PDA

View Full Version : Aer Arann mayday into EGAE

Mercenary Pilot
21st Jan 2008, 11:36
Just heard an Aer Arann ATR scheduled into EIDL diverted safely into EGAE with an engine out. Well done to the crew in what I'm sure was very tricky Wx conditions. :D

Any details on what necessitated/caused the shut down?

Just a spotter
21st Jan 2008, 15:58
Earns a mention on both the RTE and Beed sites ...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0121/flight.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/7200110.stm

JAS

A-line ATR
21st Jan 2008, 20:10
Usually most of us say ATR stands for Always Try Reset. due to the regular and annoying electrical glitches which are almost always cleared by a reset.

Rare for one to lose an engine though.

Well done to the Arann Crew!

speedrestriction
21st Jan 2008, 22:25
Report on November 06 incident.

http://www.aaiu.ie/AAIUviewitem.asp?id=9948&lang=ENG&loc=1652

sr

non iron
22nd Jan 2008, 02:55
:} Tad confused, that is Londonderry isn`t it ? ( and not Derry, as in the news)

sww
22nd Jan 2008, 06:41
Derry and Londonderry is the same place .........

JB007
22nd Jan 2008, 08:29
City of Derry Airport was the requirement for PA's...

Agaricus bisporus
22nd Jan 2008, 12:34
Can anyone confirm the company callsign of Air Arann?

Some say it is "Arran"

Others insist it contains the word "The" as well...

:ugh:

modern monkey
22nd Jan 2008, 13:20
Quote: "Aer Arann mayday into EGAE"

Why write EGAE and not the name of the airport. Where is EGAE? Why do people do this? Not all of us know the ICAO code for every airport in the uk!

The Flying Cokeman
22nd Jan 2008, 14:30
Agaricus bisporus,

The correct callsign is "Aer Arann".

However many say "Arann" including myself when I once flew there a long time ago.

modern monkey,

Fair enough but it does not not take you many seconds to type in on Google/yahoo the follwing; "EGAE icao code."
And you will see links to Eglinton Airport aka Londonderry/Derry airport coming up in your results, depending on the religion you prefer ;)

TFCM

Koan
22nd Jan 2008, 15:38
ATR is indeed a reliable bird. A friend of mine had to shut an engine down due to low oil pressure. Turned out a mechanic neglected to put the oil cap back on after servicing. It all drains out after about 30 minutes! Another guy flamed out due to pilot induced fuel starvation. (Cocked up the dripsticks /fueling graph with a fuel gauge on MEL). We had one engine fire, but I cannot recall any actual mechanical failures the entire time my old carrier was flying them from 1996 to about 2002.

TwoOneFour
22nd Jan 2008, 22:09
Rare for one to lose an engine though

I understand it was a precautionary shutdown, based on suspicious readings, but that the engine didn't actually fail.

ALPHA ECHO
23rd Jan 2008, 06:52
Just a word of thanks to the moderators who seem to have removed a piece of poisonous nonsense posted earlier in this thread which stated that airlines avoided EGAE, LDY, Eglinton, Derry, Londonderry, City of Derry, Stroke city, Maiden City (Phew!!!)because of a management team that operates or used to operate there.
I made a few enquires and the same range of operators ( Aer Arann being one of course)who always have considered the Airport as an alternate in case of emergency,weather etc, continue to do so now.No change - apparently, when in trouble, an air crew or Airlines opinion of an Airport Management style comes way down the list when the're deciding where to divert to - shocker!!!

Thans again AE

fisbangwollop
23rd Jan 2008, 19:40
Just as well the train wasn't passing by as they would have had to hold till it left the station!!! Not many runways in europe affected by train movements!!!!!

Herod
23rd Jan 2008, 19:57
A useful one for the pub trivia quiz. I believe Ballykelly, the old RAF airfield, is the only known place where an aircraft has been sent around owing to the runway being obstructed by a dead sheep which had been hit by a train.

llondel
23rd Jan 2008, 20:30
Modern Monkey:

Why write EGAE and not the name of the airport. Where is EGAE? Why do people do this? Not all of us know the ICAO code for every airport in the uk!

When baffled by such things, try http://www.airlinecodes.co.uk/

I bookmarked that as a useful site some time ago.