PDA

View Full Version : Amiltriptilyne / Getting to Sleep / Anxiety

NickGooseBrady
22nd Jan 2008, 08:15
Hello folks,

I was precribed a low dose (one 25mg tablet at night) of Amiltriptilyne as I have difficulty getting to sleep.

As soon as my head hits the pillow my head starts whirring and goes into overtime thought process mode, this is also accompanied by a sort of anxiety sensation across my whole body (similiar to nerves before a big race, public speaking etc). I was a top athlete, still do a lot of sport and am otherwise very fit.

Will taking this drug preclude me from gaining a Class 1 medical? Without it I have trouble sleeping, with it I sleep reasonably well and feel good the next day.

Please let me know.

VMT

NGB:ok:

gingernut
22nd Jan 2008, 11:43
Sorry, can't offer a definative answer, but I suspect amitriptyline could cause a few problems at medical.

Whilst recognising that this small dose is helping in your case, would it be worth exploring other non medical interventions with your doc. (Explaining to him the stringency of an aviation medical?)

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Jan 2008, 18:03
AMT is a prohibited drug for flying.

Most/all antidepressants are, primarily as they are used to treat conditions which are not compatible with being fit to fly.

So get treated (with medication/CBT or whatever), get better and then consider your options.

Loose rivets
24th Jan 2008, 01:15
I hesistate to make this post, but I will just suggest an option that I took. Do not do anything without discussing it with your GP, and only do it once. More and you're on a slippery slope.

Some years ago I had a post or two made a 'Sticky'. They were about Valium. I had a lot to say about the dangers of Benzodiazipams.sp? However, using the drug as a diagnostic tool saved my bacon when three eye surgeons failed to come up with an answer to eye pain. I asked my doctor for a small quantity of Valium and within 30 mins had the answer to weeks of pain. In this case it was spasm of the extra-ocular muscles.

The important point was that I never needed another one once I knew what was happening.

I would suggest that you obtain ONE, medium dose Valium and see what that does. You may find that it puts all your thoughts into a pleasing and relaxed order. If it does, the rest is up to you, because you will know that there is nothing seriously wrong.

I recongnise your symptoms so well, don't worry, and don't turn to drugs for more than a single test. You will have to figure out the record of such a drug being prescribed...maybe your GP would allow you one tablet from his surgery.

Right Way Up
22nd Feb 2008, 17:58
NickGooseBrady,
This may not help but do you drink diet drinks/food. I suffered very similarly to you, with what seemed like an adrenaline surge when trying to sleep for earlies. I narrowed it down finally after a few years, when I googled anxiety and adrenaline and came up with aspartame. In three months off aspartame my life has transformed, with no bad nights since.

ulsterflyer
22nd Feb 2008, 20:47
NGB

Did your Dr. not discuss other ways of improving your sleep patterns before prescribing the amitriptyline?

There are some very good alternatives to pharmacological intervention on this link: http://www.themagicofyou.co.uk/bristol/hypnotherapy/insomnia-tips.php

I would recommend getting daily physical exercise (not 30 minutes before sleep as this could cause insomnia) and avoiding stimulants. It seems to me your insomnia may be stress related and you will have to identify what is causing that stress so that you can manage it and hopefully get a good night's sleep.

If you follow these tips you may not need your amitriptyline at night. DISCLAIMER: I would discuss any decision to discontinue your medication with your Dr. before doing so!:ok:

Air Conditioned
26th Feb 2008, 01:48
I am a little surprised at the use of this medicine for a sleep problem. I had some seven weeks on it while in hospital with an infection. It then took three months of gradual reduction to get off it, with some very wierd nights at every reduction.

Wire
13th Jun 2008, 00:57
There is book called "Desparately Seeking Snoozin" which is fantastic if you have conditioned insomnia, the kind that makes your heart race and your brain go hyperactive when you are trying to sleep. Just look at the reviews on Amazon and you will see. My insomnia was kicked into gear by early wakeups back when I was flying fighters in the AF, and the fear of not getting to sleep and then just snowballed. This book works and here is the basic jist of it. Try to get up at the same time consistently, find out how much sleep you actually need to survive on, and then don't go to sleep before that time (for me, five hours). It's hard to do and is very counter-intuitive when you are already sleep deprived. But it works like a champ, works quickly after putting it into practice, and it builds your confidence in your own ability to control your sleep so that you can slowly get back to normal.

gingernut
13th Jun 2008, 20:33
Look, I'm a man of science, and you wouldn't usually find me advocating anything as puffy and herbal as this, but the old camomile tea does work wonders.

I know, I know, but it's worth a try.

Cut out caffeine 4-6 hours prior to bo bo's, and sink a cup of this wonderful stuff. I can almost guarantee it'll work.

Tastes like sh1te mind.:)

But at least I'll be as fresh as an airline pilots shirt tommorrow.

night night zzzzzzzzzzzzz

(try it, and let me know the results.)

Mac the Knife
14th Jun 2008, 19:00
Amitriptiline (a tricyclic antidepressant) isn't usually prescribed for insomnia (though it can be, because of some sedative effects).

Imovane/Zopiclone is a much better short-acting hypnotic with none of the side effects of amitryptiline.

But I have to agree with Ginge about cutting out the caffeine and chamomile tea - damned effective stuff.

[Note to self: Agreeing with Gingernut, must go and lie down]

:ok: