PDA

View Full Version : You might've died today...

Farrell
25th Jan 2008, 11:42
You were in your uniform. With your stripes still on the shoulders. :rolleyes:

White Toyota Yaris.

Coming through the Ghala Roundabout, probably going to MQ.

My guess is that you drove home not having a clue how close you came to being cut to pieces by my jeep when you rolled through the junction looking neither left nor right.

Why?

Because you were on your f****** mobile!!!!!!

earlyNFF
25th Jan 2008, 12:53
and where approximately did this happen, in your desert?

divingduck
25th Jan 2008, 17:44
Must have been police or army....no self respecting pilot would be seen dead in a Yaris.....would they?:E

This would, sans doubt, be the thriving metropolis that is Muscat.:eek:

DukePhantom
25th Jan 2008, 18:08
I think what Farell meant was,

He was coming from work, obviously with his uniform.

a Yaris, out of no where, came infront of Farell and was almost rammed and killed by Farell's Jeep.

Looks like who ever was in the Yaris was on the mobile phone ...

How was my explanation Farell? :) more or less accurate?

baob2oba
25th Jan 2008, 18:34
There's a gadget you might like...

Modern cell phone jammers now operates on 3 bands including GSM. It costs a few dozens of euros in europe and doesn't look bigger than a regular cell phone, just an antenna and a button for a simple model. It won't ease the situation here, but at least you will have a good laugh when you see those :mad: yelling in their cell wondering what's going on. Used in continuous mode, it will provide a quite large and safe enveloppe around your car but you will be jammed as well... Bikers in France use it on highways and city streets, any bike shop in Paris will sell it to you...:E
Even easier if you fly to the UK, it's legal to own there. :}

Fox3snapshot
25th Jan 2008, 18:40
Gotta get me wunna them!!! Will be my mission on the next Europe trip!!! :ok:

Fox3snapshot
25th Jan 2008, 18:46
it will be handy in the cinema too!!!! :}

baob2oba
25th Jan 2008, 18:47
:E..............

ennui
25th Jan 2008, 22:45
When will these fools realise!

Statistics in developed countries (read first world) overwhelmingly prove that driving while using a mobile phone is the same as driving while over the legal alcoholic limit (.08 where I come from).

Always something I think of when I drive here; treat the majority of other road users as being pissed....let em go and watch them crash!

divingduck
26th Jan 2008, 01:03
I think what Farell meant was,

He was coming from work, obviously with his uniform.

a Yaris, out of no where, came infront of Farell and was almost rammed and killed by Farell's Jeep.

Looks like who ever was in the Yaris was on the mobile phone ...

Nooooo, really, you think?

This is sadly something that happens on an hourly basis over this side of the border to...the only difference here is that the car that is about to take you out is a bl00dy site bigger than a Yaris with blacked out windows.:ugh:

Farrell
26th Jan 2008, 03:02
Not military or ROP.....this was a civilian jockey.

Completely oblivious to how close he came and we are talking millimetres here.

Nice stripes though....bet it really impresses the guys at the petrol station.

Saw another one in City Centre a while ago in the full regalia. I was very tempted to walk up and tell him that there was some shoplifters in Borders!

Quokka
26th Jan 2008, 12:25
Just buy a bigger 4x4... like mine...

As three Indian gentlemen found out... anyone who tries something stupid just bounces off... no-one hurt and hardly a scratch on my car... shame about their car though... :E

surely not
26th Jan 2008, 17:12
The standard of driving is at times frighteningly poor, and driving whilst using a mobile has been shown to be a sizeable distraction. Wearing your work clothes however rarely affects your driving :}

I do not understand why for some on here a pilot is expected to change before driving to and from work. So what if they have their bars still on their epaulettes? I wear a suit and tie to work, and I wear them whilst travelling to and from work for convenience.

The guy was a pillock for not concentrating on his driving and nearly killing someone, but I don't think the bars on his shoulders had any bearing on this!!

Fart Master
27th Jan 2008, 05:22
Never gauge a persons level of common sense by his choice of career:bored:

ThreadBaron
27th Jan 2008, 16:19
Just buy a bigger 4x4... like mine...Bigger than a Kia Sportage ... your kidding, surely.:}

Still, Farrell, your original Echo might not have done so well.:hmm:

Gulfstreamaviator
28th Jan 2008, 01:48
Yesterday on drive to airport, I was behind a convoy of explosives, 20 "trucks "with police/army outriders.
Down a long stretch the rear outriders call us thru, half way down, a big mother came up behind me, and flashed to suggest I should move over.....being in full dress uniform, I did.
The the police got upset, as I had broken up the convoy.

The remainder of the idiots zoomed past, on pnones, oir just half asleap.
The front outrider, waved and made suitable signals to us, to pull onto the hard shoulder, forcing the convoy to take evasive action.

I do not know the class of explosives, but the bang would have been quite impressive. My flight path would have been slightly different than filed.!!!!!

Big sign on side of trucks saying no cell phones, but nothing about no idiots.

glf

ps it rained a lot yesterday, what are the idiots like in the rain.....

was 311 really in deep water recently too.

bluepacific
28th Jan 2008, 05:49
Hey Farrell,
Just coz he was wearing stripes doesn't mean he's a pilot, in Oman every one wears stripes, could have been ground staff.
Maybe his coffee was getting cold at Starbucks in MQ. Either way I know what you mean. Its annoying driving around in the sandpits.
:rolleyes:
BP

NG_Kaptain
28th Jan 2008, 11:39
Back to the jammers. How big are they, small enough for the cinema or restaurant? I really want one, does anybody have info?

surely not
28th Jan 2008, 14:40
Someone ought to market one called the 'Bob Marley'

cos its jammin, its jammin

Farrell
29th Jan 2008, 17:15
Threadbaron - neh neh! I got change out of 8000 rials for my Sportage thank you!
Jesus! The Echo! I had buried that memory! "Welcome to Oman. Here's the executive level car we promised you. Good luck....and ehhh watch the roundabout as you exit the airport." ....... I miss the roundabout. Has anyone else seen the shambles that is the "airport flyover"?
High speed on-ramp ending up with........a set of traffic lights and a hard left! They have already scraped a few off the opposite wall.

Bluepacific - he was definitely a jockey. I know the ground ops guys. Minty green shirts and nasty shoes!

The Yaris was listing to the left as well due to the Breitling and the phone! :E

baob2oba
29th Jan 2008, 21:45
Regarding the jammers, entry models not bigger than a cell phone. Expect 15-20m radius.

JoeCo
30th Jan 2008, 04:47
The only problem I see about the jammers is that when the offending driver had coverage at least there was a portion of his attention on driving. (DO NOT read that as being A LOT of attention, I said a portion of his attention, probable less then 1% i'd suspect) Now, all of a sudden, they come within your zone of non-coverage due to your fancy new jammer and i'd suspect ALL of their attention will then be focussed on the phone wondering how they lost the signal and trying to reconnect the dropped call. I'm wonder if this might create more problems??

Now, as for the movie theatre, I'LL TAKE ONE!!

Nuuk
11th Mar 2008, 18:31
On the Abu Dhabi-Dubai road today. Looks like accidents rates are following inflation.

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Traffic_and_Transport/10196597.html

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle.asp?xfile=data/theuae/2008/March/theuae_March346.xml&section=theuae

chandlers dad
17th Mar 2008, 14:00
Does anyone have a name or where someone can get one of these jammers?