PDA

View Full Version : undeclared HAZMAT

corsair303
7th Nov 2001, 23:43
i posted this same question on the "questions" forum. Im doing a term paper on the dangers of hazardous materials on airline flights. Ive got plenty of info on regs and company policies, mostly im interested in how pilots and businesses can confront the problem of people not declaring any hazmat their shipping

Ops Bangle
8th Nov 2001, 23:25
The company I am working with at the moment is a cargo carrier with turboprop eqpm. They operate a variety of flights including cargo scheduled services in the UK.
We often get undeclared DG, some with road-only documentation or some without any. Any cargo found is put to one side and the CAA DG office informed. To my knowledge they have fined some of the shippers quite large sums of money. However it seems to have little effect as the shipments still keep coming.
The problem with DG shipments, especially via courier type customers is that the orginal shipper dosn't necessarily know that the shipment is going to be sent by air. To the average shipper whats dangerous about a sample of paint or some hair spray?
It's a very difficult problem to overcome and is basically down to the checking/acceptance staff at airports. However when shipments come in shrink wrapped and on a pallet it is difficult to check every box.

Willit Run
9th Nov 2001, 21:32
I've been flying freight for 14 years, and there have been a few incidences that actually caused problems, but most haz mat infractions are rather benign. Thats not to say i wouldn't like to see more diligence on the matter, but in reality, we don't really see that many real problems in the industry.
OH, don't get me wrong, there have been many bad ones, but all in all, with the percentage of cargo moved, the problems are few, and because we have so many variables in the cargo industry, there will never be a system of 100% safety. After all, people are involved! We fly to places around the world, that don't recognize things as dangerous, or just plain don't care! Hey, when its your time, its your time!

corsair303
10th Nov 2001, 00:01
thanks for the replys.
mostly what ive found agrees with what both of you have said. I think for most air carriers hazardous materials shipments, or DG (dangerous goods?)make up only about 1% or so of their business. Also, theres not a whole lot that can be done about undeclared HAZMAT. Since Value Jet the FAA has spent alot of money tyring to educate shippers and forwarders, as well as providing alot of free iformation. Also they laid down some pretty heavy fines. But still the problem still stands. As was said above, some passenger could throw a bottle of hydrogen peroxide into their luggage and not think anything of it.