PDA

View Full Version : Staying awake

Dockjock
1st Jun 2001, 07:15
If there is one bad thing about this job, its that the early morning callouts require you to be at the airport before the newspapers hit the street.

How's a guy supposed to stay awake in cruise with nothin' to read! Suggestions please :)

Area Juliet
1st Jun 2001, 07:44
Myself, I find that a dodgy autopilot that may (does) decide to go sleep itself and isn't coupled to any nav/gps, along with a radio stack that likes to listen to static at the slightest sign of precipitation combine to keep me awake for at least 50% of the cruise. As for the other 50% I would like to thank cessna for their seat design. Never could get comfortable and whenever my head flops against the cabin, the vibrations remind me of an old girlfriends special friend she kept in the bedside drawer.

ironbutt57
1st Jun 2001, 15:34
Best kind of airplane to sleep in is anyone powered by allison 501's/T56 a la Electra/CV-580....rpm prop niose is just right for a good nap, built back when airplanes had comfortable seats

Flap Sup
1st Jun 2001, 17:09
Coffee! The only true relion for pilots.
FS

Top Loadie
1st Jun 2001, 22:17
How about a real enthusiastic, wide-eyed jumpseater who's never been on a flight deck before. The boundless energy radiating from behind an excited grin, and question after question after question......

Dockjock
1st Jun 2001, 23:13
Actually come to think of it, a considerate co-pilot's (who has swallowed four or five cups of stale coffee) breath tends to do the trick nicely as well.

<sniff><sniff> something burning??

ragspanner
2nd Jun 2001, 04:33
Ironbutt57,
the 188's,580's or 130's you've flown on must have had silky sync'.The last time i flew on an a/c powered by mr Allisons little miracles, it was more akin to a night spent in a tumble drier with two house bricks !.
Still nothing to beat instant power in a crisis,vibe or no vibe !.

Who loves yah, NO ONE !!!!!.

CargoRat2
2nd Jun 2001, 13:55
Why on earth do you want to stay awake? Against the rules for L/Ms!!

------------------
rgds Rat

Top Loadie
3rd Jun 2001, 03:37
I beg to differ with Ironbutt57's comments on sleeping on an Electra. I used to find that the moment you came into contact with any part of the aircraft, the vibrations would go right through you to the point that your eardrums began to resonate. As for the comfortable seats remark, you must really have an Ironbutt!

Metro man
3rd Jun 2001, 16:36
The seats on Metros were designed to prevent you from falling asleep by causing back pain.However after a 2.30am take off sometimes this fails and the old stand by of strong coffee comes in ,if this is not available I've taken to carrying a can of extra caffine cola in my flight bag.Not good for you I know but better than falling asleep single crew.

ironbutt57
3rd Jun 2001, 20:34
ahhhhh the Metro...aka "Texas torture tube"

Dark Skies
6th Jun 2001, 23:19
So there I was making coffee in the cruise.

I say to the Captain how do you like yours? He turns around and gives the old stock answer....'I take my coffe like I take my women'! What I exclaimed!! Your going to pay me $75 for it!!!

------------------
Remember' Freight is the Hunter'

drop bags bar
7th Jun 2001, 00:26
"Captain we don't serve stupid, giggly coffee"

Beaver Driver
7th Jun 2001, 00:35
I heard of one captain that claimed he didn't need to stay awake, that his F/O was always wide awake. When asked how come he flew with so many wide awake F/O's he claimed that when he introduced himself to them he always gave them a big kiss and a pat on the butt. To nervous to sleep after that I guess.

More tea Vicar???
8th Jun 2001, 13:10
Coffee , twisties, and a snickers bar.

------------------
"Look at those two at the bar!". "Yeah they'll come over when they wanna get laid"