PDA

View Full Version : Googlesyndication hanging IE6

IO540
25th Jan 2008, 09:36
Whenever the googlesyndication URL appears on the bottom of the
browser, the browser hangs solid - popping up Task Manager shows it
"not responding".

I don't know why the delay of 1-5 seconds; maybe it is slow DNS somewhere.

I suspect this sort of thing is caused by advertising feeds. A google on 'googlesyndication' reveals quite a lot - I found this script

>>
>> // ==UserScript==
>>
>> // @name Google syndication frames (ver. 0.0.1)
>>
>> // @namespace http://larytet.sf.net/myscripts
>>
>> // @description remove all Google ads from all websites
>>
>> // @include *
>>
>> // ==/UserScript==
>>
>>
>> var allFrames, frame, frameSrc;
>>
>> // discover all <frame> tags
>> allFrames = document.evaluate('//iframe', document, null,
>> XPathResult.UNORDERED_NODE_SNAPSHOT_TYPE, null);
>> for (var i = 0; i < allFrames.snapshotLength; i++)
>> {
>> frame = allFrames.snapshotItem(i);
>>
>> frameSource = frame.src;
>> if (frameSource.indexOf("google") != -1)
>> {
>> frame.parentNode.removeChild(frame);
>> GM_log("frame = "+frameSource+" removed");
>> }
>> }
>>

which looks fun but I can't see any way to run it in IE6.

Saab Dastard
25th Jan 2008, 09:47
IO,

I can log in to pprune on FF and IE6, both as a mod and a "normal" user without experiencing any problems. I can see the google ads (or not) as appropriate.

I suspect that if there were a generic problem we would be swamped with complaints.

There may be a plug-in or configuration setting in your IE6 that is throwing a wobbly.

Try a different browser for testing - you might get to like it more than IE6!

SD

green granite
25th Jan 2008, 12:22
If you use FireFox and install NoScript into it as an add on, you can ban google syndication and be reasonably advert free. :ok:

IO540
25th Jan 2008, 15:02
OK, I am now on Firefox. How does one install Noscript??

green granite
25th Jan 2008, 15:39
Go to <tools> ,add ons> in the bottom right of the popup window click on "get extensions", this will take you to thr download page. If you scroll down to
"popular extentions" you will see NoScript listed there, click on it and follow instructions.

IO540
25th Jan 2008, 16:09
It's very good isn't it :) Thank you! I did have Firefox but v1.0 :) Even without the add-on it runs the googlesyndication stuff much faster. Some things work differently though. Re-opening a message on pprune for editing doesn't display the attributes executed; it displays them as HTML. In the messages section, when one clicks on one of the checkboxes which select all the week's messages (for e.g. deletion) multiple selection fails to do anything.

green granite
25th Jan 2008, 17:00
Re-opening a message on pprune for editing doesn't display the attributes executed; it displays them as HTML. In the messages section, when one clicks on one of the checkboxes which select all the week's messages (for e.g. deletion) multiple selection fails to do anything.

With NoScript I find that you need to "allow" the site that you are on, i.e. if you click on the S at the bottom while in pprune, click on allow pprune.org, but leave the google stuff blocked, or if you want to see it for any reason click "temporaly allow". It can be a pain at times till you get used to it.

Keef
25th Jan 2008, 17:26
I just got in from helping my good Swedish friend Hans sort out some stuff on his PC. I showed him Noscript on his XP desktop, and he reckons it's brilliant. I left him installing it on his Vista laptop.

I've been using it for so long I'd forgotten what a mess things look without it.

I'm amazed to hear you use IE6, IO540. I've been a 100% Firefoxer ever since I moved on from Mozilla. IE went the way of all flesh a very long time ago.

Sadly, the Firefox offering for Windows Mobile devices doesn't hack it. I'm learning Opera for the pocket device: it works well, but with one bug - it hangs for ten seconds or so every so often.

bnt
25th Jan 2008, 17:57
With NoScript I find that you need to "allow" the site that you are on, i.e. if you click on the S at the bottom while in pprune, click on allow pprune.org, but leave the google stuff blocked, or if you want to see it for any reason click "temporaly allow". It can be a pain at times till you get used to it.
In NoScript Options, you can turn on the option to "Temporarily Allow top-level sites by default", at varying levels - I normally allow "Base 2nd-level domain" level.

This means that scripts hosted on the site you went to will run, but 3rd-party scripts are blocked, which I find to be a good compromise. You get the scripts that the site itself needs, but no syndication or tracker scripts - but this assumes that you practice "safe surfing" in the first place, and don't actively surf to dodgy sites. :=

stickyb
27th Jan 2008, 14:44
There seems to be a major problem with googlesyndication and IE6, in that if the link to the googlesyndication site is slow it seems to hang up ie for up to 10secs a go. I cured it by using the hosts file to redirect to 127.0.0.1, now i just have fast response and blank spaces where the ads would have been

IO540
3rd Feb 2008, 05:51
The above is exactly what I am getting.

Anyway, following the advice here I have now been using Firefox for a few days and I am getting to like it. It does have some strange artefacts in editing text in text boxes like this one but it works far better on the whole, and I especially like the way one can save a bunch of bookmarks and open them all in one go.

Stickyb: how do you set up a hosts file? Years ago, in the good ole days of NT4, I used to put entries in the LMHOSTS file, but can't remember why or indeed if this was necessary.

Thank you all.

Saab Dastard
3rd Feb 2008, 11:53
IO,

The hosts file is in C: \windows\system32\drivers\etc. Note that it is a text file with no extension.

Entries are in the form IP address hostname

e.g. 127.0.0.1 localhost

Open with notepad, add the required name and address. Save and close.

SD

IO540
4th Feb 2008, 08:57
What entry would you put in to get rid of googlesyndication? I think you may have 1 digit too many above?

Saab Dastard
4th Feb 2008, 12:16
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

No harm to add pagead1 & 3 (if they exist)!

I tried it with just 127.0.0.1 googlesyndication.com, but this only works when resolving the domain name, not the hostname.

SD