PDA

View Full Version : Who has had corrective eye surgery?

D1webby
21st Jan 2008, 15:37
I recently failed my Class 1 medical due to an astigmatism and my right eye being around the +4 mark. I am now looking down the corrective surgery route. I have had talks with my optician and he has given me the names of 2 very well respected surgeons in London. I have also spoken to friends, colleages, and associates who have had corective surgery, all of whom rave about it.

What I am interested in is finding out from current pilots and soon to be pilots, who has had corrective surgery and where did you have it done? Also were there any implications with your medicals?

mau mau
21st Jan 2008, 16:01
Hello I did my PRK laser here in Italy 8 years ago and I've done my 1 class there in Gatwick last month: no problem at all, got 1 class no restrictions.

But I was inside the limits, and the roule is to be inside the limits with or without laser intervention.

The limits, in your case, for astigmatism are 2 so should be better you ask to AME in gatwick, in case if you do laser, if you will able to repeat your visit. If they answer YES...NO PROBLEM! :ok:

You can also take an other way: you can go in USA, get FAA CPL flight licence and comeback in UK. On the basis of your FAA CPL they will do a visit but with limits more "confortable" and you will spend less money as well. So in that case -4 should be accepted.

RMarvin86
21st Jan 2008, 17:51
Mau Mau, you made my day!

Anybody here did it in this way by getting FAA license and after it converting the medical certificate in JAA ?

Is it also possible to do the surgery being OUT of the initial class 1 limits but within renuwal limits (without holding any flight license) then get an FAA class 1 and CPL license, go to GTW and convert class 1 into JAA and carry on the training in europe? Would be great.

RM86

mau mau
21st Jan 2008, 20:42
YES!

You can do LASER to correct your eyes, then go to USA to get 1 class (you can also don't tell it to them, no metter for they) and get CPL; then come back to Gatwick for your visit.
It's not a Gatwick roule to apply renewal limits for an initial visit, and it is not written anywhere, but as you hold FAA CPL, they will be free to apply renewal limits at their own discrection and they are really helpfull with pilot :ok:
After UK 1 class you can do training where you want where is mutually recognized UK.
For example with 1 class JAA got in UK it's not possible come in Italy cause it is not good here: you need to do again medical here in Italy and you will not pass because in Italy laser surgery is prohibited!