PDA

View Full Version : Apnea or not...

avguy1960
23rd Jan 2008, 15:08
Apparently my snoring is reaching some serious levels, enough to drive her that must be obeyed to the spare room. I dont consider myself overweight, I'm big boned :) , collar 15.5, Gym 4 days a week, run everyday but apparently my snoring is getting worse and worse. I have tried pretty much everything over the counter, the snoring comes from my throat rather than my nose.

There are periods when I go "quite" at night so I am thinking this all points to apnea. I sleep fine and dont feel tired during the day. I have snored to some degree all my life, even 15 years ago they used to joke how you could hear me through 2 concrete walls !!

My blood pressure is normal so I dont think there is a danger issue. My concern is if I go to the doc, have a sleep study and they say yes you suffer from sleep apnea, is that it I have to contact AMS and my Class I gets suspended there and then ?

anyone any thoughts ?
Feel free to PM if prefer.

Loose rivets
23rd Jan 2008, 17:03
I don't know, but providing you don't take any drugs for the problem, I doubt that the powers that be would care if you tried to improve your wife's nights with the devices that are available.

avguy1960
23rd Jan 2008, 17:27
My concern is that if I go for a sleep study and they diagnose sleep apnea which apparently a massive % of people have then this kicks in which starts with step 1 - temporarily unfit to fly.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MedSleepApnoea.pdf

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Jan 2008, 17:46
Funny thing what people try to do to avoid speaking to their doctor.

Sleep Apnoeas are associated with a higher risk of strokes etc so you may want to reconsider what is more important.

Go to your doctor, get your throat and neck looked at, get a sleep questionnaire and take it from there.

I personally rather go to talk to anyone than having my wife sleep in a seperate room but then I quite like my wife!

:}