PDA

View Full Version : Is joining Cabin Crew a good way to gain sponsorship to be a pilot?

W4LLACE
24th Jan 2008, 19:25
As it says on the tin!

Like many jobs, the old foot in the door trick!!

Is it a good idea to do a good few years as cabin crew gaining experience and trust within a airline for them to consider sponsoring you to become a pilot for them?

Replies gratefully appreciated

atmosphere
24th Jan 2008, 19:31
That was my plan, however 5 years on, im still cabin crew!! the job is good fun, and I have enquired a lot with regard to getting sponsorship.

The Airline you work with as cabin crew will rarely sponser you! however they may be more inclined to take you on as a pilot once you have a type rating etc.

I have a seminar with CabAir coming up, with no help from said airline, but then I never expected it, I just hope I can go back there and work up the front!!

Enjoy

wiggy
24th Jan 2008, 19:45
Nope, atmosphere's got it about right.

Most airlines don't need to sponsor anyone these days, though of course that may change .

W4LLACE
24th Jan 2008, 19:54
Thanks very much

by the sounds of things im better gettin more acedemic stats

I Just Want To Fly
25th Jan 2008, 10:24
If you look into cadet programmes with CTC or Oxford Aviation, you may have a better chance to be sponsored by your airline.

atmosphere
25th Jan 2008, 11:09
W4LLACE

I attempted to reply to your message, however private messages cannot be sent to your profile!

However in short, the money as cabin crew within my airline is very good!

Perks are great, good bonus every year, share options and excellent staff travel.

Also the ability to talk to recently joining cadets from the likes of CTC is adventagous and they are all more than happy to help you out, I have received a lot of names and contacts. however I think the bottom line falls to your ability to pass the selection process with your flight school. My hope is that they see being cabin crew as a good first stepping stone to a seat at the front!

titmitch
29th Jan 2008, 09:36
Hi Wallace. I used to work as cabin crew and my love of flying grew from there. I would love to work at the front end. most pilots are more than willing to help if you do work as crew but are interested to fly!

Atmosphere - Can you PM me with info you have on sponsership. I tried to get a loan to fund my dream and unfortunately was declined 3 years ago. i was all set to start training money permitting and unfortunately the bank said no, otherwise i could have been flying 737's by now! Would really realy appreciate any info you have :ok:

W4LLACE
29th Jan 2008, 10:02
Thanks folks

My biggest burden will be the funding.

I think this is the road I am going to go down(please tell me if its not advisable):

I have a loan with 2 years left on it so in the next 2 years do a night class get more academic qualifications related to either the science,theory etc of flight (basically something to do with flying)

After the 2 years have the money to put myself through PPL hopefully getting Instructor rating (need more info on hrs needed and added cost) so someone else can pay for my hour building whilst I find funding for the ATPL or if very very lucky, my commitment and newly gained qualifactions and hopefully flight experience will sneak onto some sort of sponsorship deal with an airline.

Feedback much appreciated

VS-LHRCSA
29th Jan 2008, 10:47
Try a BSc in Aviation Management course at London Met, it includes some ATPL theory. They also do a pilot pathway course as well. Search Aviation Management on www.londonmet.ac.uk (http://www.londonmet.ac.uk). You will need to do your PPL inconjunction (allow £6000). For the actual course, you can get grants for in the same way most university courses are funded. It is do-able with a full time job, not ideal, but do-able if you have a job that includes shift work, flying as cabin crew is a good example. There are a few on the course.

I would advise joining a major like BA and, once you have your staff travel, do your PPL in Florida. If you were LGW crew, you could do this while down route by bidding for MCO. You will also be able to bid for time off for lessons.

The idea of being an instructor is a good one. The only drawbacks from what I can see are the competition and the pay.

W4LLACE
29th Jan 2008, 19:29
thank you very much that looks very attractive

i have heart the line - im in two minds

well im in ten minds HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!