PDA

View Full Version : New Users Spoiling PPRuNe

javelin
24th Jan 2008, 21:38
Call me an old cynic, but I cannot believe that PPRuNe has become so popular, so quickly, that all these people seem to be logged in all of a sudden overloading the server.

I can't recall when you saw a huge number of folk logged into individual forums.

BA 038 can't be that exciting, surely :ooh:

Is there some outside influence going on here ?

763 jock
24th Jan 2008, 21:41
Too much time at the Waterfront! Things have changed whilst you were away!

Junkflyer
24th Jan 2008, 21:47
The Air Disaster forum site took a dump-perhaps some have come over.

frostbite
25th Jan 2008, 11:35
You can't rely on the posted figure of users - try leaving the site, closing the browser and coming back about an hour later. The time shown for your last visit will be the same as when you first arrived an hour previously.

Meaning that the site has regarded you as being present during the hour's absence.

javelin
25th Jan 2008, 21:22
Damn, they moved me - I am disgusted - Ha !

This now turns into a conspiracy theory :E

763 Jock - the last time I - err saw a LBFM was 26 December - the antibiotics should be kicking in shortly :ooh:

TightSlot
25th Jan 2008, 21:37
The 777 accident did spike visitors - massively.

This was set against a background of increased volumes for the site that were already requiring the making of plans for server upgrades.

There are two kinds of PPRuNe reader - the registered kind that log-in and visitors that are read only. Visitors will often outnumber registered users at any given time.

I cannot offer timescales or even precise details, but can offer you the knowledge that plans are being progressed to improve the situation.

P.Pilcher
26th Jan 2008, 17:14
It seems to have got a lot better since it was down for maintenance the other day - or do I need to touch wood?

P.P.

W4LLACE
30th Jan 2008, 07:24
I am a new user - please tell me (and others) how we can refrain from 'spoiling' PPRuNe?

Happy to take advice!

I am here purely for research pourposes as learning to fly is a huge financial risk and I want to go in with my eyes open. I hope you guys are happy to assist. I also have great iinterest in planes, airlines, the technology as well as the political side of things so I feel this forum is ideal for me!

nosefirsteverytime
30th Jan 2008, 08:58
Settle down W4llace, PPRuNe is the victim of her own goodness. Good site, lots of people like it, they turn up.

I'm terribly biased (I'll have been here 7 years come Paddy's Day, God the time flies...) but I remember the good old days when Jet Blast was near-vitriol-less, and no one cared whether you were a pilot or not.

I pander for those days to return.

Newcomers are very welcome. We all were new here once. :ok:

As for advice, all I can say is "be nice"

No really....

Be nice. There's plenty of Daily Hatred readers out there, and the balance of sanity needs restoring :)

Radar66
30th Jan 2008, 09:39
There are two kinds of PPRuNe reader - the registered kind that log-in and visitors that are read only.

As Tight Slot referred to above, there is also the fact that one used to be able to read in at leisure without having to log in. Now (since a couple of months ago i believe?) you are only able to read a few posts before the requirement to log in comes up. I'm pretty sure that must also have an effect on the number of new members?

isi3000
30th Jan 2008, 20:09
I was wondering why after a while of being in one forum, pprune demands that i log in again when i want to switch forums :bored:

frostbite
30th Jan 2008, 21:30
Never had that problem. Are you blocking cookies?

PPRuNe Towers
30th Jan 2008, 21:42
That was a problem long ago - older version of IE was prone to it.

Try deleting every single cookie with the word PPRuNe in it.

Restart browser and log in again.

Rob