View Full Version : Virgin sub-orbital

Basil
24th Jan 2008, 09:40
BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7205445.stm) with pictures of re-useable Virgin project. :}

Design raises a few public transport questions:
Vmc going to be a tad high.
Will there be a vomit vac for the zero g phase?
Can we go around if runway obstructed?

lgw-morph
24th Jan 2008, 10:18
I like the name of the launch aircraft, White Knight 2, does sound like a tumble dryer though!

OutOfRunWay
24th Jan 2008, 11:17
I just hope they plan on inspecting their O-ring seals on a regular basis!

Jetex Jim
24th Jan 2008, 11:26
Not bad timing though, by the time Branson gets ready to go there should be a few space plane qualified exshuttle pilots around happy to give it a go.

Is it just me or is it a little strange that the world once had a supersonic airliner and didnt replace it, the shuttle goes next and gets replaced by something Apollo a like. My readings of Heinlein and Clarke all those years ago promised a different 21st century than the one we ended up with.

Power to Branson and Rutan I think, not sure where the customers will come from but it looks like fun.

crab
24th Jan 2008, 13:05
The mothership looks like a mixture of HS146 and Jetstream bits to me!

aviate1138
24th Jan 2008, 13:36
Will each passenger get a jab to stop any bodily functions? Because if normal SLF are anything to go by when a strange noise/movement occurs............

Or will they have diapers? One thing for sure I hope each passenger gets to keep their flight suit!!!

Richard - Greeny - Branson will be polluting the upper atmosphere more than any other airline owner, surely?

The whole Concorde thing he proposed was merely attention seeking and I do so wish someone had called his bluff and said - OK Over to you RB.

China and the PM and Northern Rock?
All those conspiracy theories and the PM and the BA 777? Someone was trying to nobble RB rather than Mr Brown.

He'll do anything for publicity. Brave but foolhardy IMHO.

The company slogan should be "Virgin? - not for long!" :rolleyes:

Halfnut
24th Jan 2008, 18:09
I assume they will have to certify it to FAR 25 seeing as how the aircraft is being flown for hire. That will be a huge hurtle for such a small production run.

punkalouver
24th Jan 2008, 18:29
Not bad timing though, by the time Branson gets ready to go there should be a few space plane qualified exshuttle pilots around happy to give it a go.

Wasn't there something about Virgin's pilots getting a preferred opportunity to fly the spaceplane?

interpreter
25th Jan 2008, 09:22
Dare I suggest that it would be better if the Bearded One was sent into full orbit with all that that that implies?

komac2
28th Jan 2008, 04:57
Wasn't there something about Virgin's pilots getting a preferred opportunity to fly the spaceplane?

Go Here: http://www.virginblue.com.au/AboutUs/Media/NewsandPressReleases/U_001168.htm

http://www.ameinfo.com/81867.html

Partains to all Virgin Airlines companys apart from Pac/Poly Blue (contract Crews) or any others that are employed via a contract company, and the Rest are or will be recruited from NASA.