PDA

View Full Version : Age limit on cargo pilots + what is pay and location like?

TG910
22nd Jan 2002, 02:40
Hi,. .I know very little about freight operations and was wondering does the age 60 rule apply to those pilots...? Also what is the pay like? Please take no offence, but I get the impression that freight pilots dont get nearly the amount of respect that airline pilots get....why?. .Also is it fair to assume that the possibility of getting based in Asia is much higher than that as an airline pilot. Places like Manila and Hong Kong are popular arnt they? Where else in Asia is popular to be based + what is the pay like?. .Thanks in advance!

Hogg
22nd Jan 2002, 19:42
Well, I know of a guy who flys B727F in Europe at 61 as skipper.. .I think its more of a company rule as Ive also heard of other "exceptions"!

At my company its normal to retire from the left seat at 60, but no problem continuing in the right until 65. or for F/E until the company retire you! or you just want more time doing the garden!

As far as Im aware there is a couple of cases going to happen re: contracts given originally to capts up to age 65 but company now saying "retire from the lhs at 60"!

In my opinion its stupid to one day be legal and fit to operate lhs then be put in a seat that you may not have been in for 30 odd years!

If its French law, then keep the guys away from the French FIR but for christs sake dont change their seats.. .Plenty of non French flights!

Pay quite good in freight, maintenance etc better in my opinion as well with the ageing aircraft program.

As for recognition, well we just happy to ply our buisness quitely, we have a great laugh everywhere we go!

As for routes we fly all over central europe, southern med, and little bit of "east " europe and as far north as celand the odd time. Plenty of snow, ice, beaches, sun, rain but best of all the fun we have. Loadsa Laughs on overdays!. .Try it.

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: Hogg ]

[ 22 January 2002: Message edited by: Hogg ]</p>

spotters badge
22nd Jan 2002, 21:37
How does job availability generally compare with passenger flying?

Loc-out
22nd Jan 2002, 22:31
Right now, probably a lot better!!