PDA

View Full Version : AOC help/advise required

kane667
21st Jan 2008, 06:44
Hi all, as the title says i need help/advice in regards to obtaining a AOC.
We are a group of flight instructors who own a cpl of aircrfat between us and are now want to operate for ourselves. we are all professioanlly employed in other fields but would like to have our own flying school. the problem is that none of us have the experience to hold a CFI position. but we have operated as a senior base instructor in the past. what we are requiring would ideally be someone with a AOC for PPL/CPLA who would like to enter into a business contract, so that we can opperate a remote base under their AOC.
Any advise, either positave or negative would be greatley appreciated. either as a post or a private message and if you think you can help us out that would be great

Thanks Kane

Bendo
21st Jan 2008, 07:00
G'day Kane

1/. Why can't you all just go and get casual instructor jobs at schools and Aero Clubs? saves a lot of heartache and no capital outlay...

2/. Assuming you can't/don't want to/see an opportunity, you should go and read CAO 82.3 - the one about "borrowed" AOCs. Although it can happen in some circumstances and I have done it myself more than once :ouch:, there is a bit of smoke and mirrors required to ensure it isn't looking like what it really is. :}

If you have the wherewithall to start a school, and you really believe you can make a sound business of it, I suggest you crank it up.

THEN get a CFI that you can all work under. There is an operator in Armidale that has done that... bought a school and then co-opted a qualified CFI to head it up until he can run it under his own steam.

The mob of you need to decide which of you is closest to being CFI and that person must be "fast-tracked" into getting the requisite hours/experience so you can off-load your "guest" CFI, and so that you aren't left exposed when he goes to the Airlines.

If you have all been senior instructors at remote bases, I am surprised none of you are close to being eligible to be a CFI. You CAN count some ultralight intructional time towards your Grade 1 instructor rating too - about 250 hours max out of the required 750 hours.

flog
21st Jan 2008, 09:15
Check you PMs :ok:

ForkTailedDrKiller
21st Jan 2008, 09:24
"AOC help/advise required"

Here we go again!

Repeat after me, "advice" (the noun) with a "c", and "advise" (the verb)with an "s" !

Dr :8

Jabawocky
22nd Jan 2008, 01:56
That is two threads in one page.:ugh:

Send them back to school hey Doc!

J:ok: