PDA

View Full Version : 727 / DC10 why so popular as freighters

BOEINGBOY1
19th Oct 2001, 16:38
Having never been involved in the freight flying market, can i ask those of you that are, What makes a/c such as the 727 and dc10 so popular as freighter a/c. i presume purchase cost has to rate quite highly? but why not a/c like the 737 (i know there are exceptions - but nowhere near the number of 72's)

Montt
21st Oct 2001, 01:15
Popularity has to do in part with how many of the aircraft built have become available from the pax market.

This helps to explain the popularity of the 727 and DC10.

Same has happened in the past few years with the A300F4, and is now starting with the older B757 aircraft.

737-300 still far too popular and economic as a pax aircraft, and likely to still last for long in that market. Not to be found into freight market soon.

Hope this clarifies.

411A
21st Oct 2001, 08:29
Also, both are built like brick s@ithouses, especially the DC10, important in the freight business.

The Guvnor
21st Oct 2001, 19:15
Unfortunately, the B757 is not built like a brick sh!thouse, as Anglo Cargo found when they used one ... :D :D :D

BOEINGBOY1
21st Oct 2001, 21:24
thanks guy's, yep i guess those are all sound reasons.

Roc
22nd Oct 2001, 06:54
Guv, Boingboy,

The 757 is doing great work for many freight carriers that can afford them, and are built very well. To answer the original post, I've heard that the DC-10 is almost "the perfect freighter" because the third engine allows it the power to max out the cargo load and still carry all the gas it needs. Also with the third engine ETOPS routings and restrictions are moot. I was told as a pax airliner you could load it up with full tanks and full pax, and it would still have excess weight carrying capability, by flying it as a pure freighter you can load it up to max take-off weight and optimize the economics. The 727 is bullet-proof rock solid...the ones that I fly never break!!!period, pretty impressive, I have had only one mechanical in 7 years, and I have regularly flown to rescue Brand New A-300's!!Twice last week. Any DC-10 pilots care to comment on my explanation?

Loc-out
23rd Oct 2001, 20:45
Why?

I'll tell you why mate. Because they stopped the B 707 (peace be upon her) from flying in Europe. Not many a/c could compete with her. Lot of "bang for the buck" that a/c.