PDA

View Full Version : Airborne to lay off 640 employees

mriya225
2nd Jun 2001, 04:47
Airborne Inc. announced Friday it plans to lay off 2.5% of its workforce, or 640 employees ranging from managers to line staff, a U.S. economic slump continues to affect the express delivery company's biggest customers.

The job cuts should slash costs by $26 million to $28 million this year. Airborne, of Seattle, is squeezing costs in other areas, from tweaking flight schedules to eliminating interim financial reports to shareholders.

The layoffs included no mechanics, but Airborne fired five second officers and demoted 13 captains to first officers.

"We waited for as long as we responsibly could," says Carl Donaway, president and chief operating officer.

Source article: http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_finance.jsp?view=story&id=news/fabrn0601.xml

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

fr8poodle
4th Jun 2001, 06:32
this includes 15 flight crew members.

mriya225
4th Jun 2001, 09:47
15 flightcrew out of 640 layoffs...

That's almost 43 working stiffs to one glorious pilot!

:mad: what's your point?!

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

[This message has been edited by mriya225 (edited 04 June 2001).]

Mert
4th Jun 2001, 10:01
Mriya, why were you so upset by that post? Maybe the person does not hold any animosity toward ground personnel, and inadvertantly struck a nerve with you by neglecting to mention the others involved in the layoffs, but I didn't get the impression that it was their intention. I know there are a few people in this world who have no compassion for others, but not all of us.

mriya225
4th Jun 2001, 14:51
Right you are--I'm not too proud to admit it.

Actually, I was hoping to sneak back and dumb it down before it got picked up, but hey, it just didn't happen that way.

So forgive my previous post--I'm not sure why it got up the wrong side with me--but I overreacted and I'm sorry for the offence.

Mert
4th Jun 2001, 20:57
I figured it may have been a misunderstanding, from what I've seen of your posts you didn't seem to be the angry type at all, and you've definitely proven that you're not.

;)

before landing check list
4th Jun 2001, 21:35
Hello Mriya, good to see you again. Now just 10 below me lol.

It was fun while it lasted. Back to helos.......
j

[This message has been edited by before landing check list (edited 04 June 2001).]

mriya225
4th Jun 2001, 22:17
Mert,
You're a doll; thanks for the vote of confidence!

BLCL,
I'm so sorry to hear that you were pink slipped! I was hoping you'd sqeeze in under the wire. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Well, sugar, at least you have that alternate experience to fall back on--and pretty soon the market will bouy itself up again! Stay upbeat baby!!

------------------
"You did WHAT"?!

CargoRat2
4th Jun 2001, 23:21
Ladies & Gents.
Just thought I'd share a thought. Isn't it great that we're polite etc to each other on FD (so far);
Haven't yet seen a flaming; let's keep it that way.

------------------
rgds Rat

before landing check list
6th Jun 2001, 02:09
Mriya, not pinked yet. I have 10 BELOW me. But I can feel the hot breath of management lol
j