PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts about this wireless problem?

vancouv
25th Jan 2008, 07:03
Yesterday I started my desktop PC, and it failed to connect to my wireless router automatically as it normally does. There were no error messages, but after startup a box appeared saying there are wireless networks in range.

Mine was one, but when I tried to connect it wanted all the security gubbins, so it seems it has lost the definition it used to use to connect.

The wireless itself is fine as my laptop connects OK on startup. The only thing I did change was a new wireless mouse (it had a wireless mouse before) but I can't see why that would affect the network connections.

Anyone got any ideas on why it has lost the default connection? I can probably get round it by redefining the connection, but I don't like things happening that I don't understand.

twiggs
25th Jan 2008, 08:21
Is your wireless adapter USB? If so and your mouse is, sounds like you have plugged into a different USB port and Windows has detected the adapter as new and reinstalled.
Go to Network connections and see if your Wireless Network Connection has a different number now. (eg before it was Wireless Network Connection and now it is Wireless Network Connection 2)

vancouv
25th Jan 2008, 10:13
twiggs - fantastic diagnosis! - that's exactly what's happened - I did swap the the mouse and the adaptor round as it was physically easier that way. I didn't realise that which port you used was significant for USB devices.

Does that mean if I swap them back it will work OK? Or has it now been messed up permanantly?

Saab Dastard
25th Jan 2008, 11:34
If you set up the wifi connection correctly on the 2nd USB port, you should then be able to plug it into either, and the settings should be maintained.

Note that "should" is one of the most over-worked words in IT!

SD

twiggs
25th Jan 2008, 12:18
I think if you just return the adapter to it's original USB port it will just reinstall and add another number to your adapter.
You could try using system restore with the USB adapter in it's original USB port to a time before you connected the new mouse, then connect the mouse in a different USB port.
If it makes you feel any better, on my laptop I am up to Wireless Network Connection 34!

vancouv
25th Jan 2008, 17:25
Well, I swapped the mouse and adaptor back to their original ports and it worked perfectly - no need to reconfigure. Thanks for the help.