PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus to sellout to Ryanair

Ontheairwaves
28th Sep 2001, 22:22
Heard on the grapevine that Mary and Aer Lingus officials are in talks for the past day or so looking to MOL & Co. for a possible buyout or merger......
Trouble is will the shamrock be gone for good??? :confused:

Locolito
28th Sep 2001, 22:39
This really would be a great deal, I think. It would give EI the stability it needs to continue operations aswell as using MOL's well known talent for profit making. Ryanair would almost certainly benefit in uses of the terminal etc. etc. I see no reason why MOL would get rid of the EI logo and colours as it is such a strong brand name. But i really can't see Aer Lingus the low fares airline....

BRgds,
Loco.

Idunno
28th Sep 2001, 22:56
Folks there is so much crap, **** stirring, speculation (call it what you will) flying around the airport these days its impossible to know who or what to believe.

Personally I think MOL might like a few of the a/c (the 73's) but not the rest of the operation.

Think about it...he has always put it down to the fact that the commonal fleet type is one of the main reasons for their success. Can you see him wanting to operate the BAe14sicks?? Didn't think so. Then what about the A330s? The Governments prime concern will be to maintain an Atlantic fleet...Ireland lives on tourism. So, MOL gonna have Airbusses as well as a full service TA route? No, didn't think so.

If he just wants the 73's all he has to do is bide his time...they'll fall into his lap eventually for a song.

If by some incredible circumstance he did end up running the place...the Aer Lingus brand name wouldn't mean a damn to MOL because the first thing he (or any sane business man) would do is go in with the knife in the Head Office Block and excise about 2,500 paper pushers and hangers on. Can't run an airline like this one has been, and full service airlines is what the brand was about...that is definitely out the window under MOL.

By the way...you all might have read that the 50+ cadets in training were the first to be fired by ALT management, closely followed by a few hundred cabin crew. So the first (and so far only) stasff to get it in the neck are the Flt.Ops. people...the ones who actually generate a product, rather than just more paper. They did the same thing last time (mid '90s) and left the bloated HOB staff bureaucracy in tact to drag us down again.

This hasn't been lost on the crews, I can tell you that.

Idunno
28th Sep 2001, 23:10
Oh, hang on. I just saw who opened this thread.
Ontheairwaves is a known **** -taker and anti ALT ****-stirrer...so I guess we can put this one firmly under the ****-stirring heading.

The Guvnor
28th Sep 2001, 23:20
FR taking over EI would be like WN taking over AA - it would never happen!! :rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

MarkD
29th Sep 2001, 00:34
It's amazing really the kind of kites you see being flown. MOL wouldn't do a favour like that for Govt short of being sold Baldonnel for a pound :D

I can't help but feel that some of that's gone on has been strange -

EI choosing to reduce/not accept A32x for one thing, rather than 734,

BA giving EI a boost on LON-SNN/LON-ORK for OneWorld traffic. [Actually that's just me p!ssed of as I preferred BA to LGW over "peanut and orange juice air". As long as BRAL ORK-GLA isn't canned :eek:

I would have thought an ideal structure for EI:

A330 transatlantic
A321/A320/A319/A318 european

734 and 146 sold, RE to (continue to) become EI's BRAL instead of the nonsense of EI Commuter.

I would have thought Toulouse ready to cut their throat on A318-319 considering the number of 737s FR say are on offer out there, plus you get that whole fleet commonality thing beloved of Jet Blue, FR and now Ansett!

pistrauss
29th Sep 2001, 01:49
What about FUTURA? (Aer Lingus owned) with 13 737s . Intersting for FR?

Ellion
29th Sep 2001, 05:34
MO'l running Aer Lingus would be like asking Osama to run the free world. I'm afraid too say that as efficient as MO'L has been at making money for THE ryans, he also knows why he made it. MO'L has never had to deal with a workforce of substance or backbone.
Ryanair own nothing, all the money is hidden in front companies, and when things turn too mud these business men will not be around, but moving on to their next project.
My money is on Aer Lingus being profitable and in existance ten years from now and the Ryanair lot become 'when we's'

Idunno
29th Sep 2001, 05:38
I guess that's you well and truly dissed (again) mr.ontheairwaves. :D :p

airbourne
29th Sep 2001, 08:11
I never laughed so much. What a stupid rumour to come from the 'grapevine' Its never gonna happen in our lifetime for all of the above reasons. I coulnt see the premier types running for a seat in the 'free seating' Ryanair

Mind you its was a good story after a hard days work!!

Bearcat
29th Sep 2001, 20:10
Mark D, those 73s that you talk of being canned is dream. They are the work horse of the AL op doing short/ med and charters, lower landing fees that the buses and are way less on financing. Wtch this space for their fleet plans when the new cx arrives sooner than later. Me thinks the 73s will be around a long time .thats if their operation survives. In respect to FR .what a load of cods wallop! M O'L would touch AL with a forty foot pole!

Ontheairwaves
29th Sep 2001, 21:15
I DUNNO
mmmm so i'm a "well-known ****-stirrer eh?
never heard that one but coming from someone as intellectual as yourself(not!!!) i'll take that as a compliment.
I have friends in ALT on the 5th floor in the
HOB....and that's what i heard....
the fact that you believe that MOL would like some of the 737's in the ALT speaks volumes for the thread.
Perhaps he's just looking for part of the ALT fleet and not the whole company and ALT may be looking to flog off the 737's so you never know... :D :D :D :cool:

CAT MAN
29th Sep 2001, 22:03
"ONTHEAIRWAVES"...Your contributions above while amusing are about as useful as posts made by the similar "411A" who lurks in these forums from time to time...

The facts will wash out soon enough, share prices in European airline stock,will cotinue downward driven only by uncertainty.

In fairness to MOL,comments made recently are good for business,However the underlying reality is this... MOLS business is not a global player...Yield people and the company's cost accountants must disparage tactics disparate to the Company's strategy or at least I thought it had one...

Maxfli
29th Sep 2001, 23:12
Inhabitants of the 5th floor don't have any friends

Idunno
30th Sep 2001, 01:01
mmmm so i'm a "well-known ****-stirrer eh?

Yes you certainly are my son.

This is the guy who started a thread 4 months ago on this BB where he badmouthed an ALT A330 crew who gave him a jumpseat! People in this business have long memories...you better remember that, and even more so now.

The fact that he claims to have 'friends' on the 5th floor says it all.

Tosser.

TwoDeadDogs
30th Sep 2001, 15:31
Hi all
Idunno,it may come as a complete surprise to you but forms of airline life such as (Temporary)check-in staff,loaders and handlers and (potentially full-time)apprentices have also been given the shove from EI,not to mention all the contract staff in the IT sections.The cadets and the apprentices have the best chance of getting new employment.As for the rest?
regards,from a position of not knowing if I have a job or not.
TDD

Ontheairwaves
30th Sep 2001, 22:16
I DUNNO
just let me clarify one thing for the record
I wasn't bad mouthing the A330 crew it was a B734 crew from LHR and what got up my nose was the snotty cadet with 2 stripes in the right seat asking me "when was i going to come home and get a real job flying for ALT"
when i was already an F/O for UAL ex Denver on the same type......
The Captain was a really nice guy and i appreciated his hospitality but just not the smug attitude from the F/O....
Back then i was told why don't i have a sense of humour.
Now, Mr. IDUNNO ....IF you are going to have any memory please remember the FACTS.....or are you just ****-stirring yourself??????

The thread i had then was about ALT hiring non nationals...and in no way was abusing the Captain that so kindly gave me the lift home.....so i guess that's you put back in your box .....with your bunny :cool: ;)

SkyClear
1st Oct 2001, 21:16
This is all very amusing to read, but becoming a bit like a school play ground!

This is, after all, a forum for rumours and if people cannot respond to it that way, then you all sound as bad as each other.

Those people who are getting aggresive towards you, 'Ontheairwaves', obviously have taken this way below the belt and it makes me wonder why.

For the record, I agree with others, that it is an unlikely situation to arise, although I have heard this rumour away from PPrune over the last week.