PDA

View Full Version : GP check-up before costly medical

Lyndon
23rd Jan 2008, 20:38
Hi,
I am taking the first steps towards being an airline pilot and heard somewhere on the net that it would be a good idea to visit my GP to check what he can for free first, rather than having to find out after paying a fair bit for a medical.
What I'd like to know is: do GP's know what to check relating to being a pilot? And if not, could anybody give me a list of things I could ask him to check?

Many Thanks,
Lyndon

gingernut
24th Jan 2008, 08:58
I did post a lengthy reply, but this darn server logged me out, but here's a summary.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=307459 will give you an idea of what happens at the medical.

It's unlikely your gp will want too perform the "systems" checks- he won't have the time, and it's probably a little unfair to use NHS resources for this, unless you present with a specific problem.

It's reasonable to ask for the following.
BP/height/weight/bmi/urine testing/blood testing if appropite/lifestyle advice/?peak flow and maybe full spirometry, (more likely if you are a smoker).

Talk to your practice nurse, he or she should be able to offer the above:)good luck.