PDA

View Full Version : Congo

arf1410
21st Jan 2008, 20:57
Aside from Hewa Bora, anyone else currently operating jets in the Congo? Also, anyone been to Kinshasa lately and know what conditions are like there for the business traveller?

Full hope
21st Jan 2008, 22:36
AirDC is soon to start flights with BAE146 and B737 equipments

Skystar320
27th Jan 2008, 02:51
I heard another company is going to get a 146 in the coming months

JTrain
28th Jan 2008, 01:24
CAA (Compagnie Aerienne Africain), they have ~ 2 MD-80s and one B727 freighter.

I believe Bravo Air Congo is still flying (at least they were in late Dec when I left DRC), they had a couple DC-9's but their fleet and route network had shrunk considerably because of an incident/accident in the Equator region (Mbandaka? Gemena? Anyone know the facts, I hear varying stories on this).

There is another company, Transair? that flies a DC-8 between Kinshasa and Lubumbashi, I think they have a YS-11 that is working in Katanga.

In Lubumbashi, Air Katanga or ITAB operate a couple old school Hawker bizjets. There are also a couple flight departments for mining operators.

I'd suspect there's some other Congolese jet activity in N'djili like Kabila's B727 and Gulfstream, but haven't been there lately.

jt

JTrain
28th Jan 2008, 01:42
21st January 2008 16:57arf1410Congo
Aside from Hewa Bora, anyone else currently operating jets in the Congo? Also, anyone been to Kinshasa lately and know what conditions are like there for the business traveller?

Hi arf,

If you don't mind flying on shabbily-maintained airplanes, you might actually enjoy travelling around the Congo.
If you're flying business class -and keep in mind this is my personal opinion- you'll find service on any of the Congolese airlines better than a US domestic flight. You'll get reasonably courteous staff, good meal, drink, etc..... However the airplanes are decrepit, antiques, and showing sign of age, eg shabby interiors, flimsy seats, etc....
Keep in mind that all Congolese airlines and charter companies are blacklisted from flying in Europe (safety reasons). Hewa Bora had an exception last year for their L1011 and it carried through with their B767-200, but for $ reasons they had to give up that airplane.

jt