PDA

View Full Version : Gemini Air Cargo Info?

Continuous Ignition
31st Oct 2001, 01:05
Howdy,

Anyone have any info regarding Gemini Air Cargo. I'm thinking of applying for a maintenance position but can't find any news on them. I'm curious as to how they are doing financially and what their operation is like... Any info would be GREATLY appreciated....

[ 30 October 2001: Message edited by: Continuous Ignition ]

Huck
31st Oct 2001, 02:48
12 DC-10's, 4 MD-11's, all ACMI.

Financially, we've been able to keep body & soul together this year, but it's been tough. Our customers are enjoying the flush ACMI market and refuse to settle down to long term contracts like they used to. So there's wild fluctuations in operations - you may be travelling from station to station a bit.

Biggest mx operation is Miami, with Kennedy and LAX also big.

Overall I love my company and enjoy the people. But fasten your seatbelt - it's a wild ride these days.

Continuous Ignition
31st Oct 2001, 04:09
Huck,

Thanks for the info... Have you heard any info about the chances of cutbacks or layoffs? I'm with a stable company now who is commited to no layoffs but I absolutely hate my job. I want to get back to a smaller company where I feel part of a team rather than just a number.

Do you know how they work the Mx Station Reps? Do they get to live in whatever city they want and rotate in and out or are the based in places like JFK and MIA?
Thanks again!

[ 31 October 2001: Message edited by: Continuous Ignition ]

Huck
31st Oct 2001, 05:43
Mx is hiring right now, and they won't lay off unless our fleet shrinks considerably. Always a possibility but our prospects are o.k. for now.

No idea as to how they work mx basing. We have folks that live in their stations, and folks that commercial to/from work. Operations are so mercurial - for instance, I know we had a big shift from LAX to MIA this year for alot of our mechanics.

Good luck! If you've ever wanted to change the #2 starter at night on the ramp in Lagos, we're the airline for you!

Continuous Ignition
31st Oct 2001, 06:42
Again, many thanks for your rapid reply. As for changing a starter on #2 in Lagos? Where do I sign up? :D

Check your mail shortly.....

Manual Start
31st Oct 2001, 10:32
Huck,
No starter in Lagos! No problem.
Start 1&3, take off, airstart #2, land, shut down 1&3 while keeping #2 running, load A/C, start 1&3, take off, have a nice flight!

Huck
31st Oct 2001, 16:41
I have been told that that procedure was actually performed in Alaska by 727's flying in the bush! Supposedly it was FAA approved.

By the way, don't work on the Lagos ramp at night, for anyone, unless you've got a handful of special forces/marines/mossad to watch your back.

bobsinclar
2nd Nov 2001, 00:26
If you guys have a performance chart for a 2-engine T/O with windmilling #2, I'm interested !
:D

Anyway, don't try to swap starters once one of the engines is running ('tried that in Kinshasa a few years back when there was no time to fool around). The starter only stops spinning with the engine...

High Volt
3rd Nov 2001, 05:00
Hate to bust up the party yanks, but is it true you're (Gemini) flying the pond for DHL? If so, do you know of any plans for txfer or trans-atlantic routes to DHL EMA UK RSVP?

Huck
3rd Nov 2001, 06:02
It depends on Brussels - rumor is our DC-10's will be illegal there for noise after Jan. 1. I have been to East Midlands and DHL sure wasn't kidding around when they built that place - much bigger than anything they've got in the states.

Stratocaster
3rd Nov 2001, 18:02
DC-10s illegal in Brussels ? Strange rumor... Aren't they Stage III ? What other types of a/c are also on this "January list " ? B727 and DC-8 I guess...
:rolleyes:

Joaquín
5th Nov 2001, 02:01
Any chances for a brand new frozen ATPL? One wonders...

GlueBall
5th Nov 2001, 06:50
I don't believe that DC-10s will be illegal at Bruxelles January 1st, unless Stage 4 is to be implemented prematurely.

Hunter58
5th Nov 2001, 19:45
Glue Ball

it is stage 3, but the Brussels Airport authority has it's own system of measuring noise. So a DC10 is too noisy for night operations. By the way, take any freighter with the exeption of the 744-400, 767-300, A300-600F, MD11F! So, no more freighters unless they are from the above list!

freightdoggy dog
6th Nov 2001, 00:28
Bet they will let the "OO" reg 727s fly in after Jan 1st! Strange that EAT will be the national flag carrier for Belgium :p

Hunter58
6th Nov 2001, 12:24
And what about Virgin Express?

Any way, it's going to be a tough one. DO you want to lose the elections because you let the old brids fly at night and broke the promise to stop that, or do you lose the election because all the people that lost their jobs working at night find you the biggest of all a**holes on the planet (shortly after Usama and friends!)?

Tough decisions for a politician...

deing
6th Nov 2001, 22:38
Regarding noise restrictions at night in Brussels. They were introduced last July with a noisequota of 20, reducing to quota 16 next year July 2002 and to quota 12 July 2003.
DC-10's have a take-off quota of about 19 and so will banned next year July.
747's have with this rule already been banned at night. 727ADV will also follow next year July and lower powered 727-200's in july 2003
A300, MD11 and 727-100 meed the quota just.