PDA

View Full Version : SAA man apologises for racial blunder

PPLightie
25th Jan 2008, 05:47
SAA man apologises for blunder

January 25 2008 at 07:09AM

A South African Airways senior manager has apologised to his staff after sending out an email saying "non-white" individuals had to be given preference for overtime and extra training.

Zak Liyaqat-Ali, the airline's manager for avionics and in-flight entertainment, said his managers had been made aware of the email after he sent out an apology.

He said the initial email had been intended to lead to a balance in the "ratio of full-complement (cabin crew)".

"My request was not extraordinary. I needed to address the unfairness (of overtime allocation)."

In his email, to six supervisors, Liyaqat-Ali instructed that "in regards to overtime, kindly ensure that if there (are) any non-white individuals, they must be accommodated first".

Clive Else, SAA's chief executive for technical operations, said that Liyaqat-Ali had sent out his first email at 8am on Wednesday and had apologised several hours later for the wording.

He had replaced it on Thursday with an email that made it clear that the intention was to allocate overtime work equitably in the department, Else said.

Last year, SAA's chief executive, Khaya Ngqula, said that the carrier was to axe 1 000 jobs across all sections because of high operating costs.

AVSEC
25th Jan 2008, 07:44
damn,that was insensitive.This is what gives non africans a stereotype not deserved by ignorant chaps like this one making such gaffes.

spacedaddy
25th Jan 2008, 07:58
Avsec,
Non-Africans are people that are not citizens of an african country.
Blacks are blacks
whites are white
coloureds are just that, etc., etc.
To refer to whites as non-africans makes you as ignorant as "they" are.
Engage your brain before typing. Your apology is accepted.
sd

johan_jnb
25th Jan 2008, 10:45
yip... the racist card works both ways...:hmm:

AVSEC
25th Jan 2008, 16:24
space daddy,the comment was directed at stereotypes of non africans,and did not make any reference to colour.
you had to go there because colour was on YOUR mind not mine matey.
so think,because this ignorance malaise seems to be catching up with you when you type so fast.
No apologies intended aiiight?

jnignon
26th Jan 2008, 05:14
well said avsec

spacedaddy
26th Jan 2008, 08:03
AVSEC
If I misunderstood, my apologies but don't do the colour thing with me. I'm white and my wife is black. I think I understand it better than most.
sd

B Sousa
26th Jan 2008, 19:49
To refer to whites as non-africans makes you as ignorant as "they" are.

Sort of jumping the gun there. I think you may start to find thats how whites are pretty much considered in the "New" South Africa. At least by those running the show.