PDA

View Full Version : How To Move My I-tunes Files From a C Drive to a D Drive!!!

Sky_Captain
24th Jan 2008, 21:28
Can anybody answer this. Uploading music onto a friends ipod through their Sony Vaio Laptop, what I didn't realise is how the laptop is set up. The C Drive has only 20 GB capacity. After uploading 5 GB onto I-tunes I get the warning of low memory space. After looking through the laptop I see there is a D drive with another 20 GB capacity, none of which has been used.

So, how can I transfer some of the programme files or even I-tunes so I can continue to download music and not have to worry about memory problems on the laptop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS, if needs be I have a 60 GB portable hard drive, can all the music and I-tunes be transferred there but still run on the laptop for future downloads? Have no clue about that :uhoh:

Many Thanks

S.C. :ok:

MightyGem
24th Jan 2008, 23:19
Not sure how this works on a PC, but it does on a Mac. Locate the folder with your "iTunes Library" folder in it. Move the "iTunes Library" folder to the new drive. Create a shortcut for that folder and move it back to the original folder. Rename it "iTunes Library".

Now, when running iTunes, it looks in the original folder for "iTunes Library", runs it and gets directed to the new location.

ChickenLips
25th Jan 2008, 02:31
Or...

just move the itunes folder to where you want it (Drag and drop from C:/ to D:/)

then in Itunes preferences the new location

CL

Sky_Captain
25th Jan 2008, 10:46
Thanks for the reply guys. If I do drag and drop I-tunes first from C to D, I presume I then have to move all the associated music which is stored under "my music" into the D drive?

If that is correct, I then have to go into preferences, advanced, change the i-tunes music folder location??? If I do this, will I still have the link on the desktop or will that still be linked to it's original location in C?

Thanks again for the help.

S.C. :ugh:

kenhughes
25th Jan 2008, 13:12
how can I transfer some of the programme files or even I-tunes

Don't use the drag and drop method for your programme files though - the programmes will most likely stop working.

To move the programmes, uninstall them first, then reinstall them and specify the d: drive as the required location.

Ken

Sky_Captain
26th Jan 2008, 08:48
ken,

Thanks for the heads up there. So music files etc. are fine for drag and drop but not programme files. Do you know, since i-tunes is a programme file, if I uninstall it and download it again, will I be able to sync the new one with the current music I plan to move from the C to D drive?

At this stage, I might suggest a new laptop :rolleyes:

S.C. :ok:

MightyGem
26th Jan 2008, 16:00
All your music files should be in the "iTunes Library" if you do it as per my first post, there should be no need to move the actual application.