PDA

View Full Version : Thai cabin crew protest airborne TV soap

Ada Quonsett
21st Jan 2008, 21:03
Ian MacKinnon in Bangkok - Guardian Unlimited (http://www.guardian.co.uk/)
Monday January 21, 2008

Female flight attendants in Thailand today demanded the government pull a steamy new soap opera from television schedules after just three episodes as they say it demeans their profession.
Unions representing cabin crew from the national carrier, Thai Airways International, and the private operator, Bangkok Airlines, are to make a formal complaint to the culture ministry over the show which began last week.
The Air Hostess Wars shows flight attendants scheming for the affections of a suave and handsome married airline captain, who embarks on an affair with one of their number.

Angry cabin staff say the love triangle portrayed in the programme, which leads to fighting in the aisles and scenes of passionate sex on stopovers, bears no relation to real life and portrays them in a bad light.
"This soap opera is insulting and damaging to the reputation of flight attendants," said Noppadol Thaungthong, a Thai Airways cabin crew member leading the union's action. "It's all about sex and air hostesses beating each other up in the cabin because of love and jealousy. This kind of thing never happens."

In the protest letter prepared for the culture minister, Khunying Khaisri Sri-Aroon, the attendants argue the show's viewers may be discouraged from flying because of the damage the drama does to their image.
"People will be afraid to fly with us if they see these scenes with flight attendants slapping each other," said Somsak Srinual, acting president of the Thai Airways labour union. "Women don't fight. They just argue."
The seething flight attendants also maintained that the soap - with its tales of jealousy, revenge and cat fights - would turn off young Thais aspiring to join the profession.
"My daughter watched the show and has started to look down on my job," said another flight attendant, Pichitra Taveerat. "She asked me: 'Is it true that everyone at your job is fighting over guys?' I didn't know what to answer."

A culture ministry spokesman said he could not comment on the protest as officials had yet to see the nature of the cabin crew's complaints about Thailand's Channel 5 broadcast. But Channel 5 said it had no plans to withdraw the popular soap, with four more episodes due to screen this week. It might, however, consider editing out scenes deemed to be offensive, it added.

VS-LHRCSA
21st Jan 2008, 21:34
Sounds like Mile High. They used to have a disclaimer at the start saying something along the line of 'fiction..blah blah....doesn't depict....blah blah'

I agree, it sets back our profession 30 years.

TightSlot
21st Jan 2008, 22:52
A sort of video version of the Ryanair calendar then...?

:E

BlueTui
22nd Jan 2008, 22:57
Oh I dont know, I think it demonstrates life at Virgin quite well VS-LHRCSA:}

VS-LHRCSA
22nd Jan 2008, 23:06
I can't really comment as I was at Virgin for about 10 minutes. I'm just stuck with this username and can't be bothered to do another profile.

I'm back at BA and I know BA crew would never behave like that :} :oh:
They better not as I have to deal with the aftermath if it makes the papers.

boeingcrap
23rd Jan 2008, 16:57
Why hide the truth? A very common phenomena and it's not going back 30 years either..... I'm loving the attention and thank God I'm not married..:ok: