PDA

View Full Version : Darwin in the 80's

Pages : [1] 2

Stationair8
23rd Jan 2008, 07:34
The thread about about Skywest and Amman, bought back some memories of working in Darwin in the 88/89.

Back then the GA scene was pretty busy out of Darwin lots of operators and some good jobs.

Darwin Airport
Nothing on the northern side, just scrub and then in 1989 the CAA office was built on that side.
Everything happened on the south side, the International/Domestic terminal on the western side of 36 and the GA was on the eastern side of 36 and the RAAF had hardstands and parking bays near the main terminal and also about halfway along rwy11/29. Always good fun to park next to the RAAF FA-18's while offloading passengers at the terminal.

The might Darwin Flight Service Unit and Met office was located over in the GA area, the hub of activity in those days, always very good service from the guys and gals!

The good old Darwin Aero Club bar was the place to be after a hard days flying!

The Operators

Air North the flagship of the fleet was the two DC-3's MMA/CAN, a couple of Conquests, Titans, C421C, C402C's, C310R's, Islander and Cessna C210's.
Don Mitchell always seemed to be fly the C421C or DC-3, Ian Britten-Jones was in the C441 or C402, Dave Cooper was the ops manager, George Washington likewise flew most of the fleet. The Chief Pilot was Ian Drennan in those days, John Hardy was in the MD seat.

Skywest had the coastwatch contract using Aerocommander AC500, Nomads for Customs and the NT Aeromed contract using B200 Kingairs and Nomads.

Lloyd Aviation had the Troughton Island runs using the EMB110 Bandeirante and the CASA 212, and later in the pilots dispute they were running the Fokker F28 on the centre run.

Arnhem Air and Flying School, the good old Ossie Ossgood (RIP) and the RPT operation to Oenpelli, Maningrida Croker Island and Goulbourn Island.
The fleet included Piper PA-31 VH-SAO Sally Anne Ossgood, Chieftains VH-IXP and the mighty Partenavia VH-ECO. Ossie also run the other flying school on the airport when he could obtain or retain instructors,which had a couple of C172's and a very nice C182RG.

Amman Aviation was up and running but the Coastwatch contract was back at Skywest. Ammans operated a couple of the AC-681's on charter, a wicked looking MU-2G, a baron and a Bonanza.

Wimray was getting bigger the Baron and Navajo VH-CYY were joined by the Chieftain FDQ, and they had a flock of PA-32's. Ivan Duncan(RIP)was the chief pilot.

Executive Airlines was starting out with black Chieftain and a Baron TWO.

Paspaley Pearl had the Grumman Mallards.

Darwin Aero club was a hive of activity under Ed Plenty and Billy Hodge was the president. Flying training at Darwin, Gove and Jabiru.
They must have had a dozen aircraft from the Warriors thru to the Baron RNL.

Brolga Air had the daily freight runs out to Jabiru, Gove and Groote in Cessna C210 WMP/TET, for Wards and the mob did for TNT in the C210 MDZ.

Tillair had a few aircraft based in Darwin.

Anyone care to add?

RENURPP
23rd Jan 2008, 07:40
The terminal had bullet holes all through it.
There was a max exodus of the area at around 12.00 and returning around 1300, just a bit of darwin entertainment.
ATC hasn't changed, we complained then ............................

Howard Hughes
23rd Jan 2008, 07:52
I was in Darwin in the mid to late nineties, many of the companies and identities you refer to were long gone!

Fast forward to now and even more changes, not many left from the 80's but the Mallards seem to just keep going...

Flying Binghi
23rd Jan 2008, 08:07
In the 80s - just a one hour lunch !!! :eek:........I think the place went backwards after 74 ;)

RENURPP
23rd Jan 2008, 09:06
It was one good lunch, a fair percentage of the partakers were government workers, briefing/met officers Civil ATCers as well as the RAAF in Darwin back then.
Start at the Berimah at 12.15 then into town for the 12.45:D

tinpis
23rd Jan 2008, 09:29
1988 it was well and truly over my friend.

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Jan 2008, 09:40
Was VH-SKY, the world's highest time gutless cutlass, plying the paper run to the Alice in the late 80's?

Dr :8

Mr. Hat
23rd Jan 2008, 09:48
Interesting stuff chaps. Do tell more.

Richo
23rd Jan 2008, 10:48
WoW Stationair8, a right blast from the old days.

(Now lets keep it clean here boys, I only mention names with fond memories. Don't start a slanging match)

Yes Doc the mighty SKY was around for a while doing that run, and they had an IFR PA32r for the bad nights.

Here are a few more names for your list S8,

Ron (the wog) Malavisi, Kester Van......, Birdie, the lovely mandy.
Bob bell and his name sake Greg, Bob (Mother) Miller, John Sherro, Mr Lawford and the LOOOOONGEze, Guido (RIP), Mal, Roy and Nobby (the Steelcon crew)

Don't forget that den of dasserdly deads down at Batchelor.
Dick and Myora Skinner, TC from the para club, clarkie and Gavin from the Norther Aus, gliding club, oh and who could forget Bex J.

And from MKT, Ray bud and the Gulf air crew.

Oh how we could go on. All the best to any who where there in those days.

richo

morno
23rd Jan 2008, 12:12
Is it true there was once a story about SKY, with it's absolutely ridiculous amount of hours it had on it from doing those runs all the time, where the owners thought it'd be a good advert for Cessna to basically say "This is how good our aircraft still go after X amount of hours"??

The reply from Cessna was basically "Please retire this aircraft, we never intended it to do that many hours!!".

Can someone confirm or deny that?

morno

ForkTailedDrKiller
23rd Jan 2008, 12:28
"Please retire this aircraft, we never intended it to do that many hours!!".

Haven't heard that one before Morno.

Unfortunately the SKY fell in - in a fatal collison with Fiji a couple of years ago.

Dr :8

tinpis
23rd Jan 2008, 14:16
Landing at Troffton Island to collect clam shells, before it had been reopened....:rolleyes:

Stationair8
23rd Jan 2008, 20:23
I forgot about Dick and Myra Skinner and the crew at Batchelor .
A few more names and companies:
1. Gulf Air from out at Groote
2. Mannigrida Progress Association had a C210 then C310 MPZ. Brett "Brol" Lewis was based out there for a few years.
3 . The God botherers at MAF bases at Gove and Oenpelli.
4. Helimuster operating AC680 VH-EXP/Z on incendiary dropping for the controlled burn-offs for National Sparks and Wildfire
5. Air Frontier with the Aztecs and Bonanza
6. Kakadu Air
7. Armunda Airways
During the pilots dispute Air North operated a couple of x-hired F27 Friendships on the Darwin-Gove -Groote-Cairns run.
The Raaf had just opened Tindal and the FA-18 were now based there.
The first of the big Kangaroo exercises was conducted in the late 1980's, nothing like watching FA-18 beat up the airport at low level and break off and land.
The old control tower on the southern side.

Chocks Away
23rd Jan 2008, 20:37
:} Watching Guido from the Aero Club Beer Garden on a friday afternoon, playing in his Sabre doing fly-bys :D
...as did some of the Pel-Air/Jetcraft Westwinds on departure south.

(Don't have much good to say about VH-SKY, which flew in 92/93, as that shonk QLD company undercut my quote (using Govt unemployment subsidies to pay pilots) for the Centre paper run, when I knew the Tender price NT News wanted, :ugh: )

...racing off the get to the 3;45pm "Strip and Prawn" at the Sportsman bar... Lims Sunday sessions...

Do the KFC runs still go out east from Katherine each week?

tinpis
23rd Jan 2008, 20:58
Dix 'til six :{
The old sailing club before public service nobs :{
The old Stella Maris :{
Jesses at Parap :{ (god ID KILL for a feed like that again)
The Latin Tavern :{
Wrestling the croc on the carpet at 3am in Sweethearts :{
Mini Mokes :{
Being able to walk around day or night without being humbugged,raped,stabbed or bashed :*

Oh....um...aviation?...er... being able to park yer car any bloody where you wanted :ok:

Stationair8
23rd Jan 2008, 21:11
Mini Mokes now they bring back some memories.
The guy who had the rental car business near the airport, who had the wall of photos of Darwin airport after Cyclone Tracey visit.
Pelair Westwinds and don't forget the Pelair House and the quiet pool parties!
Probably banned due to OH&S reasons now!
Airnorth had the prawn and strippers on a Friday night in the hangar.
Arnhem's Christmas party using the confiscated grog.
Arnhem's hangar complete with the bullet holes from Feb 1942.
Don't forget Ossie's ability to employ ****** chief pilots who later took up driving taxis as a career change!

tinpis
23rd Jan 2008, 21:25
Probably be few ex Arnhem pilots would like driving over Ossie on the way into the new Bunnings :}

Is old George Washington still with us? :hmm:

Kanga767
23rd Jan 2008, 22:01
During the pilots dispute Air North operated a couple of x-hired F27 Friendships on the Darwin-Gove -Groote-Cairns run.

Only had TQS, I have a pic of it somewhere with Airnorth painted on it.

IBJ used to fly WGS, the 421.

*sigh*

K

Richo
23rd Jan 2008, 22:12
Derek Z

I agre Ron is a great bloke, you obviously saw that old ASIC card.

TinnP, can you give more info about the Bunnings and Ozzie thing, its been a while since I was in town and I have to agree about Jessies, yum

And from the tower
Batsey, maddo, dubbo, clare and off 36 "Clear for Take-off, make early left turn, remain south of 11/29!"

Rick and Ron in the CASA office/demountable very stratigicaly placed between the the aero club and Wimray.
Lother Shierbert at Oenpelli and the "Black ......." from the Jabiru aero club.

Kim kosh the gun toting airnorth pilot/chief.

Jerry luck and the old 310 on the disused

and who could forget the monthly B52 visits. it was around this time that the B1s also came to Darwin for the first time. Anybody remember the day the Air France Concord left Darwin with a Mirage on each wing tip, well for a little while anyway.

Kanga767
23rd Jan 2008, 22:21
Jessies, yum Chef Jaffa!

A QF 767 taxiing for the old terminal, when the new terminal had opened...

Canadian registered Mallard doing a wheels up on 36...

Fitting the executive interior in and out of HWD..

"Taxi via the disused"...

8DN...Col Krohn talkback...no Bagot road flyover...

K

Stationair8
23rd Jan 2008, 22:22
Had the jumpseat in a B737 back into Darwin, and the FO heard SAO come up on frequency and remarks to the Captain, "F%$^k me that bucket of bolts is still flying, that f$#@ing c&^t Ossie sacked me for such and such" and captain replied "yeah I flew that f@@@*ng bucket of bolts in whenever and f###%%ing Ossie sacked me to".
The captain went on to tell us about Ossie doing coastwatch in the P68 in the early days , they used to leave Darwin and fly for about 8 hours apart from when then stopped over at somewhere like Bathurst Island for about four hours!
A family friend worked for Ossie in the early 1973/4 used to get sacked at least once a week by Ossie. Got sacked one day at 11am and was rehired at 4pm due a opal buyer needing to get to Coober Pedy asap.

RENURPP
23rd Jan 2008, 22:26
I can't remember when the "stute" became popular, around the move to the öther/Dark side".
The friday nights or saturday mornings, it was the liveliest pub in town for a couple of years, it died with Adrian's demise.

There is a road leading into the new bunnings and then towards the GA area named Özgood Drive".

Stationair8
23rd Jan 2008, 22:44
Don't forget the Nightcliff pub when Nightcliff was out in the sticks.
Kim Kosh another legend in own his lunchbox, I can recall when he was a boy at Wimray and was allowed to fly FDQ.
Darwin aero Club instructors sent out to Jabiru for a weekend of instructing.
Who was bloke from Skywest who owned the Baron VH-RNL?
Talk in the late 80's of Skywest getting a B1900 or a Dash8 for the Troughton Island run.
Charter's out to Cooinda for the day, sit by the pool and hopefully a free lunch.

The Baron
23rd Jan 2008, 23:21
Ah, The "good" old days!
Bob Miller owned RNL.
Ossie used to say " If I sack you come back tomorrow and see me, but if Shirley sacks you, you're really sacked!"
Remember landing at Jabiru and being scored by The Black Parrot and Scorch on your landing?
My favorite was the Darwin Aero Club Coke machine that dispensed green cans or white cans for 2 bucks 24/7:D

Stationair8
23rd Jan 2008, 23:27
RNL-Root no ladies
Don't forget Ossie's children.

pithblot
23rd Jan 2008, 23:56
Stationair8, that would be Eddie I think - well one of them. Used to work in the engine shop over the road.

Then there was

George (James) Washington
Slim Rosier, his son Mike
Bill Funston
Henk Van Der Maas
Charlie Downes
IBJ

Maurie G
Ian Drennan
Gordon Bretag

a few years before, Tim Georgettie (I can´t spell it).

A (now) QF 767 capt leaving a couple boxes of prawns in the nose locker of a C207 over the weekend.....someone sending a human leg wrapped in plastic on Air North over the weekend and it suffering the same fate as the prawns!

Did a C310 catch fire while being refueled back about then.....what was that story.

Aero Med Nomads.

RPT DC3s

´Coffin Flights`

`Hector` between Bathurst and Melville Islands.

Ahhh! It was a great time :}

tinpis
24th Jan 2008, 00:00
:hmm: OMG ! ...Col Kronh ! what a mind ! :rolleyes:
Can you remember the interminable stations breaks on the local TV?
They would always play a clip of Long John Baldry & Kathi MacDonald "..lost that loving feeling.."? :uhoh:

Bill Funston BBJ skipper
Henk retired and ok in Darwhine
Slim RIP sadly
"Gundy" Mills still pickng a pocket or two I believe
IBJ retired at 70 not out
anyone know where Peter Croagh is? (sp)

flying-spike
24th Jan 2008, 00:24
That was only a temporary move. You'd be surprised where I am now!

Stationair8
24th Jan 2008, 04:41
Pelair and the Shorts 330 out to Narbalek, to service the uranium mine.
Bruce Cosgrove, Doug Stott

The Aztec dubbed "fire truck" that was operated by the people building Seven Spirit Bay.

A few more from Air North - Tony Willis, Geoff McDonald who used to fly the DC-3 and Queenairs.

Flying -Spike, Ossie had a number of CP who took up taxi driving. You may be the one if you are large person with a chip on your shoulder.

Have met the Black Parrot, he was always trying to get a ride in or out of Darwin.

Anyone remember the guy at the aero-club who offered to put away the warrior for you, taxi it around and log it as flight-time.
Anyone remember the presidents daughter?

Stationair8
24th Jan 2008, 04:58
Don't forget Ansett NT

bonez
24th Jan 2008, 06:29
By the end of the 80's the good times were over and the move to the north side was on the go.

What about all those great nights at the RAAF Officers Mess. Many GA pilots were Hon Members and in the early 80's it was Wed nite and then Thu nite for the raffle. Some top events over there including the odd Dining In night were it was the only time in DN that one got to wear a dinner suit and bow tie!!

Charlie Downs left RAAF ATC and did some flying then moved to BNE where he worked for Flight West - Now retired I believe.

Civil ATC did Arrivals outside of 30nm.. remember "handrail" - one of the characters of ATC (now in BN tower I am told).

The RAAF 75 Sqn came down from Butterworth in 84, before the MIR's were sent to Woomera in 87(?) and the Sqn moved to TN with the F/A18.
Remember the new RAAF hangar that had the fire system go off and flood the place with foam... it took a while for some of the MIRs to be cleaned up..! When the hangar was new, they held the annual RAAF Base Ball in it... what a night!

NTAC - Graham Ball (used to fight with Ozzie all the time!)

WimRay - Ray Allwright and Wim ????. Started with just one a/c then a demountable near the aero club. Used to x/hire the club a/c quite a bit. One of the few companies that moved northside.

Bob Miller went up there as a tech for Telecom in the late 70's. He had a Victa then. He had RNL (Baron) and used to use it for the club and Wimray and anyone else that wanted a twin. He finished up with Skywest or was it NJS. Since left DN.

Remember one time that SAO was on the ground at OEN and called up for a relay as he was u/s. Msg passed but then some 3rd voice come on the freq and "is your biscuit crumbling?" .. got lots of laughs.

Anyone remember the line book in the old tower with all the classic R/T comments... ROFL..!!

Have some pics of the AF Concorde and a MIR on each wingtip.. what a great day that was.

Theres more... but that will do for now... what great times:ok:

pithblot
24th Jan 2008, 07:23
The RAAF were great. Remember doing ´practice GCAs`, then when you got better ´request a practice GCA, talk to touch`. (You could do them at Katherine too.) At those nights in the O´s mess ATC would make themselves known.....one bloke told me if ever ****s was trumps to call him out any time for a real GCA. I thought about doing it once when the ILS was taken out by lightning... but the weather wasn´t that bad.

What about navigating without GPS.....in the dry season smoke and in the wet at night. Getting there was half the fun - and hard work sometimes.

DME descents.

Listening for the Null when tuning the ADF in MMA.

Or at 3 am `Darwin tower, this is DHP, Med 1 for XXX request taxy and airywas clearance, details on departure.`

Sad to hear about Slim. When did he die. Slim was a great bloke - as he would say ´a straight shooter´- a real gentleman, and a very good pilot.

Ah yeah, I remember the Col Khron interludes and that other luminary of the airwaves, Dave Nason, of ´Nason Off` fame.

Keith Boulby, working on a DC3 and reminiscing about the TSR2 !

The Air North Hanger Cat. Who was it that fed him...

Airport security. All the gates were open - free access to who ever wanted to wander around and look at aeroplanes. Eventually they put locks on the gates and the keys were handed out and passed through the ranks as guys left and others arrived. My key opened every perimiter gate on the civil side and a bunch of doors in the terminal. I don´t remember who I passed it on too.

....and it was mostly blokes flying back then, not many girls. Mandy Dewar, Sue Michaelis, and, way back Christine Davis an Olympic skiier and an airline Capt who went on to fly helicopters out of Troughton.

PITHBLOT

Stationair8
24th Jan 2008, 08:14
No GPS.
No mobile phones
No computer flight planning, everything by telex machine with the help of Darwin Flight Service. Lost track of the number of plans put in by HF, or reverse charge phone calls to the FSU, to get wx or notams.

Micheal Bridge was a boy in short pants down at the Rock.

Roger Leach at just got his first Conquest.

Air North were going to takeover Tillair.

High altitude would have been a Kindergarten thug.

Police air wing had a very slick PA-31CR in Darwin.

Borrowing Kakadu Air's company car to go into Darwin.

triadic
24th Jan 2008, 08:19
Yes, the GCA's were great. The controllers did not get enough practice with Military aircraft so it was somewhat easy to get one as a civie.

....and it was mostly blokes flying back then, not many girls. Mandy Dewar, Sue Michaelis, and, way back Christine Davis an Olympic skiier and an airline Capt who went on to fly helicopters out of Troughton.

Don't forget little Christine Hayes who worked for Ozzie, then flew the JetCharter/Pelair Shorts to NAB. I saw her load a Navajo full of beer one day and go wherever. What a top little worker.

Then there was the Lear that used to do the Wards Express daily service from south - one of the pilots on that was Mary O'Brian (RIP). Used to spend a bit of time in DN. She later went to CAA at BK.

Then there was the lady ATCO. As was the done thing, all the RAAFies had a nick name - she was just a junior controller from the school at Sale and she was call "Narf". Reason being, it was about the time the movie "Ten" came out and she was a nine and a half (narf) out of 10... she was too!! Promoted lots of visits to the Tower!!

And of course there was the boys in the tower. They had large signs with numbers on them and they used to come out on the balconey and give you a score for your landing - one day, one of the regulars turned off at that taxiway opposite the old tower to look up for the "score" only to see 3 brown eye's!! yeah.. good days

:D:D

tipsy2
24th Jan 2008, 08:39
bonez, I believe Charlie Downs is flying the F100 for Alliance in Brisbane. I first met him at RAAF Richmond in the late 60's where he was a C130E Flight Engineer. Even in the 60's you could never tell whether he had his flying helmet on or not:E

Charlie even managed to teach me to fly gliders.:ok:

tipsy:rolleyes:

Richo
24th Jan 2008, 12:54
ST8 we share way too many memories, sure you don't have twin.

Wim van den Herric and Nattalie moved to FNQ somewhere just up over the ranges. Nat now in Cairns, John Biffo would be able to confirm that.

RNL came back from the paint job in the late 80's, first thing someone said to me was "gee that R looks like an A" = ANL?

The C310 story was just around again a few weeks ago, yes she burnt after the pilot saved the tanker driver.

Charlie had a daughter who went on to become and aero eng through RMIT though I can't remember her first name. Bill Hodge,s daughter was Lesslie Ann still in Darwin at last count. Still remember Bill syaing to me" That Birdie was a good bloke, but he did not like him as a lover for his Daughter", care to comment Birdie!!

As for females Glenda, Monica, Jillian and who could forget Kath. Well then there was BONNIE little BONNIE and her puppies. Of all the things I remember about Ozzie, the day he had a punch up with bonnies Hubby, still lingers. Unfortunatly I was 43rd in line to throw a punch at that bloke.

The Bathurst Is Grand final, when you could get a parking place without overlapping wings and reversing Brazzs out of the tarmac. While we are over on the islands, that little water fall just down from the Picatarramore(spelling) airstrip, heaven with a bottle of wine (woops did I say that(Dry island)).

As for HA, taught him BAK.

The Lawford bros scott and Lockie.

Friday arvo formation flying in the worriers.

RENURPP
24th Jan 2008, 13:06
I may have missed it, I don't recall anyone mentioning Ron Beach. Turned into a hippy at Nimbin i believe.

tinpis
24th Jan 2008, 19:27
Last I heard Ron B was living in the UK

flying-spike
24th Jan 2008, 20:43
Woah! I'm well aware that there were a few of us. Not sure about the chip on the shoulder though. I asked you to expand on it to see if you were talking about me specifically. I still have a lot of good friends from those times and I can still sleep at night. You know who I am , and I would love to know who you are. You have this perception that I have a chip on my shoulder, perhaps it is you that is harboring a little guilt?. If you don't want to identify yourself in this forum I will repeat the invitation to PM me.

flying-spike
24th Jan 2008, 21:34
Anybody know the wherabouts of Steve Cunich, Ashley Ruhl, "biggles" Williams, Birdy or Keyser (ex Wimray)?

jimmy67
24th Jan 2008, 22:01
Any of you have the pleasure of flying Man Prog Ass'n
P68 IYF?
or BMU a PA32-269 with a throttle like a door knob?

Thanks for the thread.

RENURPP
24th Jan 2008, 22:39
Ron B returned from the motherland, oh, must be more than a year ago now. Still involved in aviation and living some where on the North Coast NSW, I think it may have been Nimbin.

VH-IYF, not sure if I would call it a pleasure, but yes I did fly it.:ooh:

Lets leave the Arnhem Air CP issue alone, it may ruin a good thread.:=

flying-spike
24th Jan 2008, 22:48
Agree, (just took exception to the presumed expletive deleted reference in the earlier thread)
Many happy memories even though Ozzie was a "challenge". Is Carl at Mgd still kicking? Would love to catch up with the guys that fled to Skywest during the dispute. Saw JWH meatbombing out of Redcliffe recently and heard SAO was still doing the same up near Tully. You would have to gut the thing for that but it would be worthwhile just to get rid of its "unique" odour! JNX AND LGI I haven't seen since then but I did watch JMF (182RG) do a wheels-up at Oakey a few years ago.

tinpis
25th Jan 2008, 00:01
I can understand Ron B living on the Nth Coast but not as a hippy, no way d00d http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/hippie.gif

Who was the little lass I think she was at Maningrida for Oz and went to qwanas?
I seem to recall she got medivaced to DRW one night with severe snake bite ?
Was the mud sled N24 glider act in the 80s?

The Voice
25th Jan 2008, 00:08
nah Tinny, that was the 90's .. pre the FSC closure ..

GREAT THREAD BTW ... having a nice little wander down memory lane! :cool:

tinpis
25th Jan 2008, 00:57
Oh thanks Voice :ok:
Hmmm ...who could ferget "The Pom" ?

God there ARE some funny stories,but no way would I relate them without my lawyer being present http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/anim_cryingwithlaughter.gif

flying-spike
25th Jan 2008, 01:18
I remember a certain instructor cleaning out Ozzie's waiting room with half a canister of BOC De-odour-gas. with a sleeping Betty getting most of it squirted up her dress! or
When Ozzie asked me to paint feet on the scales so the locals would stand on them properly. I did, PT. Keats style...3 toes on one foot and 6 on the other. He didn't see the humour in it!

Stationair8
25th Jan 2008, 06:24
Does old Karl out at MGD, realise the theee war is over.

A few other names from that era, "Spinner" that used twist spanners and also do some flying for Executive Airlines when John Weymouth owned it, Penny Hannrahan likewise flew for Executives, Dean Marshall that flew for Tillair.

Air North operating a Bandeirante for a short while, likewise operating a couple of Citations down to Tanami when the Conquest's where in for hot sections.
Air Norths fleet of C310 VH-ANW/SGL C402C ANO/UCD/E

Only ever see the CAA guys in the dry season.

Barry Lodge from CAA flying the Lloyd's F28 on the AD-AS-DRW-AS-AD run.

Tillair guys leaving after Air North taking over and most going to Hazellton's.

Tillair operating one of the first Caravans in Australia.

Royal Bruini operating a B727.

RENURPP
25th Jan 2008, 06:52
Spinner went off to the sand pit and as far as I know is still there.

Mike Gough did the rounds with Air North, Loyds and Skywest. Retired around 6 months ago from the 717 with NJS.

Does anyone know where John Biffon ended up?
and how about Paul Raggart.

Stationair8
25th Jan 2008, 06:59
Merv Fowler and his fleet of C210's MJD/KSS/WRD cross hired out to various operators

The other guy Thompson who a couple of C210's as well, including one parked in the scrub at Batchelor.

The Bible Society's C206 BXT?

The Voice
25th Jan 2008, 07:10
RENURPP .. Paul Raggart - last I heard, he was happily living on one of the islands from the land of the long white cloud .. wandering around aimlessly on a jet (carried big buck value neddies I think) ..

PS - can confirm Tipsys earlier post re Charles .. fine gentleman he is! Still playing with jets and gliders ..

PPS - and what about the night of the 'bombing of Darwin Terminal' (when the old one shut down and the new one opened) jeeeeeeeze Louise, that WAS a swim thru' .. :bored:

Richo
25th Jan 2008, 07:21
Merv fowler is still in AsA, last seen touring Aust with the Runway incurstion training team.

Mr Thompson was a ex FSO who went into the Video hire buisness, sold out and retired some time agoI am led to belive. The C210 piloted by himself and with one of Dicks apprentices on board went in just off the end of the runway in the tall trees (for the NT). the tail still exists as a monument (of sorts) out side the Parachute club at Batchelor.

Old Karl at MGD, what a ledgend. I did hear a rumour that he was very unwell some time ago. Came from T Davis ex MPA chief pilot, anybody know for sure.

backwards PPRUNER, Biffo was last back in VIC flyin the AERORESCUE Donnier, not quite sure if he is still there. Sam Romano ex NTAS, Pearl and QL may be able to sheed some light on his whereabouts.

remember the opening of the new terminal well, Matt Bammer Fullwood from 75SQN with his very by the book departure in the hornet. TBone the safety officer, king of the bird fright.

I was trying to think of some of the operators who came and went during that time. Starting from the Southern end
Aeroclub
CASA,
Wimray,
Airnorth office,
DGA Hanger with ARNHEMS in the other end,
The helocopter mob, was it Jarrow and thier red headed chief
also in there LLOYD ?? I think
Skywest & AEROMED
and airnorth hanger

Going across the road there was the FSU and Briefing office, what did we use those things for again??

There was a guy who operated some choppers (mustering) and I think had a C421 or similar for a short while, anybody remember him.

And who could forget a pie from the old Airport gates servo.

Stationair8
25th Jan 2008, 07:40
There was another helicopter mob-West Australian choppers? Jayrow was there to somewhere.

Don't forget the NSCA Bell 412 operating in Darwin for a while.

Flight service better not mention that it could cause certain people anguish.
Always reckon a good FSO was worth his or her weight in green or blue cans, flogging around in remote areas with a Full-sar flight plan was better than nothing. I bet you the NT industry was widely consulted before all the new rules came in the early 1990's!!!!

Don't forget they were the days of operational control, and you were always given updated wx etc.

The CAA guys coming up in the G1000 and the aerodrome guys flying around in the Bonanza

Richo
25th Jan 2008, 08:38
And the NSCA C208, the first one I ever saw. I prefered the sound of those Bell Super Transporters (B??) that used to come in form Troughton, that was one big set of rotor blades.

Remember the night one of the airnorth DC3's took the wing off a RAAF C47 during a thunderstorm.

The exit the Boo game, after the O2 bottle went off, and who could forget that quiet Sat arvo when nothing was happening, except the USAF tanker supporting a flight of 12 F16's on thier way to Townsville went US just morth of Darwin. Suddenly it was raining very dry F16's on the runway, and the duty crew, well that consisted of 1 LAC in shorts and thongs, the base OC in not much different and 10 very lucky AIRTC cadets who just happened to be at the flightline. Ever see the look on the face of USAF pilot when he looks down and sees his marshaller is a 14 year old kid!.

Watching the lightning counter in the old tower clicking over like the second counter on a digital clock, during TS at the field.

Stationair8
25th Jan 2008, 08:50
Darwin aero Club instructors Micheal Pajman and Peter Stapelton.
What was the callsign of the aero club C210 was it FOZ?
Got to do a BFR with Ron Lawford at one stage.

Chocks Away
25th Jan 2008, 08:51
Keyser (ex Wimray)... some years back was QF longhaul living in Brisbane.

..."Rage at the Cage" when "Lims" really was a cage, with live bands and no dress standard :}

The Black Parrott always had a story and beer on the Jabiru Aero Club balcony... with that can-crushing-machine on the wall.

Accom at Kakadu Air was in "the Green Can" in the Jabiru Caravan Park... Darwin company car for pilots was a green Galant with small Kak-Air stickers on the doors, which I got pulled over in one night heading out to "Darby's" and the Cops laughed when mentioning it wasn't mine but a company car...:)

An Amann Aviation Commander sat for years in the weeds at the end of Rwy36... looked like they built the Nth GA out of it's way/around it :}

LMC:
Yeh, Paj went for that new airline "AAA" and got into SQ as a cadet. Now on B777 and I think a CMD now.

Dog One
25th Jan 2008, 08:58
Heard IBJ retired late last year at 70.

Stationair8
25th Jan 2008, 09:06
Don't forget the Kakadu Air company car always ran best on a 100 octane. avgas.
Whenever I borrowed it to slip into the big smoke for an hour or so, I always stuck a bit of avgas in her from the aeroplane, a bloke doesn't want to be accused of being dishonest.

triadic
25th Jan 2008, 09:18
Merv fowler is still in AsA, last seen touring Aust with the Runway incurstion training team.

Merv moved from DN to CS and was ATC boss there for some years, then moved to CB and up the ladder a bit. Had his a/c down there also. He was manager Towers (oz wide) when he left AsA about 2 yrs ago (retired or package??). I think he is still in the ACT somewhere (??). A good bloke!

Stationair8
25th Jan 2008, 09:33
Don't forget the NT airline routes in the 1980's were regulated.
Ansett NT had the main ones.
Air North were allocated so many and Arnhems had most of the routes out to the east like Oenpelli, Maningrida, Goulbourn and Croker Island.
A retired FSO told me that if Ossie had bought a Bandeirante in the early 1980's he would have been given the run to service Narbalek Uranium Mine instead of Pelair. This bloke also had some old movie footage of VH-SAO landing out at Jabiru when the airstrip first opened and flew in the VIP for the mine opening.

bonez
25th Jan 2008, 10:59
DOUBT IT !

if Ossie had bought a Bandeirante in the early 1980's he would have been given the run to service Narbalek Uranium Mine instead of Pelair.

The Bandit would not have been able to fill the contract requirements, which included carriage of both pax and product (yellowcake).

Shorts 330 was the only aircraft around at the time that could do that job and I doubt if Ozzie had the resources to acquire one.

KNN arrived from the UK in Dec 80 and started work to NAB in Jan 81. Contract ran till 88. KNO & KNP also did the run in later years.

The contract was won by "Jet Charter Airlines" which later became "Wings Australia" and then Pelair. Same mob, different name (and bank?).

over_centre
25th Jan 2008, 11:02
I guess 'Sister Fred' has long gone from the Mission on Bathurst ??

Richo
25th Jan 2008, 11:39
Paj is still with SQ on the B777.

FOC was the aeroclubs C210,
MHP and JBF were the PA32 Saratogas
DQE, PZK and BVL PA28 Worriers
SWB PA28R II and NIS which replaced SWB after the island prang
LAC C172RG Cutlass and
RZW C150
WTR C182

Also available was the PA34 Seneca UOM, a couple of A36's EUM & ??? and a few other PA32s over the years MAR (RIP), OHM, AOP,

Ozzie had
FCH C172
FCQ C172 the one that pranged out at the research farm
FCI C172R
JMF C182
Remember Robert T and John K

Wimray
FTP, PYC, and KJE PA32 300

Spotlight
25th Jan 2008, 12:43
It wasn't all beer and prawns.

The attitude taken by many Air North people when Mandy D returned left a sour taste in my mouth.

topdrop
25th Jan 2008, 13:03
The satay chicken rolls from Winellie Bakery - delicious.:)
Dinner at the sailing club watching the sunset.
Sailing races where you had to anchor at the mark waiting for the seabreeze to kick in - until then the tidal flow was way too strong for the breeze :mad:
Maranga pub - Tuesday or was it Thursday lunchtime :ok::ok:
B52s using curvature of the earth to get airborne.
Being able to bowl massive in/outswingers at indoor cricket due humidity - think it nearly rained inside.
RAAF Approach controllers vectoring aircraft when the radar was off for maintenance :=:=:=
The markets - all of them were pretty good
The great variety of restaurants
Airconditioning in Casuarina Shopping centre - all the women got your attention.
Plenty of great memories, but that will do for now.

halas
25th Jan 2008, 15:46
Heady days indeed.

Arrmunda airways and the accountant who was bleeding the Gagaju Aboriginal Association dry that owned. Steve ? CP.

George Washington CP Air North when Hardy was running the show. His daughter had big assets - Jane.

Ron Malavisi - Top bloke. New him when he was in Lloyds

Paul Ragget - He was over here in the pit doing his 777 endorsement. Tried to get him out for last years OZ day doo and he had pissed off already.

Mark Kapusta - saw his name on the joiners list here and has also gone.

Ron B... Last saw him in the Derby 1995 doing a check on some-one.

Weymouth J worked for him for a while Not sure what he is doing now.

Amman - Their ex -CP works for EK now on the bus.

Eddie Keen - anyone know?

Miller Bob - Flew RNL a few times. What a pleasure - as far as he thought. Never stayed over!!!!

John Biffo. Last l heard (10 years now) with Skywest

Spinner is with EK and still instructing on the 777

Penny Hanerahan came over here for interviews and did very well apparently though it was vetoed from above as they did not hire chicks back then.

Kerry P. What is he up to now?

Peter Condon - Top bloke went down to Nowra towing targets ex 75th. Is he doing well?

Have to stop and getting too emotive:{

halas

halas
25th Jan 2008, 16:15
Steve Styles! Hey? Now what happened to him?

halas

pithblot
25th Jan 2008, 17:52
Marg Fuller....NTAMS Flight Nurse in the Nomads when Air North had the contract. Marg was still there with Pearl in the early 2000s I think.

Marg often used to bring one or two small fury friends on the flights (in an esky, wrapped in sox).

flying-spike
25th Jan 2008, 19:19
Eddie K is with Jet* (A320 C&T) I think
Stuart A (Ex Air Nth,Police AW, Arnhem), RFDS WA
Chris (Wagners, Falcon, B200,R44)

tinpis
25th Jan 2008, 20:28
fp
When Ozzie asked me to paint feet on the scales so the locals would stand on them properly. I did, PT. Keats style...3 toes on one foot and 6 on the other. He didn't see the humour in it!

I did , still chuckling.That would have been too subtle for Ozzy.

Remember "Blacky"? around the aviation scene for years .Refueler ,observer for NTAW, ran the radio and office on Troughton (Troffton) for Lloyds.Never drank beer unless the day ended with a "Y" Now in CNS.
NTAW at the end of its days operated a B200 for Ansett NT Alice to the Rock. It would have provided jobs but the feds wouldnt allow it to be crewed by anyone other than dads army from DN so it was shelved.
The mighty Tracker parked by the fence? And the Connellan Heron.Henke ferried it south somewhere.

Have a good Orstaya day
Or Invasion Day if you like.:ok:

bush mechanics
25th Jan 2008, 20:52
The Skyport V Airnorth cricket match.Skyport was operating C441 LEM on the centre run and Shorts 330 HUS was going to Truscot or was it Troughton island.
I made the trophy for the cricket match C210 prop blade and a cricket ball stuck to it and i think its still in Airnorths offices today.John Hardy had the BBQ and KEG trailer parked on the boundry.Best cricket match ever and yes Skyport were the victers!!The match did end up in a all in brawl and i remeber ankle tapping someone from behind.When i hepled him up spitting grass from his mouth that it was John Hardy.Not long after that Roger and John took over Airnorth.
WMP and TET were purchase by Airnorth and ended up in ASP.TET was painted and sold before entering service to a guy who walked in of the street and WMP is still going strong for Chartair,C210s TFF,LTB,WMP,IDZ,NQP all have over 20.000 hours on them.VH-HZL will shortly go back into service.C402s TZH and TFM(back in TNK aeromed)and CAJ doing mailruns out west and to Kalgoolie

triadic
25th Jan 2008, 22:28
Ron Malavisi - Top bloke. New him when he was in Lloyds

Now with QF - 737 Capt

Kerry P. What is he up to now?

If that is the Kerry P that used to be one of Ozzie's CPs, then he is a QF Capt on the 747-400 Married Chris Hayes, mentioned previously

Peter Condon - Top bloke went down to Nowra towing targets ex 75th. Is he doing well?

Recently retired I understand (??)

Then there was the pub over the road, in Winnellie, in the street just back from the Shell station - they used to have strippers there on Thur evenings. If you wore more than stubbies, singlet and thongs, you were over dressed. They used to clean the place with a fire hose at the end of the nite. A bit like the "cage" without the bars!!

What about the night that Trev took a bet and flew his r/c chopper down from DGA to the aero club and landed it on the beer table under that big tree.

Hodgy thought he could up the attendance at the club on some nights by having a topless barmaid ! Not apreciated by all the members I recall, but there were lots of drinkers.

yeah - good thread

flying-spike
25th Jan 2008, 22:51
There was a Kerry P that nearly backed the LLoyds 212 over the bund into the drain during a ground run. Went to Air North then to parts unknown. Always angry and not shy of letting loose a stream of expletives in front of women. Not sure he was ever an Arnhems chief pilot though. The two prior to me were Nick Buckvic (for a couple of weeks) and the infamous Warren (worth another thread!)

tinpis
25th Jan 2008, 23:14
KP still with Air North I thought?

triadic
25th Jan 2008, 23:41
Kerry Pearce was CP with Ozzie early 80's. Then went to Port Lincoln and ADL.
Now with QF.

Seems like there is another KP ??

The Voice
25th Jan 2008, 23:43
the luminary KP from Airnorth used to be at the Police AW must be pretty close to 'retiring' from there!

Lords know he's been talking about it forever!

flying-spike
25th Jan 2008, 23:48
Yep, not sure he would have the "social skills" for QF....But then they did take Warren! Now there is a larrikin He called me up there in the first place, I had not long been out of "the dept" and when I got to Arnhems and sat down in the waiting room next to an old bloke who was slanging off at them. I agreed with him and he aked what I did before flying. I told him I wan an FSO but had enough of the Dept and told them to shove it. He turned to Warren and told him to give me a job! Two things he hated, the dept. and anybody who crossed his runs.

flying-spike
25th Jan 2008, 23:58
The KP i'm talking about was Kerry Provis.

Iinthesky
26th Jan 2008, 00:16
The (in)famous KP has gracefully slid into retirement. Apparently has left Darwin for pastures unknown.

Stationair8
26th Jan 2008, 02:25
Wazza another one of Ossies CP, left to go to Qantas.
Didn't he get thumped or bashed at a night club down in Sydney while doing his Qantas ground school?

Kerry Provis is flying the ERJ170, I don't think he will be retiring just yet. Kerry sets a very high high standard, might have a mouth like a sewer but he will keep get the jet operation squeaky clean.

A few of the Tillair aces were a bit filthy when Roger Leach bought the business from John Tilley, after all the Tillair pilots were all superior to Skyport scum. Remember no one would fly the Caravan when they first got it, bet a few Tillair boys used to get dark having to fly the C207 VH-UBW out to Groote with fresh meat on one John's little contracts.

SKywest you had no real chance unless daddy was a senior Ansett skipper.

Greg Hardy was a boy on the hangar floor at Airnorth, and a pretty good spanner man.

I bet Airnorth were dark they had sold VH-CAN in early 1989, would have been a money making machine in the dispute.

Dog One
26th Jan 2008, 02:30
Understand KP retired from AirNorth this week. He was flying the Metros on the TRuscott run. Never made it on to the 170

Stationair8
26th Jan 2008, 02:36
You might want to check your facts Dog one!

RENURPP
26th Jan 2008, 02:44
I didn't think Provis made it to the JJ either, hope he did finally get a go.

flying-spike
26th Jan 2008, 03:59
Legend has it Wazza also got sprung spanking the monkey in the CRF. Not the type of guy to stay out of trouble for too long!

Stationair8
26th Jan 2008, 05:58
Phoned a mate in DRW, talk on the airport Kerry is retiring from AirNorth but moving over to fly for an operator on the East coast that operate some very nice equipment. Hope Bridgey put some money on the bar for a few drinks.

Anyone remember when Bridgey was a boy down at the rock for Roger?

Wazza must be a captain in Qantas by now?

Flick chemicals employed pilots to doing pest spraying out in the remote communities.

The lucrative trade of back charters.

Ringing up KFC in Darwin and giving them a standard order a day or so in advance, very good markup in the old KFC.

No one has mentioned the mob out of Darwin that had the Baron with Duke engines for high altitude aerial photography, they had an office in Knuckey St in the city.

A couple of other things about Darwin in the 80's
1. Palmerston was no more than a few houses down the track from Darwin,
2. Darwin still had a Drive-in movies,
3. Long soxers from CB
4. Flying for an operator, and on your days off working in town for somebody else under a different name. Just saved hassles for all concerned.
5. Being allowed to drink over at the RAAF base.

Richo
26th Jan 2008, 06:05
Pithblot

Marg was still with NTAMS when I left in 04. Had many a joey/ bat ETC on the aeromed flights. Marg had to be very carefull in keeping them hidden in the aircraft, and not because the bosses cared, but because the locals.......

While we are on NTAMS where did Jeff J end up after AERORESCUE, just having fun I suppose?

Chocks Away
26th Jan 2008, 06:10
Airnorth Vs Skyport Cricket match...Skyport were the victers!!The match did end up in a all in brawl

Arh... no it didn't. The Inaugural Cricket Match, to welcome the joining of the 2 companies ended with more beers, off John's Hash-House trailor, speaches and prizes... very amicable with family and partners along also.
Roger Leach was umpire too (prone to amber fluid bribes on field:))
There were no brawls. Maybe at the latter Airnorth Vs G.A./RAAF games???

Nunc
26th Jan 2008, 07:13
Anyone know what Roberto T from Arnhems (Circa 1985) is up to these days?

Stationair8
26th Jan 2008, 07:41
The joy of calling Darwin Flight Service on HF and getting them to ring the company engineer about a problem you had with the aircraft, getting the message relayed back on what to do. Even more fun if your HF didn't have the Darwin frequencies and you had to go through Cairns or Perth.

I found when I went back down south, some of the chief pilots and even some of the CAA guys treated you with contempt. One of the CAA guys told me that he told the chief pilot to keep a close eye on me as most people from the NT had an attitude problem and generally poor flying skills, compared to those who flew in the big smoke down south. I applied to another company and the chief pilot said we don't employ anyone from the NT.

Did anyone ever see a copy of Armunda Airways NDB approach for Jabiru using the radio station.

Remember the old CAR that limited you to flying over an airline route, once every 28 days. Old Ossie would be over getting the strips from flight service to see who was flying over his routes. A few good good clashes on frequency between Arnhems and Ammans boys.

Richo
26th Jan 2008, 09:31
S8
The company with the T56 Barron (56 body with Duke motors and wings) was Airesearch and mapping, they had two of those things AEA and SGV, one now resides in the Midland TAFE aero eng training room in Perth. The main pilot was Roger (i think) and the Nav/ camera operator Craig McPherson, now in Katherine.

clear to land
26th Jan 2008, 13:28
Peter Stapleton is also in DXB on the 777.:)

tinpis
26th Jan 2008, 21:35
Stationair
most people from the NT had an attitude problem
And you would dispute that? :}

AEA was in PNG when it is was brand new in 1971 for QASCO Air Survey
A wing blew off in the TALAIR hangar when a tank ignited during maintenance !
Anybody heard of Dave McCormack? Also another AA pilot had an Indonesion wife?

Stationair8
27th Jan 2008, 03:24
No it was just interesting to go back south, some CAA people believed that only people who flew in NSW or Vic knew how to operate those aeroplane thingys. The said examiner also had a problem with anyone who flew in PNG as well, probably didn't like anyone who flew in Tasmania or WA. I later found out that he got a got a knockback from AirNorth, mention John Hardy's name in front off him and he went off his little rocker.

Tinnpis perhaps they should rename the Northern Territory the Nanny Territory, ever since Clare came to power the world has changed:
1. Speed limited to 110 km/h on the open road,
2. Redlight cameras
3. Vehicle Inspections.
Wasn't like that when the CLP were in power!!!!
Next they be running courses on excessive alcohol consumption.

The other great NT thing Impaja Television.

morno
27th Jan 2008, 04:28
The speed limit is 130Km/h Stationair.

And Imparja, great?? You're kidding right? :hmm:

morno

tinpis
27th Jan 2008, 05:07
And now red light cameras but we can probably rely on the Caz boyz to vandalise those. :uhoh:

And yer forgot Darwhine just ranked the 40th most expensive city in the world along with Chicago Ill.

Richo
27th Jan 2008, 09:56
40th, wow how do you live on that pension up there tinny

How about,

Mub crab tieng comps, the truly established pilot performance and endurance exercise known as the CAS Crawl. living in Pilot cliff or pilot creek.

The tallest building in town was the hospital, but the old adage "if in pain, catch a plane" was ohh so true.

A beer in the 303 Bar at Adelaide river and a swim in Rum Jungle Lake.
That always left a healthy glow on you.

richo

bush mechanics
27th Jan 2008, 12:11
Chocks away,poor choice of words on my part,it wasnt a all in brawl more a play fight with us (skyport)fielding jumping the Airnorth batsmen as they left the field..
Stationair,Bridgey at the Rock,He was Skyport scum as you nicely mentioned in one of your posts.Dogone is correct KP never flew the 170,He spent his last days in the pencil.Now somewhere in Germany chaseing some fluff!!

pithblot
27th Jan 2008, 19:10
Morno: I don´t know about IMPARJA being so great....but what about that show they made called, I think, BUSH MECHANICS! Just amazing :}

Richo: Thanks, Marg was great. And ´because the locals`.... get hungry too

Airsearch, bought out by Fugro and AEA is in pieces in the hanger at Archerfield now, being used to train apprentices, but still looks like a B55 with grunt! Peter Tomlinson is retired, Scott is still about and so is the former RAAF bloke who was the CP (can´t remember his name), Craig McP is a whalloper now somewhere.

What about the Mansions - I´d rather not remember them.

Stationair8
27th Jan 2008, 20:07
Hey Tinnpis , does that include living cost for "long grassers" or only for the well heeled like yourself who live at Fanny Bay or Cullen Bay?

I can remember when Darwin CBD did not have parking meters.

Is the Barra base still going? What about Wildman safari camp?

tinpis
27th Jan 2008, 20:52
Not only before parking meters but no hi-rise except the Travel Lodge
Betting shops in Cavenagh street the old rissole with pissed public servants in long socks Greek Club,old chinatown cafes
Queues of people at the pay phones that were giving free interstate calls :rolleyes: The old transit centre and the old hospital ex nurse quarters is where most pilots camped
The "Queen Mother" and friends doing the public dunny crawl....:uhoh:
The old casino in the "Don" .Parap markets first weekend...Mindil the same...
The "Mansions" and Rogers caravan park next to it :yuk:
In short Darwhine LOOKED LIKE **** but under the skin was ok and fun :ok:
I meet folks almost every month from those days that have "gone finish" and are drifting back north.

Like all good things it is slowly but surely ending

The Voice
27th Jan 2008, 21:03
Barra Base and Wildman - nope (well at least as I knew them way back then)

Barra Base became a commercial barra fishery which last year had a problem with Wilma and marauding sharks that got into the net cages .. oh and strong currents would wash them over the top of the cages - went bankrupt I believe.

Wildman I knew was a camp for wayward kids - and that's long defunct .. (they should bring it back! but that's another story)

I think that occasionally there are charters and stuff going on thru' the areas ..

confession time .. I guess my long held theory that Tinny = KP has been destroyed .. :O

tinpis
27th Jan 2008, 21:09
confession time .. I guess my long held theory that Tinny = KP has been destroyed ..

wash yer mouth out !

I knew KP when he was a bowser boy in Broken Hill

I deny whoever it is yer think I am

Tin did a lot of fishing with luminaries such as Alex J**** to see if the barra base could be a goer
Had me honeymoon at the Wildman not the norty boys camp either it was one of Wimrays projects

Edited to add I have never had connection in any way shape or form with Wimray.

flying-spike
27th Jan 2008, 21:43
Jeeez Tinny, Even I would take offence at that connection!

OpsNormal
27th Jan 2008, 21:49
Barra Base and Wildman - nope (well at least as I knew them way back then)

Barra Base became a commercial barra fishery which last year had a problem with Wilma and marauding sharks that got into the net cages....

Used to enjoy Barra Base strip launching off over the bay.

The Voice, I thought that may have been the case when we were living up there, so I asked him outright..... nope.:(:(

The Voice
27th Jan 2008, 21:56
I knew I should have sought counsel .. oh well! :\

Hey OpsN.. how's life on the east coast?

I gave up trying to work out who Tinny was years ago and came up with the theory so as to not destroy my brain cells any further!

OpsNormal
27th Jan 2008, 21:58
Life is good, maybe not as "interesting", but good!:}:}

flying-spike
27th Jan 2008, 22:01
Wouldn't mind catching up with Eddie K. I remembember scaring the crap out of him and Darwin ATC. I was coming back from MGD and had just got my clearance when I had an electrical fire in the panel. I had enough time to advise ATC that I was turning off all the electrics. Tried turning it on again but more smoke so started rereading ERSA on no radio procedures. Had my head down in the book when Eddie pulls up next to me in BOZ. He saw me with my head down and assumed I'd carked it! He was just about to tell the controllers when I looked up and gave him a wave! Nice to know they sent somebody out to keep an eye on me though.

Stationair8
27th Jan 2008, 22:17
Last time I saw "Spinner" was when he was flying for Flight West as a B200 FO. He has done well for himself.

Front page of the NT News "Russian Sub spotted of NT coast", one of Ammans pilots reported seeing a periscope, coming in somewhere in the AC681.

Robert Amman got a fair old bagging but the guys that worked their reckon he was a good bloke to work for.

Where is Brett "Brol"Lewis these days ex Brolga and Manningrida Progress Association? That was a very nice C310R they imported in from the USA.

Wildman camp was Wimray little money spinner, flying the likes of Max "Tangles" walker out their in PA-32 for a bit of R&R.

How is Seven Spirit Bay going?

flying-spike
27th Jan 2008, 22:24
Last time I heard of Brett he was flying the Dash 8 out to Macarthur R.

RENURPP
27th Jan 2008, 22:29
Brett is back in Darwin flying the 717

flying-spike
27th Jan 2008, 22:39
I don't feel so bad now that I have heard about Amman seeing submarines!
I saw a tidal wave (note the term tidal wave, i.e. not a Tsumnami) perpendicular to the Darwin-Croker track. I t must have been a couple of metres high, a standing wave due to the King tide. Pax saw it and there were boats in the area so I reported it to FS. Got to MGD and got told the ABC wanted to interview me when I got back to Dwn. Silly Fockers thought it was a Tsunami and evacuated Nightcliff and Casuarina schools. What a beat up. Caused a few surfers to drive north though looking for action!

tinpis
27th Jan 2008, 23:25
George Lucas stayed at Wildman as well
No one knew who he was...:hmm:

We got our own aliens up here.

Pinky the pilot
28th Jan 2008, 01:44
This is a most interesting thread!!:ok:

I lived in Darwin from mid 1979 to early December 81 whilst working for a major Auto spare parts company. Left to go and work on a seismic company with the aim of earning enough to do a CPL.

For the last 18 months I shared a 'tree house' with a Pilot who then worked coastwatch and through him met more than a few other pilots who worked for some of the companies mentioned by various posters.

And one person that I can truthfully say I met back then was the person who now calls himself Tinpis!:eek::uhoh::D

But unfortunately, I would'nt have a clue which one of the blokes he was/is!!

Tinny's reminiscences of Darwin in post #101 certainly bring back memories!! :ok::E

The Voice
28th Jan 2008, 03:04
well well Mr Spike ..

I have to tell you that report caused much mirth in the FSC! Even MORE the next time you flew, I recall you being asked if you could see any more big waves (or something similar) by the A-G operator! :E

Richo
28th Jan 2008, 03:08
Munt
That would be Marak Rutoski, Pearl driver now on the M23. Used to drive Migs around eastern europe, there are some great stories out there about Sabres and bad weather.

Forget the Russians and the tidal wave, though that really did get a good laugh at the time, how about the F16 spotted just out of MGD. Caused all sorts of stir in the Air defence world.

Anybody else go looking for missing WWII wrecks, there a few around. 1985? saw the loss of a Mirage out to the west of Darwin Ian Davis or Davidson, tragic loss with I believe still no wreckage or sign found.

While we are out west how about Max and the boys on Dum-in-mirrie island, talk about fishing. My mum, a dedicated no hoper with a line, bought in enough fish to feed a small country on that day. Did Max ever get the aquaculture thing happening.

I think we all have our pet theories about Tinny, mine involves a guy who is a smooth operator and a pearler of a bloke.

Close, maybe - maybe not

richo

Kanga767
28th Jan 2008, 04:35
yer, I remember the day of the Tidal Wave...

K

flying-spike
28th Jan 2008, 04:58
I do remember the question and don't worry I was having a chuckle as well! But I do have a sense of humour, after all I'm an ex FSO too:D

Stationair8
28th Jan 2008, 05:07
The old Darwin Hotel in the city, before it was pulled down.

A few more names from the past:
Dennis Salter ex Airnorth got a job with Air Nuigini,
Sue McCaulis AirNorth C402 driver,
Ian "skypig" Drennan
The bloke that worked for Air North who would go play soldiers on his annual leave.

Airnorths C421c WGS/URT

How may hours would IBJ have in his logbook? And is their strip in the NT that he did not land on. Did they have a farewell for him, it should have been advertised on Pprune.

Good to see Brett move onto the B717, how many hours in C210 did that bloke log on the freight runs?

halas
28th Jan 2008, 11:08
Sue Michaelis is now in the UK. Writing, Film Making/Producing with her partner (Not TC) and very involved with these activities in fighting for recognition of the Toxic Air in Aircraft syndrom.

Ah, Marik R. What an interesting fella. Ferrying crop dusters in Africa...

halas

Stationair8
29th Jan 2008, 09:20
So did Kerry Provis take the casting couch when he left, or did he hand that over to the next Chief Pilot?

The tidal wave would have made the NT News day, after all you can only run so many stories on crocodiles.

Sue was dubbed big tits, for obvious reasons.

So no one knows how many hours IBJ finished up with? Last time I saw he was flying the Caravan on the Bathurst Island run and enjoying life in general and studying is ATPL's.

I think from memory Gorge Washington was one of first civilian pilots to land a landplane on Lord Howe Island when the strip opened in 1977. Somewhere Connair/Connellan Airways leased or operated a Heron on the run for some time.

Stationair8
24th Dec 2008, 07:46
Does Flick still operate an aircraft these days out of darwin to do the Aboriginial communities? Used to be a means of getting a start in Darwin, the only downside was spending lots of time in the communities.

Whatever happened to old Karl that was Ossie agent at Mannigrida?

PLovett
24th Dec 2008, 08:08
S8,

Karl was still in Maningrida whenever I passed through there last year. On one ocassion I had to get him out of his cave and into the sunlight to help me refuel an aircraft. I think he visibly deteriorated every minute he was in the sun. :ok:

Stationair8
24th Dec 2008, 08:19
Well he was a U-Boat Skipper in WW2.
Did you tell him that ze war was over, and his mob lost.

Hasselhof
24th Dec 2008, 10:26
Does Flick still operate an aircraft these days out of darwin to do the Aboriginial communities?

I assume you mean Flick Pest control? Not as far as I know, however Murray Pest Control have had a franchisee flying out of Darwin for quite a while now. They used to own a Baron (could be a Travelair though, I'm honestly not sure as I've not seen it in a while) which has been rotting away slowly at various points around the northern GA for at least 8 years (could be longer).

I actually did a week of flying for them earlier this year on a C172RG and had a great time. They are still always looking for low hour pilots due to the rapid recruitment around the traps these days, and the experience / pay for a low time driver are great. In my week I did about 10 hours logbook all across Arnhem and made about $1500 cash for my troubles. Was a great refresher as I had not flown up here for at least 5 years. I think their aircraft of choice changes depending on whats available for private hire and I know that they've used a mixture of 182s 210s in the not so distant past (a mate of mine did it for about a year round about 2002 and ended up getting his spray ticket which allowed him to round up work and run trips by himself. Was a great way to earn cash and still do a couple hundred hours for the year while hitting the traps looking for his first charter gig).

As for Karl, yep he's still there. His vege garden next to the apron has fallen into decline, but his little shop at the *ahem* terminal is still going strong. I have it on good advice though to keep away from the pies....

PLovett
24th Dec 2008, 11:09
S8,

Never knew about the WW2 bit. A real survivor given the loss rate that lot suffered towards the end of the war.:eek:

The Murray Pest Control Baron 55 was looking more & more decrepit every time I visited Darwin. Mind you it didn't look that good when I was first in Darwin back in 2000.:suspect:

tinpis
24th Dec 2008, 22:51
Karl sounds like he may have been the groundsman at Gove in '73-4 when I was going in there with the P1GGs
I asked him about the Mohicans layin about all over his immaculate lawns and gardens, his reply was "Oh ja, vell it iss verboten to trap und shootz zem all ja?"

Propstop
25th Dec 2008, 05:05
Paj is a A340 captain with SQ

cogwheel
25th Dec 2008, 06:45
What a top thread. Memories a many.... top times

:ok::ok:

300Series
26th Dec 2008, 03:27
Karl is still alive and kicking in Maningrida! He has been there for 37 years. Almost blind aswell as a lot of other health problems. He ran away from the WWII from germany and came to Maningrida. He showed me a spot on his head the other day where he was shot and the bullet knicked the side of his head. had it not been for his helmet...

tinpis
27th Dec 2008, 00:08
Pest control in communities?
Plenty work around the city....:hmm:

Hasselhof
27th Dec 2008, 01:16
Pest control in communities?

Tell you what though, I reckon I learnt more about life in a community in my week spraying houses than I have in the six months I've spent since living in one. Some scary sh!t out there

tinpis
27th Dec 2008, 01:41
Youve seen whole rooms HEAVE and run off Hass?

Hasselhof
27th Dec 2008, 02:16
Pretty much. Maggots and roaches having a field day in the food left on mattresses that I wouldn't consider fit for a dog. Rats rats rats and more rats. I still shudder when I think of the kitchen and the bathroom in one of the houses. I've done a fair amount of community work as a personal carer in some dirt poor areas in one of our capital cities and never saw anything like it until I got to YMGD. :yuk:

I'll be the first to admit that those conditions are far from universal, yet even just one house (with 15 inhabitants) with those conditions would be unacceptable anywhere else in this country.

Cravenmorehead
27th Dec 2008, 05:35
What ever happened to Bob Miller, I lost track of him when he left Darwin.

boocs
27th Dec 2008, 11:50
How about some photos??

Fluke
27th Dec 2008, 15:18
Enjoyed the thread, many memories !

Had a good catch up with Eddie Keen and Bolle (RG), G English and other Darwin old boys at the College Lawn in Melbourne, November. As usual Eddie left early and thats all I remember !

I was with A North 89-91 and while mostly in Katherine, recall excellent feeds at the BARTAS social club on Groote, Linda and the ANorth crew house in DRW, the Timber Creek races fly in, and sadly searching for Fox's FA18.

Regards Diggers

Pluto's gone
28th Dec 2008, 00:18
Not to forget the Tute back in its heyday!

Oh and my hasn't the city skyline changed, Darwin has grown upwards and outwards. Nearly unrecogniseable if not for the heat.

Chief Erwin
29th Dec 2008, 00:53
I was there in the early nineties:
Canonball run with the warf having all the cars for their inspection then to the quarter mile drags.
Racing a go cart around the tie downs then hiding back in execs hangar with airport security on the hunt for the people responsible.
Pilots and engineers on the wings, fues of a queenair with the strippers flaunting all.
Destitute pawn and prwn nights.
Bonent surfing on someones valiant from the hangar to the destitute and falling off a few times.
Having a random walk up to you in the streets and ask if you want to buy or if have any weed.
Endless cartoons of crownies on friday nights at execs office.
Indoor cricket with the guys from rossair.
Drinking more then I ever had and paying for less alcohol then I ever have or will.
Talking my way out of trafic offences. (which you could back then)
When slaves were the normal right of passage and you enjoyed it without the whine.
Fishing in Lee creek going past croc traps bigger then your boat.
Jock rot, we all had it.
Animal bar at Gove.(Scary s#@t)

Well thats my memories.

CE

Stationair8
2nd Mar 2009, 06:01
What ever happened to Skypig from Air North?

Howabout
2nd Mar 2009, 07:10
What a bunch of memories! I remember being told about the guys in the tower racing down as an Air North (I think) Chieftan was taxying past on Alpha with a bunch of tourists on board who'd just been out Kakadu way. The boys, apparently, had made up score-cards, like they have at the diving at the Olyimpics. They raised scores, right on the edge of the taxyway, in succession, of 6 out of 10, 7 and 3 related to the landing. When asked by the tourists "what was that all about?' the pilot, who went on to fly with TAA, said "they're my mates and they always update me on the cricket score."

I think the guy was known as "Maddo", but can't be sure.

tinpis
2nd Mar 2009, 09:44
Dont remember a Chiefy at Airnort ?

the wizard of auz
2nd Mar 2009, 10:52
High altitude would have been a Kindergarten thug.
Bwahahahaaaa. I near wet me self when I read that. :}:ok:

Hasselhof
2nd Mar 2009, 11:19
What ever happened to Skypig from Air North?

He was *ahem* running the flying school in Darwin for a while. And then it ran into the ground, he disappeared never to be seen again (circa 2003) and JH took the place over completely.

Last I heard was he lost his medical and was involved with BP down in south australia, but that was just a rumour.

Stationair8
2nd Mar 2009, 21:37
No truth in the story that he was put on a diet by his wife, but was frequently seen at KFC in Casuarina?

Anyone remember the Tillair Caravan's callsign?

Howabout
3rd Mar 2009, 06:13
It was either a Chieftan or Nav, but I may have got the company wrong. NTAS maybe? I know that there were at least a couple there during that period, plus a BE55, the callsign which I am grasping for, that used to climb like a homesick angel. Anyone remember that aircraft?

tinpis
3rd Mar 2009, 09:13
It was more likely to have been Ozzies beloved VH-SAO
Cant recall the Beech sorry but there where a few side-shows running through the 80's. :rolleyes:

triadic
3rd Mar 2009, 09:24
This event was mentioned in a previous post.

When an Air France Concord stayed over night and the 75 Sqn MIRs escorted it out of town, via about 3 passes over the drome.... outstanding. Would have been about '86 give or take a year (?).

http://i460.photobucket.com/albums/qq325/hangar6/ConcordMIRDRW.jpg

Weary
4th Mar 2009, 00:03
Great thread, great memories....

George Washington sadly finished his career with Air North after nearly parking a C404 in the drink off Troughton Island. Mitigating circumstances, to a degree....I remember talking to him before he left A.N. - he was reflecting on the irony of starting his flying career on the latest high tech birds (F4U Corsairs in N.Z.) - and finishing it on decidedly low tech ones.....
IBJ is a man I had great respect for - a real sage on Life, the Universe, and Everything. A man who knew how to be humble, even if you come from money - I think I still owe him some beers!!
Sad to hear about Slim - another gentleman.
What happened to Morrie Gueye (spelling?)
I shall contact Paul Raggatt and let him know that he is in someone's thoughts - for the record, he is flying Brazilias out of Perth.
I am surprised nobody has mentioned Terry Bird (RIP). I remember you buddy, just starting out, and paying the ultimate price for your passion.

Hey - Simon B - I was your wing-man when you went down in flames. And I was very, very nearly the second accident on that day.

Fluke - its been a long time - I was the man who told SkyPig the joke about the guy with only one ball. BAD career move.

It was a world ago for me, so many names that I had forgotten.........

tinpis
4th Mar 2009, 04:54
"George" Washington actually ferried and parked a lot of thses birds in 1947
:(

http://www.aerohub.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/wral47.jpg

Howabout
4th Mar 2009, 05:45
tinpis, would that have been the PA-31, known as "the biscuit", that may have had more airframe hours than any other, was resprayed on a number of ocassions to make it look like a brand-spanker for the tourists, and holds the record for wheels-ups??

Stationair8
4th Mar 2009, 08:15
What ever happened to Dave Cooper who was Air North's ops manager in the 80's?

tinpis
4th Mar 2009, 09:13
Howabout, yes with the big buffalo head and horns painted on the tail.
Christ, how many pilots flew that old bugger?

Stationair8
4th Mar 2009, 09:42
About the same number that Ossie sacked!

Did old Ossie have the record for the first cabin class twin in the NT?

Nunc
4th Mar 2009, 09:51
Anyone know whatever happened to Roberto from Arnhems circa 1985.

Weary
4th Mar 2009, 10:50
Stationair8 -

Dave Cooper went to work for Skipper's Aviation in Perth flying the BE200s. Unfortunately he was, ahh, released from his employment folllowing an incident. That is the last I heard of him.
Can anyone provide further info of the passing of Slim Rossier or Ivan Duncan?
And what happened to Kim Koch after the C402 incident and the CAA?

tinpis
4th Mar 2009, 18:23
Did old Ossie have the record for the first cabin class twin in the NT?
I dunno. Would count you Ansons and Beech-18s as cabin class?

Stationair8
4th Mar 2009, 19:58
Weary, unfortunately Ivan Duncan passed away a few years ago.

At the time he was with Pearl on the B200's doing the aeromed work out of Darwin.

tinpis
5th Mar 2009, 00:46
Gundy, who wouldnt get a lot of change out of 75, is still peddling dodgy antiques, and still wearing whats left of his collected uniforms I'll bet :p

HarveyGee
5th Mar 2009, 04:55
Stationair8

Tillair's Caravan was VH-TFT

Stationair8
5th Mar 2009, 05:35
Thanks for that.

What happened to the Caravan after Air North took over Tillair?

Remember a number of the Tillair guys not wanting to fly it as it didn't go in the multi column of the log book.

When I was first in Darwin I met one of the Air North DC-3 drivers and he had a laugh about none of the young blokes wanting to go onto the DC-3, as is was beneath them to fly the old girl. I quickly prodeuced my resume and offered my services, but to no avail. He also told the story about some of the C402 drivers being made to fly the C210 under sufferance but they wouldn't put it in the logbook as it wouldn't look good at the airline interview.

Anyone remember the name of the guy who was in the Royal Australian Navy, and was a mate of John Hardy's or Dave Cooper and used to do some VFR charters in the C210 out to Kakadu or Tiwi Islands?

Anyone ever get a gig as a F/O on the Lloyds Bandeirante, they always seemed to be advertising in The Australian?

flying-spike
5th Mar 2009, 06:40
Isn't that where Ron Malev....... went?

Pedota
5th Mar 2009, 07:59
Does anyone know where Roger Ruddick has ended up . . . I went to school with him in Perth in the 60s. Last I heard he was flying with the NT Police.

Cheers

Pedota

Richo
5th Mar 2009, 10:50
Nuc

Little Robert Tinus from ARNHEMS went to Singapore Flying College in Singapore where he worked for quite a while as the CFI of the C172 flying training. I don't know where he went after 99.

Ronarto Malavisi (RTW) to his mates is a skipper with the Q on 737's

S8 the navy guy was a reservist I think, first name was Tony ..... he also flew the Pawnee at Batchelor for the gliding club

Skypig was still in Darwin in in 2003 when I was last there, flying at Hardy's I think.

Ivan was a top bloke and good friend, he passed very quickly from a late diagnosis of cancer. Sad day for many of us.

Bob Miller had a 55 baron in Darwin VH-RNL and Bex Johnston also had a 55 that he used to carry crabs around in. From memory all the helimuster ones were 58's. There was another operator in the mid 80's in the rotors hanger just next to Arnhems, they uesd to have few barrons as well.

Richo

cogwheel
5th Mar 2009, 11:13
Big Roger is with the RFDS (Qld) based in CV.

olderairhead
6th Mar 2009, 11:34
Ossie had a B55 - TOV. Highest houred baron around. Leaked like a seive when flying in rain.

And he had IXA the aerostar, IXP the cheiftan, SAO of course named after Shirley Ann Osgood, ECO the partenavia named after Edward Charlie Osgood, IXD another partenavia (both ex coastwatch). Cheese and vegemite sandwitches were provided by Shirley to the crew EVERY day. That way they could not claim any allowances. And then there was his old Aztec, but I would prefer not to talk about that.

And the Pitts!

tinpis
6th Mar 2009, 20:01
All in all over the years Darwhine has been a successful hot house (pun, geddit?) for the cultivation of a reasonably decent sort of pilot.

Dog One
7th Mar 2009, 04:57
When IBJ retired from Airnorth, Maurie Gue moved up to #1 on the seniority list. Understand he is on the M23 fleet.

Stationair8
7th Mar 2009, 04:58
Maurie Gau is still with Air North and seems to be still into his photography, some of his pictures grace the ABC weather and the NT News.

What year did Amman get the Coastwatch contract was it 1987 or 1988?

Remember Air North operating the Fokker F-27's during the dispute?

Had a look through some old files, and came across a job advert from the NT News for Air North looking for C402 Pilots in September 1989, Total time 700 hours and 150 hours multi and current IFR rating and another one for pilots for Skywest 1000 hours total, 300 multi, 50 hours night and SCPL subjects.

Weary
7th Mar 2009, 20:30
I think it was 1988. What a debacle that was.....:rolleyes:

Stationair8
8th Mar 2009, 23:50
What were Tillair going use the Caravan for, scenics at Ayers Rock or for some of the RPT runs?

flying-spike
9th Mar 2009, 03:15
JWH -Navajo
JNX - Chieftain
LGI - Chieftain
FCH - C172
FCQ - C172
JMF - C182RG

Stationair8
9th Mar 2009, 12:45
Did Arnhem's operate the Aerostar IXA or was that owned by the engineering firm Sleaman, Duncan and Treacy?

What happened to some of the Darwin FSU guys and gals?

Weary
9th Mar 2009, 13:19
In my dim memory of a conversation I had with Geoff Browne, he suggested the caravan was an experiment by Tillair in joining the pressure groups of the day that wanted the CAA to acquiesce to IFR RPT in modern turbine singles. But my experience of John Tilley suggests that he was not the "noble cause" sort of guy - more likely he had other work for it anyway (frieght, I suspect..). Nevertheless, I would be betting he was also more than a little curious anyway, as to whether the CAA would cave in to those that were, shall we say, more idealogical.

Weary
9th Mar 2009, 13:28
I think the Darwin FSOs and some ATC either took redundancy, or elected to move to Brisbane.

tinpis
9th Mar 2009, 19:08
Anyone know where Dave McC...ick is?

The Voice
9th Mar 2009, 20:53
What happened to some of the Darwin FSU guys and gals

like who?

Unfortunately some have canx SAR over the years ..

tinpis
9th Mar 2009, 23:16
What happened to some of the Darwin FSU guys and gals

AJ is still in Darwhine....:)

kotaatok
27th Sep 2009, 22:53
Ray Allwright and Wim Van den Herick. Wim sold out in the early eighties and Noel Bleakley came in as business partner. Noel would fly sometimes.

kotaatok
27th Sep 2009, 23:03
Sorry I was the sucker responsible for programming that one for NTPFS. That was a CLP initiative 2 years before Labour. Programming was my other job when not in GA.

tinpis
28th Sep 2009, 02:21
If you were here twenty years ago, go stand on the Daly street bridge look at the skyline, and tell me what you recognise.

Every thing is still a bloody rip off, bodged up or hopelessly second class and expensive though. :ok:

CharlieLimaX-Ray
25th Oct 2009, 08:19
Talking with a guy that worked as a stockbroker in Darwin in the post Clyclone Tracey and into the very early 1980's , and he said they did a fair few trips south in the Wards Learjet with urgent documentation etc.

Nothing unusual to finish work and race to the airport and fly south to Adelaide or Melbourne in the Learjet with share paperwork or other documentation that was required in a hurry.

tinpis
25th Oct 2009, 08:53
Wards theres an old memory
Whatever happened to those guys?

Howabout
27th Oct 2009, 04:43
Tinpis,

Not wrong on the observation of the Darwin skyline. As a pre-cyclone kid and later, post-cyclone, back there to work, I was amazed at the changes during a recent visit. All for the worst in my opinion. Unfortunately, the NT on my ident stands for Not There anymore. Or, maybe it's somewhat fortunate - I found it a little hard to identify with my previous three residencies (60's, late 70's, late 80's). The last time, in the late 80's/early 90's, it was getting too big IMHO. Now it's pretty much the same as everywhere else with the humidity. It's lost its character.

There's that atrocity of a residential development at Cullen Bay, sprawling northern suburbs, crocs getting picked out of Berry Springs when anything in the harbour would have had a 303 round through its head once (bleeding heart greenies). I went and saw where we, as kids, used to spend all our spare time in the water down at Fannie Bay and Mindil Beach; but there's no way I'd go in the water now.

I don't mind the buggers having free roam of Arnhem Land, but I'd blow them into the next testament within 100Ks of Darwin. Saurian extinction, in my opinion, is a bit like climate change.

You also, to my eternal horror, lost one of the best little aero clubs on the planet. I spent many a good night in that place when it was on the south side. 'Commercial reality' destroyed a Darwin icon. An uncle of mine was the first CFI - '65 I think.

Anyway, I'm a dinosaur - what would I know?

the air up there
27th Oct 2009, 11:39
Just like to say, that while i'm a youngun, I am loving sitting back reading about times past. Certainly sounds more exciting than Darwin today.

Keep the stories coming guys.

Howabout, i agree with your thoughts on crocodylus porusus. :ok:

OZFURYFAN
27th Oct 2009, 12:04
IXA was Ossies,IXG was Sleemans.AEA,haven't seen that for a while,I remember a pilot for Airresearch called Johnson who removed a chock from the nosewheel of AEA whilst parked on the hill outside the DGA hangar,of course it rolled and he grabbed the nosewheel to stop it.I didn't think a human hand could fit between the wheel & hockey stick but from the scars it did!!!And the Pitts,I had a flight in that which ended up in a collision with a Lazer(VH-KGZ) on the runway intersection,talk about knife edge at 3 feet.I still have the pics of the scene taken by the N.T.News in the album,the Lazer needed a new wing and the Pitts 2 new wings,new prop,bulk strip,and full refabric which we did in Guido's aircon room at Aerotec.arrrrrrrr,those were the days:D,cheers,Pete

tinpis
27th Oct 2009, 21:47
Howabout agree :ok:
While not an aero club fan much time was spent at Sailing club and the Stella Maris :E

An article in the weekend OZ caught my eye The failed state | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26247511-28737,00.html)

No surprise, then, that a large media army is at the service of the state sector. The Territory government and its various departments employ 109 journalists and spin doctors, at a cost of more than $9 million a year, to communicate its various upbeat messages and exalt the "RTL" (relaxed Territory lifestyle).

While I cant say i agree with Rotters sentiments entirely, its pretty much on the money

OZFURY the chap working on Guidos first Fury ( Jerry Luck hangar southside) I seem to recall buying his wifes Honda 4 bike

hrtpaul
2nd Dec 2009, 03:32
Kicka$$n thread guys. I'm homesick as hell now. I started my apprenticeship at Rossair in '90 but heaps of work experience (slave labour?) before that. Kieth Boulby gave me my first job in aviation as an apprentice. So many names have been brought up that I had sadly forgotten about. I can't wait to go back again. I agree Darwin has changed too much but thats progress unfortunately. It will still always be home for me. Ahh the good old days rock. Bart

CharlieLimaX-Ray
2nd Dec 2009, 08:31
Looking through some old aviation magazines and come across an article about Air North purchasing, DC-3 VH-MWQ(ex-Setair) at an auction in Melbourne in 1983 for the sum of $17,000.

Wonder who got the lucky job of ferrying her back to Darwin?

Dog One
2nd Dec 2009, 09:05
I believe it was George Washington and John Hardy.

tinpis
2nd Dec 2009, 22:37
1983 George would have still been with NTAW
More likely Charley.

cogwheel
3rd Dec 2009, 02:54
I thought NTAW had died by 83?? Cant recall now....

hrtpaul
3rd Dec 2009, 20:16
VH-MWQ is now a Kingair B200 that I work on at the RFDS. Can anyone tell me if Hardy's DC-3 VH-MMA is still flying in Darwin. When I first started, no one wanted to work on her because she was old and dirty. Myself and Bob Harrison used to look after her and spent a great deal of time doing it. Still the best aircraft I've ever worked on :)

tinpis
3rd Dec 2009, 21:23
According to my log still flying N24 for NTAW Oct 1984

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VH-MWQ

Sold to Air North Pty Ltd for $17,000 - July 28, 1983

Rebuilt at an estimated cost of $150,000

Reregistered as VH-MMA - November 15, 1983

Registered to Air North Pty Ltd

Utilised during the pilot's dispute for charters to / from the Argyle Diamond Mine

Repainted into new Air North livery - February 1990

Participated in memorial fly-past over Darwin to mark 50th Anniversary of Darwin bombing - February 19, 1992

Repainted into all-silver livery of Henry & Walker - 1992

Dog One
3rd Dec 2009, 21:50
Now operated by Hardy Aviation and still flying.

tinpis
3rd Dec 2009, 21:54
Bob Harrison. Passed many years ago

Keith Boulby Still the same Keith, retired in QSDL

Pedota
3rd Dec 2009, 22:18
Hrtpaul said . . .

Can anyone tell me if Hardy's DC-3 VH-MMA is still flying in Darwin. When I first started, no one wanted to work on her because she was old and dirty. Myself and Bob Harrison used to look after her and spent a great deal of time doing it. Still the best aircraft I've ever worked on

Apologies for the slight thread drift, but Hrtpaul’s mention of VH-MMA reminded me that I flew on this aircraft between Perth and Port Hedland as a 10 year old (still got the photo!) in 1961. The flight took all day and went via Geraldton, Carnarvon, Onslow, Mardie and Roebourne. Believe it or not, I was invited to stand in the cockpit for some of the take-offs and landings – and this really gave me the aviation bug forever!

I did see the aircraft at Darwin in about 1997 . . . and managed to talk my way inside. Brought back wonderful memories.

Cheers

hrtpaul
7th Dec 2009, 19:05
Sad to here about Bobby Harrison. Him and Keith were great engineers. I'd kill to know half of what they knew :)

tinpis
7th Dec 2009, 19:26
I'd kill to know half of what they knew

Call in and see Keith in Qsld
He'll kill you with his homebrew.

Mr.Buzzy
8th Dec 2009, 07:20
Now there is a name I havent heard for a while!

I recall friday afternoons in the hangar at Executive Air with such terrific blokes as Keith Boulby, Alan McLeod, Bill Thoms, Lofty, Ross and others. All bull****ting and chugging away at tallies of "Keith Boulby's Fluid Ten"

I was fresh out of my own apprenticeship with TN/QF when I had the good fortune of working alongside the above fellas who were only too happy to help me in a hangar where my previous training wasn't worth much.:ok::ok:

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dog One
8th Dec 2009, 21:24
Is that a young Fred F.... , the Italian stallion?

Howabout
8th Dec 2009, 22:08
One other thing, Tinny, that I didn't mention before was my shock and horror that the beautiful Hotel Darwin and my beloved Green Room had been demolished. Now that was a crime by a bunch of craven philistines.

When I arrived back on that visit, I made a beeline to the site in anticipation of having a few quiet beers in the tropical ambience, with the palms, the cane chairs and the outside gardens, only to find a bloody resort of some sort. What a damned tragedy.

As I said before, I found it hard to relate to the place anymore. Greedy developers with no appreciation for tradition. The Green Room was a lovely place, reminiscent of a Somerset Maugham novel out of the 30's. The alternative watering holes just turned out to be plastic and glass and while the Vic retained some character, it was noisy, crowded and seemed to have been taken over by the younger set - not that I begrudge them.

I just couldn't find anywhere with the same appeal. There used to be some competition when the Fannie Bay Hotel was still around, but that got blown away a long time ago.

tinpis
8th Dec 2009, 22:22
In the few years leading up to the old Hotel Darwin 1999 demise, they would have hardly sold enough beer to keep the doors open. It was a haunt for a pickled Queen Mum (Peter Morgan) and that was about it:p
They say it had cancer with lots of rubble only being held up by the plaster ceilings
I had stayed in the place a few times and can attest to it being a dank old ****-hole
Still, something similar on the site would have been nice
You dont have to be insane to go clubbing it on the Mitchell street strip nowdays, but it sure helps.

triadic
13th Jan 2010, 15:09
lotus 27

Yes, I recall the Keg fine for taking the wrong wheel out... lots of laughs that day.

Georgina S is a 767 Capt with QF - as a ex SA Cop, she was a better drinker than most of the boys back then!!

Stationair8
15th Jan 2010, 03:50
Is Fred F still flying?
Is his better half still the local fanny mechanic?

Dog One
15th Jan 2010, 08:50
Retired now, better half still working, keeping FF in the comforts he is use to!

CharlieLimaX-Ray
21st Jan 2010, 10:05
Wonder what happened to some of the guys from Lloyd Aviation?

Whatever happened to the CASA thing that they used to operate to Troughton Island?

Stationair8
2nd Feb 2010, 02:36
Is Tipperary Station still going?

goldypilot
2nd Feb 2010, 03:36
i believe so mate. i haven't been there in a year or so but it was going strong then

Stationair8
30th Jun 2010, 07:06
What was Guido's maintenace organisation called?

steelcraft
1st Jul 2010, 01:46
was it aerotec out in Winnellie

DC2Mars
20th Dec 2010, 04:44
Now there's a story, if you have a few tinnies to spare, and a couple of hours.

Dave C ;)

OZFURYFAN
20th Dec 2010, 15:16
Guido's maint org began as Darwin General Aviiation,set up purely to certify the Sea Furies as they were restored,the cert of approval was transferred to Aerotec in Winnellie which still exists being controlled by Nobby since Guido's death.Aerotec has restored a number of warbirds over the years incl 2 T-6's one of which Guido was trajically killed in,4 T-28's,the placement of the CAC Boomerang and G-59 Fiat on the Aus register,and recently the restoration of the Hoskings F4U-5N Corsair which is still happening!!!Guido & Nobby gave me my start in this crazy game in '83 and I am still involved with the Corsair at the moment.Merry Xmas all,Pete:ok:

gurney42
21st Dec 2010, 06:01
From memory the CASA 212 is now doing or was? mineral survey in various parts of aust and africa, not sure who owns it now. a couple of the Lloyd pilots ended up in the big Q and at least one in Ansett circa 1986 I think.

The rhodesian pilot who did all the endorsements in Darwin is in Spain and the tower boys at the time are still recovering from the fastest circuit known ever in a "box" and do not ask at what height. I think there was a Xmas party on and they wanted to get to it or thats what we were led to believe, but the Fanny bay Pub and sailing club certainly were on the visit list.

Times have changed. and like others Darwin has sure changed.

Aztec DCQ Williams
2nd Apr 2011, 12:06
A wonderful caring and guiding mentor and businessman who always inspired me to do more with learning better ways of doing things - Merv gave me my first start as a CPL in Darwin early in 1990 on C210 MJD which found me soon located at Lajumanu in the Tanami for the next ten months. What an adventure at 21 years of age! I will always be grateful to Merv. Hope you are well mate! - Mark

Santaclaus
4th Apr 2011, 01:06
Darwin Aero Club Memories.
Anyone knows what happened to:
Rocko Videtta
Don Mitchell
Joe from Malta

Stationair8
1st Jun 2011, 07:49
What was rego of the Pelair 330's based in Darwin?

PercyWhino
1st Jun 2011, 09:40
Don Mitchell if its who I'm thinking of is instructing at RQAC. True Gentlemen

Bigburner
2nd Jun 2011, 01:57
KNN the other

Karunch
2nd Jun 2011, 09:08
Ajp, ajk, ajs?

kellykelpie
2nd Jun 2011, 13:52
more photos please. This is the only threat worth looking at on PPrune!

tinpis
2nd Jun 2011, 22:20
Boulby, K :ok:

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9185/dsc02241x.jpg

Shed Captain, if you didnt know him perhaps your better half did....:E

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/Untitled.jpg

Sacred site:rolleyes: remember Caseys Corner at the Berrimah lights?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/wesleyscampMedium.jpg

PLovett
2nd Jun 2011, 23:11
This is the only threat worth looking at on PPRuNe!

Never a truer word spoken. :}

avi8ors
19th Aug 2011, 11:55
NTAC - Graham Ball (used to fight with Ozzie all the time!) Aaah, Graham! Scored my first job with NTAC and before I even went in for the interview, the CP and another senior pilot told me to do myself a favour and just walk away.

Still, I was grateful for flying the C402 IFR as the replacement for "George" up the Top End during the Wet. :)

TENTOTEN
19th Aug 2011, 22:45
Tinpis
Great photo PM was one of the best operators in the air and on the ground I ever came across.

tinpis
19th Aug 2011, 23:11
TENTOTEN agreed.
Another of a familiar craft around the Top End in the 80's
Probably the same man seeing as how its unusually configured :rolleyes:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/westwind.jpg

Gosh, 26 years since Luigi and Owie were were lost in Sydney.

TENTOTEN
20th Aug 2011, 00:47
Yes using the buckets to win the spot landing competition was one way of getting a free beer at the sailing club.

tinpis
20th Aug 2011, 01:03
I've been a prisoner in Darwhine 30 years in Oct .apart from a foray to the big smoke in 86
My how its changed, not all for the better, but it is still somewhere to live thats far away from the rest of OZ without actually leaving.

lurker999
20th Aug 2011, 02:43
can't really believe this thread has got this far without references to some of the worlds great nightclubs

Regines/Crystals (casino), Darbys, Fannies :suspect: (these were class establishments), Hot Gossip, and Le Club :hmm:

hurlingham
20th Aug 2011, 04:09
You missed a great Club - 'Dix'

Slasher
20th Aug 2011, 04:51
NTAC - Graham Ball (used to fight with Ozzie all the time!)

I remember having an interview with Ball - he pulled at his earlobe
while looking at me with an intense "now-how-can-I-fcuk-this-guy?"
look of a used car salesman.

Then I wandered across the lane to Ossie (Arnhem Air Charter) and
that went ok. Lasted about 2 months on the Barooon (TOV) then
Armpits gave me the arse for something minor - like calling her kid
(Eddie?) a fcuking idiot, among other things.

Headed to the Alice after that.

Can't recall the name of the CFI over at the aero club but I remember
that I got on rather well with him. Was it Don something?

Slasher
20th Aug 2011, 12:49
Ok I remember now....Don Mitchell.

tinpis
20th Aug 2011, 21:39
Good Lord, how many pilots did Ozzy turn out?

Hurlingham. Dix til Six.Now Reece plumbing store. .Spellman still in town, done very well thank you, sold a restaurant on land somebody built multi $millon apartment tower on

Desert Duck
21st Aug 2011, 02:32
Darwin Nite Life

Don Hotel Casino, then a look at Fannies and a nightcap at Dix on the way back to the Northen Suburbs as the sun came up.

Few big headaches

hurlingham
21st Aug 2011, 05:52
tinpis

Mr Spellman - I seem to recall he had a mate 'The Queen Mother of Darwin'
Peter Morgan?

CoodaShooda
21st Aug 2011, 11:36
Hurlingham

When I knew of Morgan, he was ensconced in the Tuminello (Fannies) crowd and in vicious competition with Spelman.

But that was in the period pre-dating this thread (the late 70's) and he may have changed sides after falling out with Tuminello. However, I always thought of them as competitors.

The NT News gave Morgan the full "royal" treatment when he passed on.

Cooda - DJ at Beachcombers, the Verandah Bar, Fannies and a few other places; but banned from Dix for not being gay. :E (1978-82)

tinpis
21st Aug 2011, 20:16
Er...Cooda. John let me in?????

Old bugger still goin' strong

World feeds on 'thongage' | News | NT News | Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia | ntnews.com.au (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2010/04/01/136271_ntnews.html)

http://www.ntnews.com.au/images/uploadedfiles/editorial/pictures/2010/03/31/JOHNSPELLM_SIDE_IMAGE_300PX_KJ095664_134593.JPG

Who was the English bloke had the Forge? Mike.....????

tinpis
21st Aug 2011, 21:53
Har har..Cooda wifey just yelled out perhaps "Phyllis" (resident Dix tranny) didnt fancy you.....

Man if you hadda been DJ at Lims Cage bar I would have been impressed

Lots of others The Dolphin, Sunday Prawn and Porn Nightcliff hotel,Sweethearts, Maranga for strippers (and Parap)
THE BEST STEAK Jessies, Petty Sessions, (Sweaty Passions CLP ministerial briefing room) Darbys Hookers Ball...Christ on a stick and we used to FLY as well???

CoodaShooda
21st Aug 2011, 23:45
Er...Cooda. John let me in?????

I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounds :E:E:E

The Forge is definitely taking us back to the 70's. Seem to recall it's closure led to Dix opening on the site.

DJ at Lim's?! Nah, I had hopes of a long life and didn't want to jeopardise my chances. :O

Was an interesting time to watch the changing face of drinking in Darwin.

Beachcomber closed at 11.00pm and those kicking on went to Fannies, Dix or the Cave. Never saw a fight.

Then they went to midnight close and there was a sense of tension in the air come closing time.

Finally they went to a 2.00am close and it was on for young and old every night.

Did not surprise me when the 0400/0600 closures led to mob violence in the earky hours.

By George
22nd Aug 2011, 01:49
Anybody know what happened to 'Gundy'. A real character. Hit a Buffalo on the head with a wing-tip once, frantic repair job in secret, late at night, with spare wing-tip but wrong colour. Quick spray-can paint job and owner/operator none the wiser until flying in heavy rain, only to land and discover one wing-tip blue the other mysteriously red. Kept me smiling for weeks that one. There's something in the water up there, funny days.

tinpis
22nd Aug 2011, 02:19
Gundy is alive and well and is probably plotting another closing down sale (http://maps.google.com.au/maps/place?hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=Sjf&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=s&prmd=ivnscm&resnum=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=806&bih=581&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=antiques+coconut+grove&fb=1&gl=au&hq=antiques&hnear=0x2cc093a65bce50ab:0x50217a82a247ea0,Coconut+Grove+NT&cid=9774690136297302455) as we speak :hmm:

tinpis
22nd Aug 2011, 02:27
Pity The Queen Mum never got that book out he was always talking about :hmm::E

tinpis
22nd Aug 2011, 03:41
By George just thinking on Gundy , what altitude did he say the buffalo was at? :hmm:

By George
22nd Aug 2011, 08:30
Apparently stuck its head up in tall grass at an awkward moment. The only buffalo wearing a blue hat afterwards. Looked like it belonged to Napoleon.

tinpis
22nd Aug 2011, 09:28
By George you obviously are not he, but do you or anyone else know how George Washington is these days?

By George
22nd Aug 2011, 10:06
Ah....George Washington, a lovely bloke and DC3 Captain of the old school. I remember when he dropped an F/O in a heated argument in the 'Green Room'. Young Phil went down cold, very bad CRM, not allowed to punch the Co-Pilot these days. During my Ansett years I flew on secondment with Polynesian Airlines based in Apia, Western Samoa and discovered that the great Ernest K Gann flew DC3s with them for a while. George Washington was his F/O, amazing history. George would be pushing eighty now?

tinpis
22nd Aug 2011, 10:21
George would be pushing eighty now?

I would suspect easily that ...He flew Kiwi Corsairs in the Pacific that was 44-45 wasnt it?

pithblot
22nd Aug 2011, 11:32
Good Old James. I know he decked a Rig Pig from the Tanami Mine one day. The bloke was getting a bit lippy on the Conquest so George thumped him when he disembarked – not very grandfatherly like behavior.

I heard that GW vanished two or three years ago – Hank, Gundy, JLH don’t know where he is. He would be about 85 now.

George had a very colorful history. I think it included, flying Corsairs in the battle of Midway, Spreading trials using Avengers in NZ, he flew Meteors, was a Sandringham (or was it Sunderland?) navigator and a DC3 navigator. George was a Qantas Super Connie Captain and Chief Pilot of Connair and AirNorth.

George had over 10 000 DC3 command hours.

Once I told George I’m reading this great book, Fate is the hunter…

“Ah Ernie Gann", said George, "I gave him a job once.”

Years later, I found a short story in one of Gann’s books. It tells how he (Gann) was hired by a Kiwi to ferry a Super DC3 from LA to Fiji in the late 1960s. This would be many hours over the water using DR & Celestial Nav. There was no F/O available so they convinced a local secretary with a Private Pilots License to fly in the right seat. Gann eventually married the secretary and he describes the Kiwi as a great navigator with the unlikely name of George Washington.

tinpis
22nd Aug 2011, 21:17
In 1947-9 George was ferrying these down from Hobsonville

http://www.wings.net.nz/oldwings/art/211.jpg

airdualbleedfault
23rd Aug 2011, 00:10
Is George Washington actually Jorge Washington of National Jet fame ? circa 1992-200?.
If not, awfully coincidental having 2 George/Jorge Washingtons in Oz aviation.

tinpis
23rd Aug 2011, 01:53
Is George Washington actually Jorge Washington of National Jet fame ? circa 1992-200?.
If not, awfully coincidental having 2 George/Jorge Washingtons in Oz aviation.

No not our bloke