PDA

View Full Version : Q's for Solenta pilots

BBN RADAR
21st Jan 2008, 09:44
Hi all,

I have just spent over an hour doing a few searches and read a lot of information about Solenta on here. Most of it discussed salaries so I don't really need any more info there.... But I was hoping some of you guys and gals could give me some updated information on other areas of the contract...?

Background: I am a charter pilot based in Windhoek flying the C210. When I finish up here in April I will have reached the magic 1000hrs TT. I do not have any turbine time yet (not rated on any of solenta's fleet). I have my Australian ATP subjects done.

Their website states that they will not review any C.V.s without a rating. Is it not possible to get an interview or job offer first and THEN get yourself a rating on the van for instance?
What are the length of the contracts?
I heard (word of mouth) that it is possible to do 1 month on/1 month off. But then I read on here 2 months on/one month off. What's the truth?
If I started on the van, what could I expect with regards to progression? I.e. which fleet to move to and time taken etc.?
Are they hiring pilots right now?
How is it decided upon where you will be flying?
Do they really buy you a return ticket to fly home on your month off?

Ok, Cheers in advance! :ok:

fly1981
21st Jan 2008, 12:51
Hi,

It is possible to get an interview with solenta without the rating, if you get the Job, it will be on condition you pay for the conversion, and it is done through them. The progression is good, but you will have to pay for the conversions of the aircraft you progress onto. In terms of contracts, One of their biggest contracts is 5 Weeks on 5 weeks off, all other contracts you can expect 2 months on 1 month off. Im not to sure where you heard that you have to buy your own ticket home?!but that is absolute #%!!#!!!!Your ticket home is bought with your ticket out, if you are extended for any reason, they sort the ticket out. They are always looking for crew. Without any turbine time, they are a very good option. The conversion you get is very comprehensive, the recurrent training is excellent, and the salary is not bad, all in all, a good company. Go for it!

dnk
21st Jan 2008, 14:44
Do they only take guys with ATP subjects?

Solenta
22nd Jan 2008, 04:57
BBN RADAR, dnk

If you need accurate information on Solenta, please mail / pm me.
[email protected]

I'll try and answer all your questions asap.

Paul Hurst
Chief Pilot
Solenta Aviation

BBN RADAR
26th Jan 2008, 09:46
fly1981,

cheers for that info mate.

more Q's for fly1981 and everyone:

I was looking around and found quite a few companies doing the contract work in SA. The standard appears to be "buy ur own type rating and then you can work for us".

With a 1000hrs TT (700 command - all piston) but very little twin time, which companies would be interested in employing me if I paid for my own Beech 1900 rating? As stated, I also have my Aussie ATPL subjects (not sure if this makes a difference).

Cheers. :)

Gooneybird
26th Jan 2008, 11:04
Some make you buy your own type rating, some bond for a year or more depending on a/c type.

Aussie ATPL subjects probably won't help much unless you put the type you're interested in on your Aussie license in which case you can fly on an SA validation. Check this though because my info is out of date.

Did you contact Paul at Solenta? He did offer and would be the guy to speak to there.

Piece of advice. Don't buy a type rating then go looking for a job. Get the job first.

Other contract operators are basically all at Lanseria. Your hours sound good enough to get a start.

Feel free to pm me. Where are you now? Do you have an SAA CPL?

Solid Rust Twotter
26th Jan 2008, 11:10
Buying a type rating also contributes to the erosion of conditions. Take a look at the Jetstar thread to see how this erosion is being fought by folks back in Oz.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=305071

BBN RADAR
26th Jan 2008, 12:15
Gooneybird, please check your PMs.