PDA

View Full Version : Harrier at Cottesmore, 1600 today.

Al R
24th Jan 2008, 22:23
Not very good, but I was out walking, looks like we both shared the sun at the end of the day.

Not much point though, in providing zebra crossings if the locals don't bother with 'em.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott132a.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott176a.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott146d.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott168a.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott164a.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott098c.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/cott137a.jpg

Jetscream 32
24th Jan 2008, 22:30
two hare - iers and harrier with two hairy arse's - sir...! :}:}:}:}:D

Bob Viking
25th Jan 2008, 10:32
I can only echo AIDU's sentiment:

WHAT?!

BV:bored:

Roland Pulfrew
25th Jan 2008, 10:37
can only echo AIDU's sentiment:

WHAT?!

BV

I am not surprised AIDU missed it, but BV I thought you were more observant! 1st picture. 2 small furry creatures!! :rolleyes:

Al R - just out of interest, what camera and lens were you using? The shot of the cockpit as the Harrier is pointing away from you is very atmospheric :D

Bob Viking
25th Jan 2008, 10:58
I saw the rabbits alright.
Just didn't get his particular brand of humour!
Maybe it's just the end of a long and boring week and my humour supply has been exhausted!
BV:)

Gainesy
25th Jan 2008, 11:24
That ramp looks damn steep though.:uhoh:

Bob Viking
25th Jan 2008, 15:17
Would it be funny to say "what ramp?!"
BV;)

OCCWMF
25th Jan 2008, 16:05
Looks like someone called for a hare-strike.:ouch:

Coat.

Al R
25th Jan 2008, 16:57
Bob,

I found a simple solution. :ok:

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n239/thrust_01/AIDU.jpg

Roland,

It was a Canon 400D with a cheapie medium zoom telephoto lens. It was getting dark, but I kept the ASA and shutter speed as low as poss to keep it warm. Normally, cars are my thing.. aeroplanes are a completely different proposition.

El Mirador
26th Jan 2008, 06:27
Ahh great Pictures...My dog had permission to hunt rabbits and chase hares when there was no flying at Cottesmore. He loved that runway, Best rabbiting he had in all his life!

MrBunker
26th Jan 2008, 07:37
Saw it in the hover, setting sun at it's back as I drove down the A1 this afternoon. Very nice indeed. Sadly, driving precluded photography

Lossie23
26th Jan 2008, 08:17
Nice sunset there for your pics

Roland Pulfrew
26th Jan 2008, 10:08
My dog had permission to hunt rabbits and chase hares

El M. But of course you couldn't do that now, could you? Hunting with hounds has been outlawed by Noo Lairbour!! ;) :E

El Mirador
26th Jan 2008, 13:11
Not illegal as rabbits are o.k....Hares can not be hunted but since my dog was 86KG, little chance of him bagging one...He managed to bag one however prior to the ban and a fox....Unfortunately said hound bagged his last on 29th August 2007 as went to the great airfield in the sky.

RNGrommits
26th Jan 2008, 13:37
Two points.
1. I have never seen as many hares in my life as I do working here at Cott. We have recently had a little bit of a cull (Shotguns and stuff. Very unsporting). But there seems to still be millions of the little blighters. I personally blame Bill Odie.
2. These phots look like they were taken from beyond the fence in the field at the 22 end, which must be all of 20yds away from the threshold. It is outside the wire so is not a security issue. We always have plenty of sad weirdies with cameras sat in that field. I am thinking of retiring and opening a burger bar in a clapped out runway caravan there. I'll make a mint.

Al R
26th Jan 2008, 13:55
RNG said: .. we always have plenty of sad weirdies with cameras sat in that field.

:hmm:

Yeah.. losers.

El Mirador
26th Jan 2008, 14:06
As long as you didn't shoot them at night !

HPPILOT
26th Jan 2008, 14:59
Without support of said 'sad weirdies' you may become one of the great unwashed. Don't forget friends can come from strange places.

The Sad Weirdies behind fences, also pay stupid amounts of entrance fees to airshows to give some of you lads an excuse for a bit of flying and a p1ss-up at weekend.

They are not all sad, they could just be proud of some of you !

glad rag
26th Jan 2008, 16:29
You may be interested to know that the Common Hare population is reviving due to the greatly reduced use of pesticides by the farming community.

It may also be true that the use of RAF Attack dogs, men with guns in suits of many colours all operating with the designated aim of keeping your (supposedly dark blue) hide safe from Leicester's Mullahs, may well have created a sanctuary zone for the Hare from illegal trapping and illegal coursing.

All true country sportsmen respect the hare and are more than happy to carry out efficient and humane control. Did you know the hare is the only game species that can actually scream when wounded. Do you care??????

And the freaks have every right to watch their tax ££'s.

Have a nice day etc.

Glad Rag.

forget
26th Jan 2008, 16:55
RNGrommets, Would you indulge me in a little guessing game – but you do have to reply honestly. You said - ‘We always have plenty of sad weirdies with cameras sat in that field’. You also say you ‘work’ at Cottesmore.

Now - here’s my guess. You actually have sod all to do with aircraft and if you accidentally got close enough to touch one you’d be yelled at.

Am I warm – hot – spot on ? Come on, be honest. :)

El Mirador
26th Jan 2008, 17:17
Glad rag

It was not an RAF dog....It was my dog. Rabbits also scream.
Don't you worry your little head though....if you know much about the hare....you will know that 86KG of dog does n't stand a hope in hell! The one he dispatched was probably ill or aged. PREBAN!!!!

Il Duce
26th Jan 2008, 18:06
Grommit does work at Cottesmore with the aeroplanes........... but making "mint" burgers? Disgusting.

anotherthing
26th Jan 2008, 18:29
Forget,

The man you question is more than capable of speaking up for himself, but as he probably has better things to do on a Saturday night (unlike sad old me) may I be so bold as to answer for him.

You are very, very cold.

RNGrommits - a burger van? Don't eat all the profits :}

forget
26th Jan 2008, 18:41
anotherthing. You are very, very cold.

Having checked Grommets profile/previous postings I'd say that I was spot on. :)

The point I was making is that 'real' aircraft people never ever see spotters as 'sad weirdies'.

anotherthing
26th Jan 2008, 18:52
His profile states his name and says that he is in the UK... how the hell can that make you think you are spot on in your assumptions?!!!!

You may have checked his profile/read other posts by him, but as I know him and used to work with him, I know you are very cold.

Nuff said about that, though I do think his comment about spotters would seem a tad harsh if you don't know him.

The point I was making is that 'real' aircraft people never ever see spotters as 'sad weirdies'.

As a real aircraft person myself (at least I think I am... be interested to hear what you think makes someone a 'real' aircraft person), I think that quite a few of the spotters are very weird and I am far from alone in that assumption.

Note I say quite a few, because not all are weird, but quite a few are.... I mean FFS, how 'normal' is it to get a book, with the registration of every aircraft in the world once a year, then go through it crossing off the ones you've marked in the old list as having seen?:ugh:

glad rag
26th Jan 2008, 19:15
Rabbits are not classed as game.
The reply was not directed at either you or your heavyweight (now in canine valhalla).
Believe me once heard never, never forgotten. Rifles only for me.

rgds

Glad Rag

El Mirador
26th Jan 2008, 19:37
My apologies Glad rag...If rabbits are anything to go by....I can imagine Hares screaming would be quite haunting. The one my dog caught was silent. He dispatched it quickly but it put up a poor fight. A hare in full flight could leave him for dust.
Dog was 37 iches at the shoulder and totally muscled. A heavyweight indeed but no fatty! ( not that you implied it , just some people can't visualise it)

flipflopman RB199
26th Jan 2008, 19:52
As someone who also works at Cottesmore, I'm on Forget's side.

I find that there are plenty of "Sad Weirdies" in the Royal Naval Strike Wing hangar, who claim to 'work on' aircraft, but in reality, actually just create work for those that actually do work on aircraft :E

Flipflopman

TwoDeadDogs
26th Jan 2008, 22:17
Hello all
First of all, the pictures are lovely.Second, as someone who was a spotter as a mere yoof and then grew out of it and got a job, fixing aircraft for a living,(I wanted to be inside the fence, not outside) I know that there are weirdos in the spotting game, just as there are in any other pursuit.I have always found it hard to understand why members of the spotting community don't make the effort to get into aviation, either by becoming pilots (civvie or military, PPL or CPL) or become mechs or become ATCOs or get a job in Ops or work on the ramp in a service capacity or even built one at home thru the LAA or go and fly a microlight..in other words, do anything except stare thru binoculars or jot down yet another reg or stand at the end of runways in the freezing cold.When I ask them, they always make excuses.Some are genuine; bad eyesight or gammy leg or scurvy or somesuch but, for the lovvajezus, there are ways and means if you want it hard enough.The next spotter who tells me he couldn't afford to fly, whilst listening to an expensive radio, staring thru expensive binoculars or telling all and sundry about his spotting holidays is going to get a toe up the hole.In my twenty years in the industry, I have met every emotion, from aviation workers, about spotters, from simple bemusement to outright contempt.The ones that provoke me the most, by the way, are the ones at Fly-Ins who trot up and down the flight line reading the regs and S/Ns into dictaphones, with scarcely a glance at the aircraft.
regards
TDD

BEagle
27th Jan 2008, 07:20
Ah, but what about those who try to take photos through hangar office windows at 'Battle of Britain' days (or whatever the Thought Police require them to be termed these days).

Mind you, the lads at one RAF base were wise to this - and produced a splendid spoof chart showing the 'Sidewinder Programme' for the type they worked on. All sorts of spoof dates and notes - and able to be seen through the window. Several 'step ladder folk' were seen excitedly scribbling things into their notebooks!

blimey
27th Jan 2008, 10:04
Sad weirdies? Not really; just enthusiasts and obsessives who enjoy looking, photographing or simply logging aircraft details. All part of life's rich tapestry.

blimey
(enjoying a very mellow Sunday morning :cool:)

Visual06
27th Jan 2008, 21:59
Note I say quite a few, because not all are weird, but quite a few are.... I mean FFS, how 'normal' is it to get a book, with the registration of every aircraft in the world once a year, then go through it crossing off the ones you've marked in the old list as having seen?:ugh:

there are computer programs out now that stop all this crossing off every year thing :ok:

there are spotters and there are photographers, both are hobbies and theres no harm in either as far as I'm concerned :rolleyes:

clicker
27th Jan 2008, 22:31
I have been taking photo's of aircraft for over 30 years now and for a while worked within the airline business but I moved away from that after being made redundent.

One of the reasons for my work side being dumped was that it was quite annoying to be at Gatwick and seeing something I wanted to photograph but not being able to get anywhere near it because of work commitments.

At least now when I go to an airfield I can chase what I want without fear of being constrained by work.

As for weirdos, yes some are, but you get them in all walks of life.

noprobs
28th Jan 2008, 10:50
There was once a Board of Inquiry in which the evidence given by spotters was very useful. The quality varied, but they saw the accident from many viewpoints.

At one extreme was the wife of the spotter, who was sitting knitting in the car until hubbie exclaimed "F***, look at that!" She did, and was able to describe what she saw in detail, but in domestic terms: the aircraft hit the big vertical blind at the end of the runway (= the barrier); there was a bang and a rectangular metal thing flew out of the aircraft and landed next to her - it was the size of a small fridge, but black (= the ejection seat).

The other end of the scale was the spotter who saw the crash, figured out the diversion airfield for the others still airborne, went there to see the recovery and the departures the next day, and testified accurately about details regarding both the accident aircraft and those at the other airfield.

There's often more to these people than just a long lens. If you work at an airfield where they gather, just try going and chatting to them every so often. It's good PR for the Service (whichever you belong to) and they may be useful to you one day.

The spotter I can't forgive was the one that sent me a rear view of myself climbing into the aircraft, showing me for the first time the advance of what one Chief Tech later described as my "Prince Charles toupé."

kwachon
28th Jan 2008, 11:03
No weirder than some of the pilot wannabe's who write on this forum about things they know nothing of. :}

goudie
28th Jan 2008, 12:16
How come a thread starts by depicting some beautiful shots of a Harrier becomes an attack on so called weirdos. Who qualifies as being a wierdo anyway?

old-timer
28th Jan 2008, 19:57
Rabbit Squadron airborne :-)

(oops, I slipped into 'piece of cake' nostalgia mode there)

:)

Alt' : bunnys trained to watch the wing tips maybe - saves Mod £££££

jumpseater
28th Jan 2008, 22:58
there are spotters and there are photographers, both are hobbies and theres no harm in either

What about people who photograph spots though? Now they are really weird:uhoh:

MudRat_02
29th Jan 2008, 12:35
Great shots of the Harrier! I was over in the UK for the first time a few months ago and hoped i'd see one - no luck! I did see a Typhoon and the red arrows though, cool stuff. All I see in my neighborhood is the aging (but not to say unloved or without character!) F111, very occasionally an F/A-18 Hornet. Maybe I should line up at the runway like a 'weirdie' and get some shots of my own ;)

cornish-stormrider
29th Jan 2008, 13:41
While spotters to the many ain't cool, how much would you wager the sign every petition that comes their way in support of the forces......?

How many kid spotters ended up joining the mob......??

how much did they help with funds for getting the Delta Lady back in the air?

GPMG
29th Jan 2008, 13:51
Oh cripes, I went to last years Duxford Flying Legends show.....am I now classed as a beardy wierdy spotter?? I even bought a model of a Stuka!!!!
Time to but a notepad, pair of Bino's and little radio so I can hear the pilots and stalk them :)

Al R
29th Jan 2008, 14:12
When I was in (yes, I know) and a lot younger, I had a slightly scathing attitude towards some civvies.. you know the thing; wannabees etc. But here's the thing. No genuine aviation enthusiast in the RAF (in my experience) has ever had a go at spotters, and certainly no aircrew. When I was standing at 22 the other day and the chap in the back flipped me a wave, he may well have been thinking 'loser', but I doubt it. Because the one thing that spotters and fliers share, is a love of the sky, and aeroplanes. It doesn't matter that one can fly and the other can't.. the common thread is still there. As a country, we are all too ready to be cynical and to sneer at people who don't fit 'the norm'.

When I go rallying, photogs are part of the scene, because they're condensed, they all go to the same places together and they have identity. If someone climbs a mountain and takes a stunning fot similar to those we see here on the low fly routes, his skills (rightly) get praised to the heavens. Perhaps its because Billy No Mates outside the wire on his own cuts a slightly lonely figure, that he's easy to deride. Either way, its silly, pointless and reflects worse on the person having a go, than the subject of the mockery. I enjoy walking, and I enjoy photography. I'm old and fat and wear glasses so I do neither particularly well. But I'm contented enough thank you. :ok:

goudie
29th Jan 2008, 15:35
Hear Hear! AI R

HPPILOT
29th Jan 2008, 18:55
I know this is moving the thread on a little too far from Harriers, but I know Aviation photographers who have sat above the Machy loop all day to get shots of just 2 or 3 aircraft. Their patience rewarded when they are searched out by aircrew for copies of their photos, is that sad? no way.

I admit, taking numbers down appears a waste of time but the photography could just be earning the guy the cash to improve his gear by selling on www.Airliners.net (http://www.Airliners.net). What seems a poor subject for a shot may be another mans dream shot.
I remember years ago at Woodford airrshow, getting new kit on the back of a poor Autogyro pilot crashing his craft into the runway. The papers could'nt get enough of the photos for a few days, and whilst at Church Fenton my photos of a Hawk pilot who decided to do a wheels up landing were very quickly taken for the investigation. I did not even get replacement film for that roll.

I think the other posts show that most uniform lads do understand why people stand at fences for hours on end, they are not sad, they are just keen to taste the avgas and enjoy the efforts of professionals.

Keep it up lads

Phil_R
29th Jan 2008, 19:08
I have been in my life to exactly one airshow, where I spent a couple of hours squinting into the sun and concluded that the only person who was having any fun was about 1,000ft over my head.

kwachon
29th Jan 2008, 19:47
Never been an avid spotter, but I must say, when flying in RVSM airspace, it is amazing how close a 747 or 340 looks when on a reciprocal heading, one day I intend to take some pics but so far have been too intent checking the altitude and TCAS.
I really need to give my co-pilot more stick time!!

I say good luck to the spotters, better that than a drunken or drugged up yobbo kicking the crap out of an innocent person.

Anyway, here's one of me recently passing through Malta on the way to Casablanca

Cheers

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg8/kwachon/me.jpg

SammySu
29th Jan 2008, 20:00
Al R - I was sitting in the front of 107. I wasn't thinking "loser". I was thinking about the photos I took in 1987 as a Lightning pilot waved at me, when I was stood by the crash gate at Binbrook. ;)

stickmonkeytamer
29th Jan 2008, 20:13
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/ohed3red.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/13ahov13red.jpg
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/001lowfine1filtered3.jpg

I suppose I'm a spotter as well then... I like to capture images that no-one else can for posterity. The RAF come to me for photos! They've been used in the RAF books and publications- Mumsie is very proud!

SMT

forget
29th Jan 2008, 20:21
I suppose I'm a spotter as well then...

That's the point I was making back in Post 25. If you fix 'em or fly 'em - you're really a spotter at heart - you just don't write down the numbers.:)

PS. SMT, That SHAR shot is special. Where were you standing. ;)

Al R
29th Jan 2008, 20:51
Sammy,

Is 107 the jet in the shots? Good man - glad you are living your dream. I e-mailed those shots to someone who has a son who is a 15 year old space cadet. He wants to fly so much, it hurts. I'm chuffed that you were once that lad you looked and had a dream, and who got there. And who knows? In 2028, there'll be some lad tugging at his flying gloves and giving the instruments one last scan, who once was inspired by seeing you too.

I did a tour on 1(F) when it had its own Rockery, almost 20 years ago. I was fortunate enough to get a few flights and I consider myself lucky and more than contented enough with that. I controlled a few of the guys over Bosnia a little later, and I was damned proud of 'em and that I suppose, makes me fond of the Harrier. Harriers would invariably come in that little bit lower, make that little extra effort whenever the vis was a bit crappy, and whenever 'hard left' was screamed.. well, we got hard left.

I can't be done with the airshow thing and a good spotting sesh usually coincides with a good long walk. I'm not a fin number ticker.. its the spirit of the thing that I enjoy, and I get a great deal of pleasure out of just gazing at any fighter flown as (I imagine) its supposed to be flown, or even how its cared for. Its an indefinable and beautiful thing, and people far more eloquent than me have failed to capture the essence of it all. Perhaps the essence of it only needs to be captured by people who don't do it.

Take it easy, thanks for the reply. And watch out for the hares next time you heartless b:mad:stard.

Al.

Stitchbitch
29th Jan 2008, 22:25
Stickmonkeytrainer..I'd wager it was 'goofers' or above '1 charlie', but the memory gets old and fuzzy (as does my spelling). All I remember is the two deck dash and that I almost got the guys to afterflight their own kit.

"Jointery only goes so far..":}

Amazing how many SHAR pilots wanted us to look after their SE.:ok:

Sammysu your not short and ex LBH perchance?:E

eagle 86
30th Jan 2008, 01:53
Al R
During my time of perusing PPrune posts I've determined that there are a number of correspondents that are very sad, small-minded d1ckheads who regularly post inane cr@p seemingly to get perverse joy at attempted p1ss-taking.
Almost everyday my job dictates that I land literally in peoples' backyards - I've heard every possible question many times over but my company would take a very dim view of me if it was reported back that I had been anything but polite to the people whose backyard I borrowed.
It takes all types and some of the most ignorant lurk amongst the pages of PPrune!!
Ignore them and enjoy your hobby. I most certainly believe the backseater's wave was genuine.
GAGS
E86

GPMG
30th Jan 2008, 08:59
Anyway pilots are the biggest Spotters as they go through the most effort and time just to get near an aircraft and they do it just so they can get a thrill out of doing so.....how sad :) :)

Green Flash
30th Jan 2008, 09:21
Sammysu your not short and ex LBH perchance?

Thanks SB, the penny has just dropped! If it's the same man then the last time I met him was down the back of a C-17.

What did you think of the F-16 departure Ss?!:eek::E:ok:

SMT - superb phot of the SHAR:ok:

WhiteOvies
30th Jan 2008, 11:30
Being a bit of a spotter just makes the day job more enjoyable! It also makes you look up and smile every time you hear a jet overhead rather than phone in a low flying complaint.
I guess it all depends on the level of spotting you indulge in - from watching and photographing to collecting side numbers or getting signatures at air shows. Its a hobby and people without hobbies tend to be very dull people. There may be people out there who others would consider weird but if it doesn't hurt anyone and they enjoy it what's the problem?

It was an interest in aviation that led me into my current job (not too far away from yourself Al R) and being involved in the display team is perhaps as good as it gets as a closet spotter ;)

SMT - If that's one of the passes I think it was my guess would be either on the deck edge or on the top of the ramp....

XL319
31st Jan 2008, 09:12
Well i agree with Eagle....

TEEEJ
31st Jan 2008, 18:27
SMT,

Cracking shot of the SHAR. Very mean and moody with that sea backdrop.

TJ

Eagle402
31st Jan 2008, 22:47
SMT,

Outstanding pix - thanks for posting them and keep safe.

Eagle402

stickmonkeytamer
1st Feb 2008, 06:00
Thanks for the feedback- want to see some more?

SMT

Pops556
1st Feb 2008, 06:48
I must be a weirdy beardy too then; only I repaint these kites to share in FS 2004 et al. 'Sad' perhaps to some... (I'll get me anorak:hmm:)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/VAAC1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/OCU2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/20sqn2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/C130JASDF.jpg

Al R
1st Feb 2008, 07:45
Hi Pops, welcome.

Let me get this right. You create and 'paint' an aeroplane which can then be programmed in for use in Flight Sim games? Do you start from scratch or do you adapt an existing image?

SMT,

I'd love to see some more if thats ok. They were brilliant.

Eagle402
1st Feb 2008, 10:02
SMT,

Affirm re more pix!

Thanks,

Eagle402.

TEEEJ
1st Feb 2008, 10:25
SMT,

Yes, please post some more. I'll post a couple of recent GR.9s from the low-level routes later on.

Pops,

Welcome. Nice work!

TJ

stickmonkeytamer
1st Feb 2008, 15:03
http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/4SHIPred.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/zh797storm1.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/za168lstyredlvl.jpg

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee29/STICKMONKEYTAMER/zh796aaa1red.jpg

Glad you liked the others, I hope that these are of interest...

I've had the 4ship photo painted in oils. Mrs SMT won't let me hang it in the living-room though...

SMT

TEEEJ
1st Feb 2008, 15:18
SMT,

Cracking set. Thanks for posting!

TJ

Pops556
1st Feb 2008, 17:52
Al R. I do the 'relatively' easy bit in repainting models for MS Flightsim. The hard work is done by the modellers. There's a whole army of people who upload this stuff as freeware for folk who enjoy FS9 and FSX. Flightsim.com is one such site where folk can upload for others to aquire. I am a member of a freeware group called UKMIL. We're a mixed bunch of serving and civvy types. We've released virtual UK and US aircraft and UK flying stations like Cottesmore. take a look and see what you think. Links and photos below, plus a film from another site of what can be achieved in online multiplayer here: http://www.simteevee.com/watch.php?mdid=405

http://www.ukmil.org.uk/news.php
http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?HtsqL05L=main/forum.htm
http://www7.plala.or.jp/minakata/FS/ (This chap is a genius repainter and my adopted mentor)

This first screenshot is of a Hunter 'painted' by a UKMIL member and shown flying in MS FS9.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/HunterScreenshot4.jpg

This is one of my repaints with the UKMIL Cottesmore as a background...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview2.jpg

I love repainting the JASDF F15's..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview9.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview7.jpg

And these are done by my 'Mentor' called POM in Japan...pure genius...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/agr083_top.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/agr083_1.jpg

And finally another Herc and a few of our harrier repaints...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview10.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview1-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview4-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v639/daveulke/zview6.jpg

TEEEJ
1st Feb 2008, 19:43
AI R,

Lovely pics made all the better by that lovely golden light.

Pops,

Thanks for the links and images. The JASDF F-15s have had some stunning paint schemes over the years.

Some low-level Harrier pics from the last few months.

15 Jan 08 - Harrier GR.9A - Serial ZD380 - Cad Pass (Talyllyn Pass) - Wales

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/9923a396.jpg

15 Jan 08 - Harrier GR.7A - Serial ZG471 - Cad Pass (Talyllyn Pass) - Wales

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/ffb61e47.jpg

11 Dec 07 - Harrier GR.9 - Serial ZG480 - Thirlmere - Lake District

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/8f6972de.jpg

11 Dec 07 - Harrier GR.9 - Serial ZG480 - Thirlmere - Lake District

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/d92b500c.jpg

On the subject of waves from friendly crew. Wave from the rear of a Hawk.

16 Jan 08 - Hawk T.1A - Serial XX189 - Cad Pass (Talyllyn Pass) - Wales

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/84fb0731.jpg

Cheers

TJ

Pops556
1st Feb 2008, 20:05
stunning photos! My respects:D

Al R
3rd Feb 2008, 09:45
TEEJ,

As usual, brilliant shots. My cackhanded efforts are amateurish by comparison. Can I ask you a question.. one that involves your motivation? Why do you do it? Is photography the means to an end, or is it the end itself? Do you like hillwalking too? Why do you shoot from the same position? I know m'sports snappers who are the same - they'll take the same bend everytime, because they know how the car will approach, how it'll move, the line that it'll take and because its going to be a dead cert money earner. Are you the same because you are cataloging as many shots of as many aeroplanes in the same place, are you endlessly seeking 'that' perfect shot, are you always comparing your shots with your contemporaries, are you always practising and improving or do you 'just' enjoy the satisfaction of the repetition of getting it right every single time? Do you ever shoot elsewhere? I am fascinated and impressed beyond belief by your work, and I'm not being at all snooty or dismissive. I won't be offended if you ignore me or tell me to mind my own business - sometimes hobbies don't need explaining or justifying. :ok:

Pops,

Thanks for your reply - I had no idea that this hobby existed, although I suppose it had to. I imagine that Gran Turismo has similar afficiendos. That Herc in particular, in your first post, had me doing a double take. I take my hat off to you. I'm surprised that there hasn't been a commercial application. A company like Virgin would probably gladly pay an enthusiast to do a corporate version of MS FS. When they wanted to buy Concorde (or said that they did), a virally marketed freeware version of MS FS with a Concorde in Virgin colours would have been fantastic for them, and so cheap to do. Does anyone do this?

Finally, with regards to that low level Hawk shot, I thought that visors were worn down at low level in the event of bird strike? Sorry for the dullard question, and perhaps the guy in the front does have his/her visor down and perhaps I'm just blind.

Pops556
3rd Feb 2008, 11:28
The first Herc shot is a repaint of the JASDF Komatsu airbase type commemorating one of their Sqn's 40th anniversary.

They sell a commercial version of 'fat Albert' (amongst other gorgeous aircraft) but the majority of the repaints (also hosted on their site) are by amateurs like me. Mind you, their paint shop pro files really help make the repainting process a doddle. the Herc by Captainsim was also released for off the shelf purchase and included a very realistic, virtual RAF Lyneham. There's no end of addons to the MS FS9/FSX experience which folk like me will spend on to play with at home. I'm in the mob but with feet firmly grounded. I only get to fly on the occasional aeromed evacuation. I've had a single back seater in a Jag trainer which was awesome. Transiting down Loch Ness at something like 250ft off the water was unforgettable...:)

The group I normally paint for do it all for free.

TEEEJ
3rd Feb 2008, 13:51
Thanks for the comments.

AI R,

No probs. I never had the time whilst serving in the RAF to check-out the low-fly routes. Since retiring last year I've now got the time on my hands to do so. Being badly colour-blind I never got a chance to work with aircraft in any capacity.

My passion has always been aviation, photography and hillwalking, so now combining all three works out quite well! I grew up in Scotland and used to marvel at all the aircraft flying at low-level whilst I was roaming the hills in the early 80s. Really amazing to see Tonkas, Buccs and F-111s from high vantage points, but never quite close enough to capture them on film with the equipment I had back then.

I only started the low-level snapping last summer, so I'm still working my way around the routes and vantage points. I started off in Wales and recently checked out a few positions in the Lake District. For myself the Mach Loop in Wales provides the traffic and the up-close vantage points. The entrance to the Talyllyn Pass is amazing for close-up shots and currently my favourite location. For me it is capturing that moment in time. I just like to turn up and wait for whatever heads for my chosen location. You never know what is going to come around the corner!

The light and weather conditions provide an interesting challenge too. If I can get light and vapour then I'm a happy bunny! What the aircraft do is also an interesting challenge in itself. From that initial detection things move fast. You clock one aircraft and think has he got a wingman? Can I get both aircraft with terrain in the same shot? Are the condition right for vapour? Will it just be a flash of vapour gone in a second along the spine or will it last longer? Will the aircraft bank or just fly straight through? Has a cloud just taken away that light, etc? All part of the challenge in capturing that moment in time for me.

As a low-level snapper I'm always chuffed if a crew or passenger requests a copy of one of my images. That moment in time might be a half-decent snap of a piece of hardware in my opinion, but when you put the human factor into it, it becomes a different perspective.

RNGrommits
28th Feb 2008, 17:42
Its been weeks since I looked at this thread and had no idea I had caused such a commotion. The "weirdy" comment was meant very much tongue in cheek! (Unless you do count standing in a farmers field for hours on end in all weathers a little bit strange!)

Everyone who works with aircraft in whatever field has to have a bit of a spotter in them - it's what keeps the job interesting and what normally manifests as a bit of professional pride!

The low-level over the oggin Sea Harrier picture is fantastic. I've spent ages leaning over the edges of a CVS and have come no-where close to getting such a good shot.
Karls sunset harriers are also very good and as I leave Cott v.soon & am unlikely to return, I may have to contact him for one or two (& yes, they will go on the wall!).

TEEEJ
9th Mar 2008, 19:31
Well done Corporal Steve Cambers.

'Plane Spotters help protect RAF Base'

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EstateAndEnvironment/PlaneSpottersHelpProtectRafBase.htm

TJ

Riskman
9th Mar 2008, 22:19
This has been the most enjoyable thread I've read since joining Prune. The artistry is breathyaking. Well done to all, and keep spotting!:ok:

TEEEJ
9th Mar 2008, 22:40
February saw some great light at RAF Coningsby.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/9fcb4382.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/a3e3c48d.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/385a2a4d.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/3b93adda.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/10880912.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/09fceacf.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/76dfacfb.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/8c419f47.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/7895f051.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/ba769ac1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/fca8a61c.jpg

TEEEJ
9th Mar 2008, 22:43
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/33111857.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/8bb52fca.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/691b93dd.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/29e6c9d3.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/e98f8dc9.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/749dc02a.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/55d97170.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/d8761239.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/fd3b122c.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/60db924a.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/ca17e461.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/162412b1.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h261/TOMMYJO/6e883280.jpg

TJ

glad rag
9th Mar 2008, 23:02
..interesting asymmetric loads; who was the joker giving the spotters the loser handsign, after all we've been through here?:(

TEEEJ
10th Mar 2008, 09:13
Glad Rag,
That would be the "Shaka" in pic 3. A friendship greeting gesture. Possibly a U.S. pilot? I know of at least one U.S. pilot on Typhoons at Coningsby.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaka_sign

Duckandcover
10th Mar 2008, 09:57
The last two of that Typhoon selection are the best in my humble opinion TEEEJ.

Al R
20th Oct 2010, 07:33
A couple of days ago, one flew lowish over Oakham and I thought little of it. Now though, sites like some of these will soon be a thing of the past. Just as we have Lighnting and Bucc misty eyed threads; in 2020, I'm sure we'll be seeing Harrier ones.

I've always looked on Harrier with huge affection and as being more than just a bunch of metal and wires and wiggly amps. It was unique, ungainly, typically British, persevered with and it has done us proud (and it has helped me out once or twice too).

Have they stopped flying with immediate effect? If so, its a sad day. As limited as my experiences with it are as, I can only sympathise with how those who have spent an entire career with it, might be feeling. I'm not sure what John F (sp?) might be thinking today, he must have the biggest snapshot of all.

Big Sy
20th Oct 2010, 07:41
Will they be keeping one on for display's ?

Flap62
20th Oct 2010, 07:50
Will they be keeping one on for display's ?

Almost certainly. Any spares for it will be hand carved by little pixies from unobtanium and as there will no longer be any demineralised water available it will use unicorn tears. The simulator and ocu will be kept open so that the display pilot can do his annual and six monthly checks but will have no other function.

Yanchik
20th Oct 2010, 10:10
I see that Flap 62 has insider knowledge of Harrier series production...

But sad to relate, Kingston was closed by 1994, the Unicorn was put out to Richmond Common, and a few of the pixies that could tolerate the pastoral conditions went down to The Farm. If you watch Top Gear, sometimes you'll see something vanish quickly from the corner of the frame that just might... no - try taking a bit more water with it...

Well, you're reliant on whippet droppings and the Midwest from here on.

"What's the difference between a Pegasus and a Harrier Pilot ?
The Pegasus stops whining when it's been shut down."

Good to see the young Sharkey keeping the tradition alive. Speak up by all means: you're in a fine tradition, that "joke" was old when I first heard it fifteen years back.

Sad times.

Y

Easy Street
20th Oct 2010, 11:12
What are the Harrier crews going to do over the next few months? The run-down to retirement of an aircraft is a risk period from a supervisory point of view and I presume that it's only worth keeping flying to keep the pilots current for further training... but on what? Typhoon/GR4 (enough slots available - probably not?) or F/A-18 with the USN?

Trim Stab
20th Oct 2010, 12:01
What are the Harrier crews going to do over the next few months? The run-down to retirement of an aircraft is a risk period from a supervisory point of view and I presume that it's only worth keeping flying to keep the pilots current for further training... but on what? Typhoon/GR4 (enough slots available - probably not?) or F/A-18 with the USN?

I'm surprised there will even be a run-down period. As you say, historically run-down periods have occasionally lead to accidents, and six months loss of currency is surely not a big deal if going to a new type anyway.

Wrathmonk
20th Oct 2010, 13:30
What are the Harrier crews going to do over the next few months?

I suspect the RAF pilots, certainly at flt lt and below, will be fed into the Typhoon OCU. The next CO of Coningsby, and therefore Typhoon Force Commander, just happens to be ex-Harriers (see last entry in ARAL 07/10 (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/seniorappts.cfm)). I tell you, it's all a conspiracy and part of the grand scheme to get rid of FW FAA :E

SiteIII
21st Oct 2010, 20:41
TeeJ

like you, i never had the time to indulge in a hobby whilst in the service. However, new skills to be learned with not only the hardware but software plus the enjoyment of seeing you can capture "that" image.

I've yet to capture "that" image but it won't stop me trying. The fact i may be 300' up CAD West or wherever in the Loop or the lakes just makes it more interesting.

for the guys in the front and back a friendly wave or thumbs up is always appreciated and rarely goes unoticed. I'm sure we'd be more than happy to share the results of our efforts showing the results of yours (Both air and ground crews)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4109/5065272079_6ab7ce7a79_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/54461833@N02/5065272079/)