PDA

View Full Version : Onyl Third of Helicopters Fit For War

ORAC
25th Jan 2008, 07:57
Thought they might have understood who owned them by now though. So the government claim of "anything they need" means "key tasks" does it?

Torygraph: Third of Army helicopters fit for the front-line (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=NB1HBVYO4HMVZQFIQMGSFF4AVCBQWIV0?xml=/news/2008/01/25/nheli125.xml)

Only a third of military helicopters are fit for front-line duty, seriously hampering operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, figures have shown. The lives of soldiers, reliant on helicopters for medical evacuation in Helmand province, are being further put at risk by a 10 per cent shortfall in air crews.

The Tories, who obtained the figures from the Ministry of Defence, blamed Gordon Brown for the problems because he presided over a £1.4 billion cut in spending on helicopters when he was Chancellor.

Dozens of helicopters have had to be cannibalised in order to keep frontline aircraft flying. The figures show out of a fleet of 40 Chinook transporters, only 17 are "fit for purpose", while 20 out of 60 new Merlin work properly and only 25 Apache attack helicopters are functioning - almost a third of the total.

Liam Fox, the shadow defence secretary, said the shortage was sure to impact on capabilities in Afghanistan and Iraq. "When I visited troops in Helmand Province, in November, it became clear there was a shortage of Apaches and Chinooks to support troops on the ground," he added.

Col Bob Stewart, the former British commander in Bosnia, said the lack of basic equipment "translates into greater casualties". "If you cannot move people by air it means they have to travel by road which leads to a proportionate increase in the dangers faced," he added.

The MoD said commanders in Iraq and Afghanistan had enough helicopters to do "key tasks" although "with more they could do more".

mutleyfour
25th Jan 2008, 08:21
10 per cent shortfall in air crews

And yet the majority have had FRI removed as we are supposedly over manned! Well that was the reason given to me when I asked why we had lost it.

The Helpful Stacker
25th Jan 2008, 08:29
Third of Army helicopters fit for the front-line

And of the three types of helicopter mentioned in the article only one (or a third if you like) are Army helicopters.

Its like Op Banner reporting all over again.:ugh:

Climebear
25th Jan 2008, 08:59
HS

Technically the Chinooks and Merlin HC3s do belong to the Army as they are part of JHC which is part of LAND. Therefore, the ac (and 3 RAF Stns) now sit on LAND's asset register. Isn't it nice of LAND to allow us to paint Royal Air Force on the side of their helicopters that our people kindly fly and maintain!

Life used to be so simple in the old days!

StopStart
25th Jan 2008, 10:34
Engineering and spares supply. It's a lack of these that's crippling us here in sunny Wilts and I'll bet it's just the same for the rotary community. When the RAF eventually wake up to this fact we might start seeing some changes but in the meantime we'll just blunder on ever deeper in the morass....

As for aircrew shortages, we're just about getting the bums on seats so that's keeping their bluntships happy. Sadly though I know of at least one sqn that has (flt cdrs aside) no second tourist captains. Genius. Trouble is, when you pay people to leave at their 16/38 point it's a non brainer for them. FRI? No money for those. I can guarantee you they're cheaper than another smoking hole in the desert though.

Fools :ugh:

Been There...
25th Jan 2008, 12:29
As for aircrew shortages, we're just about getting the bums on seats so that's keeping their bluntships happy. Sadly though I know of at least one sqn that has (flt cdrs aside) no second tourist captains. Genius. Trouble is, when you pay people to leave at their 16/38 point it's a non brainer for them. FRI? No money for those. I can guarantee you they're cheaper than another smoking hole in the desert though!!

I remember raising said issue about C-130 dilution of experience to an MOD 1 star while doing my FSC at Bentley Priory in 2000 and was told it wasn't a problem as all the captains had been in the right hand seat and therefore captaincy was their second tour on type.

Aaaarrggghhh!!

Pilot Pacifier
25th Jan 2008, 17:11
And you think that is restricted to the AAC? How many SH aircraft are fit for front line duty? Why do the same cabs keep getting rotated through the sandpit? Hold on, let me guess...

minigundiplomat
25th Jan 2008, 17:17
None of this is news to the rotary community. As for the 10% shortfall in aircrew, it is about to get far, far worse. Noone is planning to sign on.

Hypothetically, if there was a flight of 30, and 20 were first tourists or LCR, would that worry anyone?

Howabout if 8 out of the remaining 10 were due out in the nest 2-3 years and dead set on leaving ?

Worries the cr@p out of me, and Im going!

HeliAviator
25th Jan 2008, 17:26
No mention of the Junglie Sea King Mk4's and their crew's currently doing sterling work in "The Stan". :=

minigundiplomat
25th Jan 2008, 17:29
No mention of the Junglie Sea King Mk4's and their crew's currently doing sterling work in "The Stan

heli - I agree, a sad ommission, but they are relatively new to the Stan.

FRAG7
25th Jan 2008, 18:49
Dare I say it, yes why not.
Last man out turn the light off, better still get 'Swiss Tony' to do it.