same batteries are in situ and a quick check of the power levels indicate "good".
I can't think of anything I dislike about wireless K & M, no wires, faultless performance and excellent battery life on a system that is used and left on everyday.
Went a step further just before Christmas and bought a wireless router, brilliant!
I am able to lie in bed with my laptop and simultaneously listen to the radio (streaming), surf the web and print a word document without any problem whatsoever.
There is no way back once you have tasted the freedom that wireless gives you, a bit like broadband and dial up.
I thought it would be fun to demonstrate the flexibility that the wireless router gives you so I am typing this on my laptop whilst sitting on the loo in the process of getting rid of a few pounds in weight :8 :ok:
Regards
FBW

Saab Dastard
29th Jan 2008, 15:47
I thought it would be fun to demonstrate the flexibility that the wireless router gives you so I am typing this on my laptop whilst sitting on the loo in the process of getting rid of a few pounds in weight

An example of TMI - "too much information"! :eek:

SD